• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Need idea for a low level 3.5 campaign.

Empirate

First Post
[MENTION=6698275]Dozen[/MENTION]:

I was going on about ease of play, not about customizability. Cherrypicking spells might be better - if you're willing to invest the time and energy (and can command the system mastery) to make it better. That's not a given, however. For a player with less experience, or without much motivation to dumpster dive for the best spells, the Beguiler's spell list will provide most all you'll ever want.

Also, creativity pays huge dividends, since the entire character archetype relies on it, that much is true. But if you have no good ideas what to do with Silent Image or Suggestion, you should probably go for a different kind of character altogether, right?

And your final point I don't get at all: Beguilers can shut down other trickster type casters... how is that a bad thing? And how do Beguilers need to be on their guard and casting their abjurations all the time - especially more so than other casters?

Rakusia

First Post
think its a homebrew but its not gamebreaking play as a faceless. internets slow so no link but its easy to find on dndwiki. its definitely different and allows the monkey wrenches your thinking about, if im understanding your intentions right

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Starting in a 3.5 campaign, first one in years. It will be a low level campaign, maybe up to level 10, starting at LDL 1. I have been thinking something like Beguiler, Totemist, Ardent, Monk or Soullknife/Soulbow.

Ok, well, this DMs campaigns are more about thinking are real RPing than about raw power. What I'm looking for is something interesting. I like to play characters who either throw a monkey wrench into things or are the monkey wrench....beguiled is out.
I have access to all books if I need them but complete warrior and Mage are out.
It is primarily going to be an Urban setting and as I mentioned the whole world is fairly low powered.

Low level, low powered, urban setting, monkey wrench. This helps me help you.

For role playing purposes, Soulknife/soulbow in an urban setting could be fun. You can appear unassuming and unarmed at all times, except when you don't want to be. If it's a lower powered campaign and you don't need to keep up with the tier 1 classes, then this might be an excellent choice. Learn how to customize your weapons to suit the need, and expect to play a character that's good at stabbing.

Totemist is very fun. I played a Shifter totemist for a little while and he was literally a beast, I'd encourage you to learn how to make the most of natural attacks if you don't already. After being able to make 4+ attacks at your full BAB in a full attack, you'll never want to swing a sword again. Figure out which soulmelds are your favorite and go to town.
However, it is very hard to blend into an urban setting with glowy stuff around you and extra animal body parts. Since you set your soulmelds and they stay on all day, you can't really suppress or dismiss them without having to wait till the next day to get them back. If your DM will allow you to houserule some way for all your cool soulmelds to not be visible when you want them to be, then consider this. If not, you'll be the walking freakshow in an urban environment, and that might make roleplaying hard (or really, really fun, depending on how you guys play).

Ardent could fit as well as a Cleric or Paladin, only you can get away with being less shiney or holy-seeming. with the alignment personality, could be fun to roleplay. I've never played one though.

Are Warlocks or Factotums an option?

sirade1

First Post
Thanks Rumbletiger, I think you hit one of the nails on the head. I don't think I am comfortable with Natural attacks (at this point) to really know that I will manag the Totemist well. Maybe that's the next thing I do, get informed on that. And check with the DM on if we can do something about the visibility aspect. I don't mind him being a bit of a freak, but its hard to imagine them letting a Totemist in to meet a noble or something. :)
I wasn't impressed with Factotum, didn't feel like me, but warlock might be an option. We already have 1 arcane character so that is something to consider.

religion in this area is a bit different, more ancestral worship than deities. Which complicates Divines a little bit.
did you have any thoughts on a race if I went Totemist? We're doing a 30 point buy

Dozen

First Post
Ok, well, this DMs campaigns are more about thinking are real RPing than about raw power. What I'm looking for is something interesting. I like to play characters who either throw a monkey wrench into things or are the monkey wrench.

Oh. Sorry, OP. Didn't catch that, my bad. I can still argue about barely related topics with Empirate, right?^^'

I was going on about ease of play, not about customizability. Cherrypicking spells might be better - if you're willing to invest the time and energy (and can command the system mastery) to make it better. That's not a given, however. For a player with less experience, or without much motivation to dumpster dive for the best spells, the Beguiler's spell list will provide most all you'll ever want.
A-ha! Okay, I think we have a conflict of terminology here. The Beguiler spellist doesn't make play easier. The right word is convenient. It's convenient to have a big bunch of pretty rad spells handed over to you - all is left to figure out what they can do. And that's a very good deal for new players, absolutely! Spares them from a whole bunch of bookkeeping that have discouraged some aspiring roleplayers before. But that doesn't make gameplay easy. In fact it's the opposite. Read the last part of this post if you're not convinced.

Also, creativity pays huge dividends, since the entire character archetype relies on it, that much is true. But if you have no good ideas what to do with Silent Image or Suggestion, you should probably go for a different kind of character altogether, right?
No! Absolutely not. Take me as an example. I have no clue how to use Silent Image. I never tried, or was interested in it. On the flipside, I've won whole adventures at a time with a single casting of Illusory Script.
Creativity is not so black and white that you either have groundshattering ideas for every spell there is or become completely clueless when a spell's effect can't be expressed in damage dice and an energy type. There is plenty of room for a middle ground.

