• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need hints and ideas for my fighter

anest1s

First Post
Hei thx for all the feedback! You know, when staring at something for too much you enter a sorta of "tunnel thinking" not easy to come out. I really appreciated all the comments.

Sadly i cannot join the Zenth, we had some troubles with them AND they use to kill childsrape momsslave fathers and all that kind of sweeties.. all in all our group is not THAT bad. But i do agree Zenth rocks.

Neither Kensai is an option.. Banned (as Divine Metamagic is) by our master.

Anyway, feats are:
Weapon focus (guisarme), PowAttack
Combat Reflex, Expert Tactician
Combat Expertise, Imp. Trip
Mage Slayer, Imp. Initiative
Familiar Object (if that's the name)

For future feats: yeah, i was looking at deft opportunist and other combat ref feats. But isn't StandStill a psion feat wich requires to have "psion points" pool?

Btw i menaged to get DCv1 and Oriental adventures.. i know what to read tonight ;)

So you already have mage slayer...this means you better forget spellcasters :p

How about getting monkey grip, and a spiked shield? You could threat both adjacent and 10ft away squares, adjacent with your shield and 10ft away with the guisarme. You won't be two weapon fighting This way if you have a wizard at 5ft, he can't just 5ft away to cast. And if you put on the spikes of the shield some dimensional anchor enhantment, and continue with the Mage Slayer feats, you will probably be the wizards nightmare.

(I don't know though, do you get the two weapon fighting for this? You are attacking with either one weapon or the other, so I am not sure)

So you go like this:
-Charge at the wizard with shield+Dim anchor him
-Don't let him cast or leave (you have more than enough AOO for both, and you can trip him to stop him from leaving)
-If he withdraws you charge him
-Kill him while he tries to find a way out

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How about getting monkey grip, and a spiked shield? You could threat both adjacent and 10ft away squares, adjacent with your shield and 10ft away with the guisarme.

I'm a fan of monkey grip, but this won't work...because he'll need 2 hands on the guisarme and thus, gains no benefit from a shield at all.

Spiked armor, OTOH...

anest1s

First Post
How does Binding work? Swift action to activate? Do you have to roll to hit a target with the shield or...?

Yeah, swift to activate, and any successful attack on your round dim. anchors for 10mins

[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION] can't he use a medium guisarme in one hand, as a large one-handed weapon, with -2?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I believe that may work under the 3Ed rules, but not in the 3.5 Ed rules.

Besides, why would you do that with a guisarme? You'd be taking a penalty for using an undersized weapon, it's damage would drop to 1d6, and it would lose it's effective reach. Essentially, it would be like fighting with a bad shortsword.

Last edited:

anest1s

First Post
I believe that may work under the 3Ed rules, but not in the 3.5 Ed rules.

Besides, why would you do that with a guisarme? You'd be taking a penalty for using an undersized weapon, it's damage would drop to 1d6, and it would lose it's effective reach. Essentially, it would be like fighting with a bad shortsword.

I think maybe I wasn't clear...

Without monkey grip, you can use a medium sized guisarme as a two-handed weapon.
With monkey grip, you can use a large sized guisarme as a two-handed weapon.
So, with monkey grip, you should be able to use a medium sized guisarme as a one-handed weapon?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Nope.

CompWar
"You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change.
<snip>
"

(emphasis mine)

IOW, an oversized 2 hand weapon is still treated as a 2 hand weapon.

The 3.5 version is completely silent on weapons of normal size. However, since it says expressly that it doesn't change the effort required to wield an oversized weapon, I certainly don't see it changing the effort to wield a normal sized one.

As I recall, though, the original 3Ed one DID allow this stunt.

anest1s

First Post
Nope.

CompWar
"You can use melee weapons one size category larger than you are with a -2 penalty on the attack roll, but the amount of effort it takes you to use the weapon does not change.
<snip>
"

(emphasis mine)

IOW, an oversized 2 hand weapon is still treated as a 2 hand weapon.

The 3.5 version is completely silent on weapons of normal size. However, since it says expressly that it doesn't change the effort required to wield an oversized weapon, I certainly don't see it changing the effort to wield a normal sized one.

As I recall, though, the original 3Ed one DID allow this stunt.

So one can't wield a Small or -hell- not even a Tiny or a Diminutive or a Fine guisarme in one hand >.>

I always just assumed it was this way :-S

Anyway, maybe his DM would allow it...I know I would :hmm:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads