Need some Feedback

Catavarie

First Post
Ok well I've been working on information for a new campaign and I wanted to get some feedback on a few items that I've come up with. Just curious as to if what I'm thinking is on par with what Good DMs would come up with. Here's a list of a few of my ideas that I've fleshed out a bit, so let me know what yall think. Thanks

EDITED
Long Sword of the Zombie Recruit
+1 long sword, cursed:
When the player wielding the sword dies he becomes a Zombie of same level that is un-killable unless you separate Sword from Wielder
If player wields sword during a fight player must make a Will save for each attack until player fails saving throw or curse is dispelled
If player fails saving throw, sword is then bound to player's soul and separating the two causes player to take 1d4 damage per minute until they are reunited.
Will Save DC = 11
Dispel Curse DC = 25

Mace of Light & Darkness
Magical Weapon
Head of weapon creates a globe of Sunlight in Darkness, and a Globe of Darkness in the light, power is uncontrollable and is constantly emanating either Light or dark
Has the emblems of a Sun and a Moon engraved on opposite sides of the shaft just above the handle
Weapon comes with the head wrapped in leather to shield its affects

Whirling blades of Song
A pair of double-edged daggers that magically move to protect their “wielder” when the proper tune is played (can be hummed, whistled, or played on an instrument)
Player must learn the tune which is to be played before the weapons can be used magically, Spells that cause weapons to move will not affect the blades.
Tune is that of “Mary had a little lamb”
Blades when animated are +1 to attack (hit), and give “wielder” +5 to AC

EDITED
Cap of Dire Need
A wizard’s cap with 2d6 charges of Dire Need {gives the character an item which they need at that moment, item vanishes after 2d6 minutes} Items "summoned" have a value limit of 10 gold, Summoning happens at will and only cost one action to perform.

Long Sword of the Tracker
+1 to attack (hit)
While sword is being wielded, sword blade glows eerily purple, and wielder gains a cloak of mist which also glows purple (does not provide warmth or AC) and a Shield of Mist (counts as a medium Shield), that also glows purple, on opposite arm from sword
Hilt has a ruby set in its center that when looked through gives wielder infravision
Pommel is in the shape of a tiger’s head with an open maw

EDITED
Chain of Binding
A chain which anything that touches it becomes instantly and permanently bound to the chain except for the Chain itself.
Only the Last foot on each end is not “adhesive”
Chain is 20 feet long and 2 inches thick.
Break free of chain DC = 25
Chain Break DC = 30
Dispell Magic = 30

Ring of Giant Steps
A Gold band which, when worn, causes the wearer’s footfalls to be as loud as a giant’s

Feather of Gamblers Reprieve
A reddish feather that when used turns back time by 60 seconds affecting only the person who activates it, all other characters must act in the same fashion as they did prior to the use of the feather. Feather vanishes after 1 use.

Earring of Translation
An Ornate Earring which causes the wearer to understand 2 spoken Languages previously unknown, character is still no literate nor is he able to speak the languages, simply to hear and understand them. (DM’s choice of languages)

EDITED
Amulet of the Night-time Sky
Golden Amulet in the shape of a crescent moon holding a star
Gives wearer protection from disease (Up to DC 20)
Attracts Undead to the wearer uncontrollably.
Removal of curse also removes the Disease protection
Dispell Curse DC = 20

Horn of Elemental Summoning
Summons an Earth elemental for 2d4 minutes
Elemental has a 55% chance to obey the character who summons it.

EDITED
Bow of Hidden Shot
Long Bow that causes it’s ammo to become invisible till it hits a target, adds -1 to hit on all shots (afterall if you can't see where you hit how do you know where to aim?)
Weilder can see shots fired if they have the Bow bound to their soul
Soul Bind DC = 25
Unbind Soul DC = 55

EDITED
Bottle of Endless Vapor
Small Brown bottle with a cork stopper, when opened fog flows unending from bottle reducing visibility greatly, if bottle is broken a great cloud of mist (approximately 1500 cubic feet) is released instantly and will linger till magically dispelled
Dispell Mist Cloud DC = 30

Rod of Water Spring
A silvery rod that when touched to the ground produces a spring of fresh water that never runs dry. Rod can be used once per day.

