Need name for an Angel - anyone familiar with Hebrew or Ancient Hebrew?

PCD

Explorer
Hmmm...in my Encyclopedia...Gad is an archaic term synonymous is 'God'. Perhaps, over time it has become "fortunate". Which makes sense. Everything I have heard about God, I'd say he is one fortunate being. ;)

teitan

Legend
I also suggest finding an Enochian dictionary, combining various letters in Enochian produces different sorts of angels.

Another option for the Hebrew route is finding words that mean what you want the angels name to mean and add El or An. Malkuthiel would be Lord of the Kingdoms. Binaiel would be the Angel of Wisdom etc. Kind of a simple method extracted from the Hermetic Order of the GOlden Dawn but if you really just want the sound of a Hebrew name finish the name in El or iel. I am a Kabbalist but I am not fluent in Hebrew... here is a good Qliphothiel, Angel of Whores....

Jason

Torm

Explorer
I like the link someone suggested above as a guide for the hierarchy of angels, but you might find http://www.sarahsarchangels.com/angelofday/index.html useful, too. It has an alphabetical list of angel names and a brief description of what they are.

Also, you probably want to bear in mind that El is the proper name of a Canaanite deity that was part of what became the Judeo\Christian God as the beliefs evolved, and it is used as God in the translation of angelic names. So if the name you wanted to use was, for example, Gabriel - but you need him to be a servant of Sune - then the angels name would be Gabrisune.

I personally like Sandelphon. :heh: Sorry, Henry - I started researching what you were asking before I realized it was you. Hope my awareness of what you're looking for doesn't screw anything up. It probably won't - I probably won't remember any of this past Saturday, anyway, the way my mind works.

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Torm said:
Hope my awareness of what you're looking for doesn't screw anything up. It probably won't - I probably won't remember any of this past Saturday, anyway, the way my mind works.

And here I am talking about how my fellow players almost never visit these boards, and the one time you look... :D

I'll just have to start using these "My players keep out!" messages. Worse things have happened....

..in fact, they will be this Saturday! ;)

Dogbrain

First Post
Torm said:
Also, you probably want to bear in mind that El is the proper name of a Canaanite deity that was part of what became the Judeo\Christian God as the beliefs evolved

Actually, you've got that backwards. The "common meaning" of "god" was before the "proper name"--or at least that's what the linguists say. It's like "Ba'al" meant "lord of" before it was used as if it were a deity's name.

Dogbrain

First Post
Playing games with Strong's:

Abadel (God destroys)
Abadashamel (God destroys the guilty)
Gadael (God hews down)
Gazazel (God cuts off)
Gararel (God drags away)
Dabarel (God subdues)
Daka'el (God crumbles)
Damahel (God strikes silent)
Dummahel (God devastates)
Haragel (God smites to death)
Haraqel (God pulls down)
Chabalel (God ruins)
Charabel (God demolishes)

Neil Aitken

Explorer
Another fabricated name: Shamadiel = "God will destroy and annihilate"

This seems like a very good candidate as well (again borrowing from Strong's)

Strong's Number: 08045 Browse Lexicon
Original Word Word Origin
dmX a primitive root
Transliterated Word TDNT Entry
Shamad TWOT - 2406
Phonetic Spelling Parts of Speech
shaw-mad' Verb

Definition
to destroy, exterminate, be destroyed, be exterminated
(Niphal)
to be annihilated, be exterminated
to be destroyed, be devastated