D&D General Need wheat. Too dangerous. (worldbuilding)

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
1 Acres for a family of 4 sounds rather on the low side assuming a European diet. If anything goes wrong they will instantly starve and even in the normal years won't have that much of a buffer.

One thing to remember though that long lasting sieges only worked because cities were supplied from the outside which also happened at Candia/Heraklion. They didn't have protected farms within the walls which could supply their population. No city has.
Also because without refrigeration you can't keep long lasting supply anyway.

Donut cities do not really work as the demand for fields vastly outstrips the ability of cities to encircle them. Protecting every field with walls is possible but very expensive. And without defenders a wall is useless.
1: I -specified- that it would be dependent on the diet, soil quality, availability of water, and loss of crop to pest and pestilence... and then talked a bunch about river valleys where 1 acre would be more than enough particularly when you include growing seasons. So you turned around and just went "European Diet"... What the heck, Ixal? Also there is no "European Diet". Diet was -massively- dependent on class, region, season, and political limitation.

You ignored pretty much everything I was saying in order to make it narrowly Eurocentric. Why?

2: Yes. That's why I specified that the supplies from the -French- and the -Smugglers- combined with what they grew in the city itself (Mostly in private gardens to supplement the bulk coming in as grain). I also specified that it was the longest siege in history and wasn't really representative of your typical siege which lasted a year or two, for which a given city would likely have enough long-term goods inside the city. 'Cause you didn't need refrigeration to keep grain and flour shelf-stable for years on end. You throw flour in a sealed barrel in a dark room under the castle and it'll last 2-3 years unless something happens to break the seal.

You ignored pretty much everything I said on the topic in order to try and make a point that I already made. Why?

3: Of course donut cities don't really work. There's a reason we never bothered with them. However we don't live in a magical fantasy world where constant violence and monster attacks target farms, and so don't need to do ridiculous things like having massive curtain walls with towers and armed guards.

That said, the needs of the populace are always going to be dependent on the same things I said, before. In a particularly warm and wet river delta it would be possible to create a donut city, for a long while... and when the population starts outstripping the inner fields, make outer fields surrounded by a new ring of "Donut City" creating a series of "Dyson Towns" surrounding the harvest. And because of the square cube law, each ring growing outward would both produce exponentially more food and require exponentially more people and housing to fully surround it. So you'd wind up with an ever thinning outer ring of people with either narrower and narrower fields between the concentric rings of your donut city, OR you'd have fields of similar size and just SO MUCH EXCESS that you can ship away.

In any case: It was a suggestion of a way to protect against fantastical threats and has very little impact on real world city-planning or metropolitan design.

Really weird that you quoted my post, ignored much of what it said, and then tried to correct me on it all...

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Here's another fun thing: Wheat wasn't the primary crop for Bread in the world for most of history.

Barley was. Barley is what they were growing in Mesopotamia when the whole Agriculture thing became a big deal.

Barley has a 2 month turnaround. And an approximate yield of 60 bushels per acre for a decent growing climate. A Bushel is 48 pounds. One acre provides 2,880lbs of barley in a decent grow, 40 bushels in a bad harvest (1,920lbs). In a particularly nice growing climate 80+ bushels is a good harvest. 3,840lbs/acre.

10 ounces makes a loaf of barley bread. There's 16 in a pound. So for a good harvest that's 61,440 ounces of barley or 6,144 loaves of bread for that 2 month period. A Family of 4 CANNOT EAT that much bread in that period of time. If each of them gets a loaf a day to themselves that's still 5,904 loaves just... sitting there. (4,608 loaves in a decent harvest, 3,072 from a bad harvest)

Which is why some of that Acre isn't Barley. Instead it's got a nice chicken coop for eggs. A few goats for milk. And guess what they're eating...? If you guessed "Barley" you're right! Take some more of that Barley space out to throw in lettuce, cucumbers, beans, maybe a couple of Date Trees... turnips, perhaps?

Yeah... 1 Acre is more than enough to sustain a family of 4, depending on their diet, growing season, soil quantity, and water availability...

(Especially if you mix some of that excess barley with hops, some honey, and a fermentation period)

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Yeah... 1 Acre is more than enough to sustain a family of 4, depending on their diet, growing season, soil quantity, and water availability...

(Especially if you mix some of that excess barley with hops, some honey, and a fermentation period)

<Thank you for your posts, and feel free not to effort out answers and to tell me to google things when I finish grading>

Will they want more to rotate crops/leave things fallow? Or were there three sisters equivalents in Europe?

Does it scale straight up for wanting a group of farmers to be able to support dedicated non-farmers?

Are there real world examples of subsistence farmers having a family of 4 instead of a lot more (assuming their wasn't an epidemic or three sweeping through)?

(As an aside, I can't believe it took me until this year to learn about cenotes in the Yucatan. I wonder what other real world types of water sources there are that I never thought of, and what others there would be in a fantasy world, and what kind of agriculture that could open up).

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Oh no! Fewer grell, Lovecraft ripoffs, try-hard attempts to recreate the githyanki, grey angry things that attack on sight and have the special power of 'HP', and walking blocks of listed spells!

And this is really weird in the context of making fun of the statblock that speciated monsters so they had multiple examples of their kind to represent their social structure instead of every goblin (a species previously too dumb to craft) havign scavenged a morning star and JUST a morningstar.
I understand where you're coming from, but I have hard time being happy with less content.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
This is simply incorrect. grains and pulses keep a loooong time.

Exactly. The best way to keep the monsters from eating valuable farmers is to provide them an alternative food source.
See, the problem with Guards is that they don't keep terribly well, at least not without some prep. All I'm really saying here is that there's probably an untapped market selling salt to Ogre clans.

Remove ads