Emerald of Growth
Emerald the size of a gnome’s fist that causes plants to grow at an amazing rate causing seeds to become fully grown plants within seconds when held near by.

EDITED
Mask of Animal Form
Mask that when worn causes the character to become a random animal. If character fails to remove the mask after 3d6 minutes the animal takes control of the character and the character permanently becomes that animal till death, or till a great Preist is able to restore thier body, when character reverts to “human” form wearing the mask.
Restoration of Body DC = 45

1 – Bear 11 – Bull/Ox
2 – Mouse 12 – Sparrow
3 – Ram 13 - Horse
4 – Falcon 14 - Bat
5 – Tiger 15 - Monkey
6 – Snake (DM’s choice as to size and type) 16 - Shark
7 – Badger 17 - Sloth
8 – Wolf 18 - Boar
9 – Gorilla 19 - Skunk
10 – Crocodile/Alligator 20 – Ferret

Well thats what I got for now. So Any feedback at all would be great. :D
(Sorry I will clear up other irratic posts now as well, sorry wasn't thinking there. :lol: )

Last edited:

Nightcloak

First Post
Whoa. That is quite the list.

First, kudos on creativity. That is a great group of interesting items you have there. The industry could use more creative magic items. I'd be curious to see what you do with them.

But since you asked...

Long Sword of the Zombie Recruit
+1 long sword, cursed:
When the player wielding the sword dies he becomes a Zombie of same level that is un-killable unless you separate Sword from Wielder
If player wields sword during a fight player must make a Will save for each attack until player fails saving throw or curse is dispelled
If player fails saving throw, sword is then bound to player's soul and separating the two causes player to take 1d4 damage per minute until they are reunited.
Will Save DC = 11
Dispel Curse DC = 25

This is good. I would just add more detail and clarify a few things (unless you are the only one to see this, then never mind ;) )

For instance, having the zombie unkillable is a little grey for d20 rules. Do you mean it has an infinite amount of damage reduction? Or just regeneration with no means of doing actual damage vs. subdual damage? The answer will change how the players fight the zombie and how the zombie fights them. The first means the zombie never drops and just keep comming while the second means the players can drop it but it will keep getting up and persuing them.

Does the sword wielder save if he attacks someone or if he is attacked? I assume it is when the wielder attacks. Does the second part mean that if the character makes it through the combat without failing a save, the curse is broken?

I like the part about being bound to the soul. It would be fun to see the look on a resurrected characters face when he sees the sword near by (even death does not seperate us).

I like this. Cursed weapons should have more flavor like this sword does. :)

Catavarie

First Post

EDITED
I was thinking that the characters would have to earn this item from a Zombie they have to kill by the end of the first adventure. And was hoping that atleast one of them decided to keep and use it. I figured Magice Detection shows the Sword as being a +1 Longsword, but they would have to use a Curse Detection spell to learn of the actual curse and its side effects.

Last edited:

Zombie Recruit

Nifty..and changing people to undead is more than fun.

But the "unkillable" part is a little more than tricky..and scary..

I never introduce anthing that I cant counteract or dispell.

Also PCs are made to die....

Recently I changed a PC to undead, and Libris Mortis has several differeng stages of decay...
Progessive decay is fun......especially when hunks are falling off..

PS. Is this an "undead" campaign?

Catavarie

First Post
Morbog of Ghetto D said:
PS. Is this an "undead" campaign?

I was kinda leaning that way, I figured that I might start by having them fight a zombie wielding the sword and once they realize that the can't kill it by conventional means have it start to dog them for awhile, especially after they gain the Amulet of the Night-time sky and of course they figure out how to actually defeat the zombie in battle, and knoing my players atleast one of them will start using the Longsword before they fully know about it. Then the whole campaign turns to trying to remove the curse from the sword in an effort to save the character's soul.

