Need to find a Miniature: Kobold musician/bard

I need to find a miniature of a kobold musician of some sort. I believe I saw a few somewhere, btu have no idea where. Any ideas? One that has a drum or percussion would be best, but I'lkl take anything that I can find. Thanks!

adwyn

Community Supporter
Boy I looked through my kobolds, and I have dozens, and no musicians. The closest I found was a pig orc musician from the old minifigs line that thanks to scale creep and poor sculpting now passes as a kobold.

I hate to say it but converting will be your best bet. Fortunately its easy to put a drum (a skull with the top filed flat works best) in front of a spearman and clip half of the spear off. If you need straps just cut one or two lengths of paper and soak them in white glue before putting them around the figure.

Good luck

Alf

First Post
Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I'd prefer the dog kobolds, but I'll take anything I can get.

How did kobolds come to have this look in the first place? The german folkmythological figures known as "Kobolden" are more like the "knockers" of Cornish mines - that is they are dwarf/gnome like in appearance. Who invented this dog thingy?

D'karr

Adventurer
Alf said:
How did kobolds come to have this look in the first place? The german folkmythological figures known as "Kobolden" are more like the "knockers" of Cornish mines - that is they are dwarf/gnome like in appearance. Who invented this dog thingy?

That would have been David C. Sutherland III, the original artist that depicted them in the AD&D Monster Manual. The description of the creature in the MM doesn't describe them as doglike so I assume that Dave just imagined them that way. If I remember correctly, ColPladoh (Gary Gygax) mentioned something similar in one of the Q&A threads.

It's amazing how one artist's vision has defined so many of the things we see in this game 30+ years later.

Remove ads