Need Help what is this ECL? Last stand for Campagin.

Chris Nagle

First Post
My party are going against the bad guys. It is based in the Forgotten Realms with the Red Wizards of Thay supporting Blackguard just north of Waterdeep.

They have build an enclave that they have just used to summon a Balor to assist them.

The follow is what is there can any help with what this ECL is? The party are going to attack so I need some help.

Leaders
Wizard(W)5/Red Wizard(RW)10/Archmage(AchM)5=Wiz20
Bodyguard Fighter(F)5/Thayan Knight(TK)5/Devoted Defender(DD)6=16

Cleric(C) of Bane16
Bodyguard F5/TK5/DD6=16

Ex-Paladin10/BlackGuard(BG)10

Rogue(R)5/Assasin(Ass)10

Troops

W5/RW9 x2
W5/RW6 x4
W5/RW3 x8
C12 x2
C9 x4
C7 x8
F7/TK5 x4
F5/TK5 x8
F5/TK2 x16
F6/BG10
ExPal6/BG10
F6/BG7 x2
ExPal6/BG7 x2
F6/BG3 x8
F6/BG1 x16
F5 x32
R5/Ass5 x4
R2/Sorc4/Ass4 x2
R5/Ass3 x6
R5/Ass1 X10
R5 x20

Other Troops

Orcs
100 Orcs
10 Sgts F3
5 Lieutenants F5
2 Capts F7
1 Chief Half-Fiend-Orc F11

Trolls
6 Trolls
1 Troll/BG3
1 Half-Fiend Troll/BG5

Demons
1 Balor
1 Glaberazu
2 Vrocks

The base has a tower at the centre 100 feet wide at base which goes up 250 feet to 20 foot wide at top.

200 feet from the base of the tower is a circlar wall 20 foot high and 20 foot thick.

Currently the party are 6 players average 15th level.

Characters
Fighter/Ranger 18
Cleric/Paladin 17
Sorcer 17
Wizard 14
Cleric 14
Wizard 14

Thanks to the Cleric they are currently in Wind Walk form 500 feet above the base checking it out.

This is the final fight in the campagin.

I want to know what the ECL is and what XP I should give the party IF they survive or they run away after killing some of them.

Any thoughts?!?!?

Last edited:

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Chris Nagle said:
Thanks. CRGreathouse but can you tell me how you worked this out?

Do you think it's too much?

I'd tell you how I worked it out, but it's a little complex - if you're cool with formulae (and/or Excel worksheets), I'll explain it later. For now, just take my word.

If the party faces them all at once, they'll be killed within 3 rounds, if not sooner. If they face each creature individually *and can heal and regain spells in between* they have a fair chance of winning.

Since I assume the baddies won't be so obliging, I'd say the party is dead. As a general rule, a CR of 5 or more beyond a part's level results in almost-certain death (TPK). This is more than 8 beyond the party's level!

Chris Nagle

First Post
Thanks if you have the excel spreadsheet can you advise where to get it from.

They will not be attacking the party at once as the party has surprise and a lot of the smaller guys are outside the tower.

The Balor and the leaders will not be involved unless the party attacks and kills 60% of the guys in 10 rounds.

After 10 rounds the leaders will send someone to find out what is going on. Then they be attacked by the pack.

Thanks for the help.

Werdnam

First Post
You also asked about XP. Of course, if you're sticking to how the DMG explains awarding XP, then the XP amount is independent of the Encounter Level. You give experience for each creature defeated according to its CR and the party's average level, and then add up all those individual XP awards.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but...

Assuming the leaders play smart and you don't pull your punches.

Your party is dead. They'll never make it.

Seriously, a lot of the "troops" have as many character level as the weaker members of your party! This is insane. You seem to have spent a lot of time designing all the forces defending the tower, yet unless the PCs can manage to avoid all of these guys entirely they'll fail before even reaching the bosses. They won't have the ressources to take this horde and the leaders one after the others.

As for the leaders...

Two of the leaders are level 20 and the "bodyguards" are so tough that they could be leader in their own rights! And on top of that you have a Balor... Unless the PC gain surprise they won't even be able to win against them even if fully rested.

Last edited:

Chris Nagle

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
I'm not sure if I understand correctly but...

Assuming the leaders play smart and you don't pull your punches.

Your party is dead. They'll never make it.

Seriously, a lot of the "troops" have as many character level as the weaker members of your party! This is insane. You seem to have spent a lot of time designing all the forces defending the tower, yet unless the PCs can manage to avoid all of these guys entirely they'll fail before even reaching the bosses. They won't have the ressources to take this horde and the leaders one after the others.

As for the leaders...

Two of the leaders are level 20 and the "bodyguards" are so tough that they could be leader in their own rights! And on top of that you have a Balor... Unless the PC gain surprise they won't even be able to win against them even if fully rested.

Almost insane... I have set this up to finish this campagin. If they succed in killing them all or 60 - 80% the Wizards and Clerics will flee to save there own hide as they are EVIL.

If they get thru it the party will most likely be 20th level plus and they will become Epic Level Characters and as the book is not out they will be retired.

If they die the campagin ends anyway.

They all have access to items and spells that will return them to Waterdeep where they can get the City Guard/Watch and the Lords of Waterdeep involved but the Party thinks they are so tought they can take them out.

They have already fought the Balor before and kicked it's ass....
Now the party are going after the Black Guard base where it was summoned.

I maybe crazy but it will be very interesting to see how the party handle it. I expect 4 to die to 2 to go running for their lives...:D :D :D

Remove ads