Y.O.Morales

First Post
An observation I've made so far (and others as well) is that the effects of some of these magic items are permanently or do not allow some way to get past them. They are so 'absolute' in their effects.

For example:
Chain of Binding
A chain which anything that touches it becomes instantly and permanently bound to the chain except for the Chain itself.
Only the Last foot on each end is not “adhesive”
Chain is 20 feet long and 2 inches thick.

In this case, you should provide the chain's target at least a saving throw (maybe Reflex) to avoid getting stuck permanently.

And/Or, you can also add a method for unbinding the chain, such as a Strength check (with a high DC, maybe 30 - or 40 if you want it epic) or a high-level spell like remove curse, break enchantment, or greater dispel magic.

One last note: As you receive feedback on these items, be sure to edit them in the first post so readers dont have to scroll the entire thread to see changes.

And, it would be good to ask for feedback for 1-3 magic items at a time. I'm not discouraging you for posting them, but you are likely to recieve more feedback if the readers can spare their time for evaluating just a few items in a single moment. ;)

Nightcloak

First Post
Catavarie said:
Cap of Dire Need
A wizard’s cap with 2d6 charges of Dire Need {gives the character an item which they need at that moment, item vanishes after 2d6 minutes}

This is also a nifity item. I'd love the versatility of an item like this (as a character). One observation, I'd put a gold piece limit on what can be created. I'd also state if it requires an action or round to summon the item. Does activating the hat provoke an AoO or is it at will?

Nightcloak

First Post
Catavarie said:
I was kinda leaning that way, I figured that I might start by having them fight a zombie wielding the sword and once they realize that the can't kill it by conventional means have it start to dog them for awhile, especially after they gain the Amulet of the Night-time sky and of course they figure out how to actually defeat the zombie in battle, and knoing my players atleast one of them will start using the Longsword before they fully know about it. Then the whole campaign turns to trying to remove the curse from the sword in an effort to save the character's soul.

Giving it to the characters at 1st level is a great way to insure someone uses it. I also like how you've built a campaign arc arouns a +1 cursed item. This makes magic more, well, magical and flavorful then what the base rules imply. Nice indeed.

Nightcloak

First Post
Catavarie said:
Feather of Gamblers Reprieve
A reddish feather that when used turns back time by 60 seconds affecting only the person who activates it, all other characters must act in the same fashion as they did prior to the use of the feather. Feather vanishes after 1 use.

I assume this will be an artifact/relic of some find? I have this image of a potent magic item being hunted to the ends of the world, used once, then it slips into legend until a generation passes and the next group goes on a quest to find it.

My questions depends on how you will use this.

1. A NPC will use it. If so, then you have a specific purpose in mind for this I would imagine. When the NPC uses the device for plot/event then it is gone and the story is advanced. No need to really worry about it.

2. PCs will use it. Then things could get wacky and I have a questions. Those damnable PCs :p

It really depends on how you plan to use it.

Just curious.

Catavarie

First Post
Nightcloak said:
I assume this will be an artifact/relic of some find? I have this image of a potent magic item being hunted to the ends of the world, used once, then it slips into legend until a generation passes and the next group goes on a quest to find it.

My questions depends on how you will use this.

1. A NPC will use it. If so, then you have a specific purpose in mind for this I would imagine. When the NPC uses the device for plot/event then it is gone and the story is advanced. No need to really worry about it.

2. PCs will use it. Then things could get wacky and I have a questions. Those damnable PCs :p

It really depends on how you plan to use it.

Just curious.

Well I had a planned on giving it to one of the player's prior to pitting them against a deadly Mage that will more than likely kill them, thus the reason for the feather, and all players other than the one who holds the feather will be forced to repeat the same action which they took, so basically the player that uses the feather will become the "Hero" of sorts giving them an edge in the battle. You know kinda like the Omega 13 in Galaxy Quest. I want it to be used to inhance a dramatic moment in the game to make it even more memorable.

Of course if I happen to have an NPC follow them along on the final fight then thry could have the use of it, but I doubt that it would be quite as memorable a battle then.

Remove ads