• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Need to find a mountain castle/keep

Therise

First Post
Hey all,
First time poster here. I'm wondering if anyone might know of a good castle, tower, or keep, set in a high mountain region, that I could adapt for my campaign. I'm looking for something that a powerful archmage would own, with space for laboratories, etc., but not so large a place that it would require a lot of staff. Either a keep or small castle planted at the top of a mountain, with really limited access: teleporting and gating would be the primary method of supplying the keep.

Mostly, I need a nifty map and some room descriptions, possibly some artwork. Something from a module I could buy, or some sourcebook, all ideas welcome. I don't care about setting or edition, other than having a medieval / renaissance flavor, as I'll be adapting it for my needs. Thanks!

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
The only castle/keep in a mountain that I'm aware of off the top of my head is Strahd Von Zarovich's castle from the module Ravenloft (or the newer version Expedition To Castle Ravenloft.) It's probably bigger than you're looking for... but it's a good starting point I guess.

It has a road up to it through the mountains, but you could easily remove it (or destroy the bridge that the road crosses to get to it.

You can find maps at the Wizards website:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft Map Gallery

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
There was an Anti-paladin themed adventure in Dungeon years ago that had a phenomenal mountain castle and excellent layout. Easily repurposed for a Mage IMO. It was the cover adventure, can't recall the issue number of the top of my head.

pming

Legend
Hiya

There was an Anti-paladin themed adventure in Dungeon years ago that had a phenomenal mountain castle and excellent layout. Easily repurposed for a Mage IMO. It was the cover adventure, can't recall the issue number of the top of my head.

I think you're thinking of Dungeon #25 and the adventure is "A Rose for Talakara" (or something like that).

^_^

Paul L. Ming

WHW4

First Post
One that our group is using currently in a mountain/hill section of the campaign is the Tarth Moorda, the warmage college from Complete Arcane (3.5 book). Just gives a basic layout and leaves the details pretty blank (wall height, number of stories in the buildings, etc). Worked perfect for us.

Edit: Oh lookie here, found this while digging some more. Details the entire fortress at the beginning of this enhancement.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20041119a

Last edited:

Therise

First Post

Remove ads