Need help with Loot Division

jensun

First Post
You don't need a system for distributing treasure 'more fairly', you need a group that is willing to cooperate. I'd ask the fighter if he's out of his mind and if he didn't have a GOOD answer, I'd give him the boot.

But, yeah, I've never gamed with strangers. If that's a typical example of the behaviour to be expected I also never will.
I think its very variable. If you are playing as part of a large gaming club or group then the people you play with might not quite be strangers but arent necessarily close friends either.

I have been a part of groups like that where there are multiple different games running and group make up changes around from time to time. You inevitably end up with situations where people have a clash of expectations.

jensun

First Post
I used to play in a 3e group which calculated the exact value of everything on a spread sheet and then make sure the cash was divided evenly taking account of the value of magic items given out.
Also, whilst hesitating to raise this issue (although its relevant for every edition which has magic item selling) you see this a lot in WoW.

Loot distrubtion is probably the biggest cause of group meltdown in WoW. As the Mage you may think that the awesome staff that just dropped would be great for you but to the fighter its equally great as he can pretty easily exchange it for something equally great for him.

Obviously the comparison isnt exact between the two (most D&D games dont have instant access world spanning auction houses run by tinker gnomes) but the mindset is not that uncommon.

Asmor

First Post
Also, whilst hesitating to raise this issue (although its relevant for every edition which has magic item selling) you see this a lot in WoW.

Loot distrubtion is probably the biggest cause of group meltdown in WoW. As the Mage you may think that the awesome staff that just dropped would be great for you but to the fighter its equally great as he can pretty easily exchange it for something equally great for him.

I've got two level 70s, and I can't think of any time that's ever been an issue (and I do most of my instances in pickup groups, i.e. with strangers). That's not to say it hasn't happened, it has a small handful of times, but it's been so rare and never particularly noteworthy that I honestly can't remember anything.

WoW's need-or-greed system is perfect, and for the most part people are pretty cool about it. For those who don't know how it works, whenever a magic item is found, the game displays a window to everyone in the group where they can either choose need or greed. If anyone chooses need, then everyone who chose need rolls for it; if nobody chooses need, then everyone who chose greed rolls for it randomly.

The general rule, of course, is that you should only roll need for things that the character you're playing actually needs, so you shouldn't for example roll need on a sweet robe that would be perfect for your mage while you're playing your warrior. It's also common courtesy to ask before rolling need, though not strictly necessary (especially if the item is obviously good for you).

jensun

First Post
WoW's need-or-greed system is perfect, and for the most part people are pretty cool about it. For those who don't know how it works, whenever a magic item is found, the game displays a window to everyone in the group where they can either choose need or greed. If anyone chooses need, then everyone who chose need rolls for it; if nobody chooses need, then everyone who chose greed rolls for it randomly.
Trust me, back in the day when that shiny purple BOE sword dropped and no-one had yet gotten their epic land mount you would see everyone rolling need.

I have 4 70's across three servers and screams of "ninja" are still common in general chat and on the forums.

jensun

First Post
I've got two level 70s, and I can't think of any time that's ever been an issue (and I do most of my instances in pickup groups, i.e. with strangers). That's not to say it hasn't happened, it has a small handful of times, but it's been so rare and never particularly noteworthy that I honestly can't remember anything.
Actually I will go even further and say that it even affects groups of friends playing together.

Raid loot distribution is almost always one of the main points of potential tension in any guild. To use DKP or not, if so which version, how to handle people who are late or dont come with consumables or leave early. How to avoid points whoring, bid sniping, officer favouritism.

Biggest issue of potential dispute in the game. I have seen more than one guild of apparently sane and friendly people either implode or splinter into seperate guilds over just this issue.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
We've always divided treasury down to the g.p., with shares based on how much of the adventure you were around for. Once you know your share value, and once the magic items have been ID-ed and valued, you then claim what you want. Disputes are sometimes talked through in character but more often (for convenience) rolled off. If you want something and can't afford it, you either have to a) arrange to borrow money from someone in the party, or b) sell something you already own to raise the money, or c) let it go. Unclaimed items get sold.

A rare exception is the situation where one item represents an inordinate amount of the total treasury and is also somethign the party Really Needs. What usually happens here is the item gets "carried forward" into the next adventure's treasury, with notes as to who owns shares in it and how much said shares are worth (this is relevant when a character decides to leave the party and wants her share paid out). Eventually, one character usually ends up buying all the others out, over time, and takes full ownership of the item.

The reason we do it this way is that every time another division method gets tried e.g. take-what-you-need, a draft system, or whatever, someone (usually the player with the most system knowledge) invariably comes out way ahead.

Lanefan

Mazlyn

First Post
Many Thanks

Thank You all for the thoughtful replies. Our discussions have brought us to a "gold equivalency system" where a tally is kept of each item chosen and the members will choose lowest to highest at each dispersal. This still doesnt deal with appropriate equipment to PCs or item "bleed" from the party for gold.

As to the WoW point, I actually did look at applying a DKP concept to the situation but have a hard time dealing with the participation factor. We have a member missing 2 out of 3 right now. Dont want to fire him but by the same token dont want him to come in on the last day of a module and be the "low" man by default.

Thanks again for the responses.

Mr. Wilson

Explorer
My immediate thought was DKP, Suicide Kings, or Loot Council.

I then took that thought and shot it through it's dirty head (reformed Hardcore WoW Raider, sorry).

Honestly, if you're playing with friends, we've always just kinda given people what would be best for their PCs, and sold and divided everything else as GPs.

This is, after all, not an MMORPG, despite what some would have you believe.

hopeless

Adventurer
Reg: loot

New 4e party with veteran RPG players. We need a "fairer" system of dividing loot at the end of missions. One that gets items to the right PCs but still allows some freedom of choice. I just wondered what systems others used.

Our current system is "strict" order. We rolled for order at the outset of the campaign and with each pick, your name goes to the bottom of the list. Great until an orb cames up and the wizzie is at the bottom. The fighter is now richer but the party is poorer.

Any suggestions appreciated! Thx!

I'm surprised it wasn't given to the wizard under the premise he has a use for it and the fighter doesn't.

I remember in a game I played in we found an enchanted ring that the elven wizard identified to be a ring of spell turning and I asked it be given to the dwarf fighter as he usually set off any traps we came across if the rogue couldn't get there in time.

Of course he refused so the next time we picked up some gear whilst his player wasn't present I ended up with a cloak of protection +7 and the thief a set of bracers +3 and we ended up swapping them much to the ire of the elven wizard but back then it became clear that if he identified the items anything useful he'd claim in a heartbeat regardless of whether it was fair or not.

Anybody else experienced this?

Remove ads