Need some suggestions of a Avenger/Invoker

Dysturbed

First Post
New to the Forum here!
Im kinda new to 4e I have DM'd but not played yet.
my DM is ok with me using the new Hybrid Rules.
I'm pulling the character in at 4th level.
It's a scales of war run.
Im wanting to go with a dwarf but im not sure if I can use the superior weapons to get the damage. Every time i put in what I want i can't get it to come up on the Character Builder.
What weapon would you suggest and maybe some feats.
The group really needs some of the utility from the invoker but I still wanna be able to do some damage. Maybe one or 2 that will kill multiple minions.

CovertOps

First Post
I'm guessing that the Invoker doesn't have any weapon powers hence your frustration. Check the description of the powers you are selecting and see if they say "Implement" or "Weapon" in the keywords area. If I am right and they say "Implement" it won't matter what weapon you get the power will have a fixed (as in 1d8 + wis mod or something similiar) amount of damage and when you look at your character sheet your chosen weapons will not be listed on those powers.

Dysturbed

First Post
that is exactly what is happening I think.
I take dwarven weapon perficiencey which should cover either of the good avenger weapons i was looking at. I was going to go executioners axe or that one hammer for dwarves but when i open the character sheet nothing it doesn't show up as if i didn't have the stats or weapon perficency or something. I wish it would tell you you where trying to do that by the way.
Maybe the character creator is putting the implment in the main hand or something also ill have to check when i get home.

I can do just like a switch if im going to use the ability before i use it right.
I think there is even a feat that makes it a free action?

Zhure

First Post
Try a Staff, later on, Staff of Ruin. The damage is comparable to other Avenger-y weapons, and it doubles as an implement for your Invoker stuff.
Z

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm not sure what your character concept is here, but it appears odd. The invoker is a squishy caster and the avenger is a melee combatant, often being a bit "alone" to the side matched up with a baddie. You have aspects of Controller, Striker and Defender in there and I'm not sure it will do any role well. If you roll with this character, your first feat should probably be Hybrid Talent: Armor of Faith. You're limited to cloth armor, have fewer HP and surges than most melee combatants and will be hella-squishy. Then probably toughness. Avengers are an in-their-face class while Invokers wants to keep their distance.

CovertOps

First Post
that is exactly what is happening I think.
I take dwarven weapon perficiencey which should cover either of the good avenger weapons i was looking at. I was going to go executioners axe or that one hammer for dwarves but when i open the character sheet nothing it doesn't show up as if i didn't have the stats or weapon perficency or something. I wish it would tell you you where trying to do that by the way.
Maybe the character creator is putting the implment in the main hand or something also ill have to check when i get home.

I can do just like a switch if im going to use the ability before i use it right.
I think there is even a feat that makes it a free action?

There is one other possibility. You can pick all the feats and proficiencies you want, but if you don't go to the "Shop" portion of the character builder and either "Buy" or "Add" a weapon (and optionally equip it) you won't get any stats on your power cards in the character sheet even for powers with the "Weapon" keyword that say they do "1[W] + stat mod damage".

Let me also second Herschel's comments in saying this is probably a bad class combo for the reasons he mentions.

On Puget Sound

First Post
As a hybrid, I don't agree that it is necessarily a BAD combo. At any given moment you will either be in melee or at range. In either situation, you will have only half the powers to choose from that a full avenger or invoker would have. But whatever power you choose, you will be able to do at the same effectiveness (or nearly so) as a full member of that class. So in essence you are trading one kind of flexibility for another. Unlike avengers or invokers, you can do something effective no matter where you are on the battlefield. However, you have fewer choices as to what that effective thing is.

As you add feats, you will have to be careful about balancing them for your two roles. Feats that are sorta good all the time may be better feats for you than those that are awesome in melee but useless when playing the controller role, or vice versa.

Normally I would consider a build like this only if my group were unreliable, unpredictable or incomplete in some fashion, so I never knew what role would be needed in any given session, or felt a need to fill two roles. Like RPGA, for instance.

Remove ads