And your final point I don't get at all: Beguilers can shut down other trickster type casters... how is that a bad thing?
It isn't. Look at the context, I said that to stress they are aware, as Beguilers, that Beguilers can be defeated through common forms of magic, and they responded by learning the same forms of magic.
Now, the Beguiler spellist, as extablished between us already, is pretty utilitarian. Yet they were actually impressed enough to implement detection spells, a kind of divination totally unrelated to beguiling other people, into their basic tactics. It goes on to show just how immensely effective these spells are against Enchantments and Illusions, and that they acknowledge they are not above being fooled. Which brings me to your last question:

And how do Beguilers need to be on their guard and casting their abjurations all the time - especially more so than other casters?
Because you don't need to make an especially impressive Knowledge(Arcana) check to know that not only most of a Beguiler's power consists of smoke and mirrors(in case the name "beguiler" wasn't a dead giveaway to begin with), but it's also always the same set of tricks, all the time, with miniscule variations. It's the innermost end of the two-bladed sword that is the Enchantment and Illusion schools, combined with a predetermined selection. You see, the act of fooling someone heavily relies on the assumption your targets don't know they are being fooled - or, at the very least, are a little hazy on how they are, exactly, being fooled. When faced with a Beguiler, both the fact and the method is given, so what does he have left?

For most casters, exposure is far from the end of the word. Hell, in most situations your fame actually helps(unless you're playing Dark Sun, in which case you're f*cked, obviously), especially if they tart it up or twist it for their purposes. In the face of mortal danger, casters can shrug, then depart for another plane of existence. They can step back and wipe out half the room with a Standard Action. They can draw their weapon as they stand in the middle, just daring everyone to try and kill them. All of those, and many more are possible steps, depending on what they are good at. The Beguiler? In this situation the best he can manage is Legion of Sentinels, Shadow Walk, plus a load of mind-affecting spells that allow for a save. Oh, and Shadow Conjuration/Evocation can save the day, but then again, using them effectively kinda defeats the point in playing a class that's main abstract attraction is being easy on newbies.

Everything else is just a trick of light. And everyone present knows he's harmless like so at that point.

Thus his best bet is to avoid being recognized as a Beguiler altogether. Conceal his presence in combat, maybe hide in plane sight as a bystander, doing his very best to keep his enemies in the dark. And that's not easy.

Last edited:

Empirate

First Post
[MENTION=6698275]Dozen[/MENTION]: I think I understand where you're coming from now, and you make some compelling points, which just beg for another answering post. However, since the OP stated that Beguiler was out anyway, this sounds like a different topic then. You want to open it up?

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Warlock can do a handful of things really well, all the time. I played one, it's surprising how many things you can mess with using an at-will shatter ability, and an at-will spider climb gets you anywhere. Simple, efficient and can be made to seem classy. They are a Charisma based class, after all. You're not really a caster, you're more like a decent damage (not impressive damage) ranged attacker with a small number of tricks.

How about Archivist? All the casting of a Cleric but you get to act like Indiana Jones, and you don't need deities. You can gain the Druid spells. If you can manage the bookkeeping, you can have all the Summon Monster and Summon Nature's Ally spells, plus oodles of other abilities. You can tailor it to be as high or low powered as you need it to be.

Honest suggestion for a Totemist Race? Strongheart Halfling, midget ball of fury.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
Honest suggestion for a Totemist Race? Strongheart Halfling, midget ball of fury.

Hear, hear! Nothing says murder like a guy within punching distance of your crotch when standing up!

...you're more like a decent damage (not impressive damage) ranged attacker with a small number of tricks.

Not Impressive? Ranged? You're not playing Warlocks right. *cough*Clawlock*chough*

Why, no. That's not pretend coughing to cover up what I say. It's all I can manage after being hit by a Shou Disciple's Vitriolic Mortalbane Beast Strike Claws. Now, excuse me while I dissolve into caustic goo from the aftereffect in the corner.

Last edited:

Clawlock requires the Eldritch Claws feat from Dragon 358, so it might very well be off the table in this and other instances. If the feat is allowed then Clawlocks definitely rock when it comes to damage (especially with Beast Strike

If you're thinking of Soulbow, I might have an idea for you. Go Dwarf and get Ancestral Knowledge as well as Zen Archery and Knowledge Devotion. Lots of use out of Wisdom right there along with Soulbow. Add a monk level (or two swordsage levels) to get Wis to AC on top of Wis to attack, damage, and skills that can boost your attack and damage.

By the way, are you using the fractional BAB and/or saves system? Soulknives are 3/4, as are Soulbows, and both monk and swordsage are too so if you are, you won't get screwed on BAB. If you aren't using those I guess you'll probably not be keen on much multiclassing (and definitely not if the DM is using multiclass penalties).

Last edited:

Remove ads