need help with cr for 2 character party

wolfpunk

First Post
My group has recently changed from a four person party, to a two person group. As a DM before I had no trouble with Challenge Ratings. However, I am a bit unsure of how to go about determining appropriate CR now that I only have two players.

Could anyone give me a quick lesson in this, or point out a page number where I can find the answer?

I appreciate any help I can get, and I suspect my players will too.

MythandLore

First Post
wolfpunk said:
My group has recently changed from a four person party, to a two person group. As a DM before I had no trouble with Challenge Ratings. However, I am a bit unsure of how to go about determining appropriate CR now that I only have two players.

Could anyone give me a quick lesson in this, or point out a page number where I can find the answer?

I appreciate any help I can get, and I suspect my players will too.
Check out DMG p.102
If you need more help post with what.

graydoom

First Post
IIRC, you'll need to give them challenges 2 or 3 CR below normal.
Might also help to have an NPC or two accompany them, either a cohort or two or some independent NPC.

Falex

First Post
It seems pretty simple. You lost 50% of your members, you can try by taking their character sheets and screwing around with what you had planned for the future for them. Try lowering the mobs by say, 50%? Whereas say a 4 person party encountered 6 orcs, a 2 person party would be suited for 3 orcs. It also depends on the classes of your remaining players. If ones a mage and the others a thief, you may want to encorperate a DM-run NPC for the party which can tank. If ones a tank and the others a healer, kudos. If worse comes to worse, scrap the campaign, and revamp it for a 2 person party =).

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Two characters of the same CR have a combined EL of CR + 2. A party of two characters with the same ECL should generally face creatures of CR = ECL - 2 (CR = ECL + 2 for deadly, climactic battles).

A goblin Ftr5 and ogre Bbn3 hav a combined EL of 7.

A human Wiz7 and dwarf Ftr4/Bbn3 generally fights CR 5 monsters, with "boss monsters" of CR 9 or so.

All of this is by the book; an experienced DM will adjust these as needed.

Ace32

Explorer
It might just be my group, but I find that for every 2 people more than the 'normal' base of 4, I add have battles +1 EL for the usual of that average party level, and for less people, I subtract 1 EL.

wolfpunk

First Post
Thank you all very much. It is rather difficult sometimes to decide where to begin when you have to undergo a dramatic change in a campaign, especially when it is unforseen. I will start with using CR-2 and see how that works out. I appreciate the prompt feedback.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases