• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Needing Help Building a Setting for Rome RP

Aeradom

First Post
I have an idea for a campaign, but it could use some fleshing out and maybe even focus and that's where I'm hoping you all could help. So let's get to it:

As the title insinuates, the basic nutshell of this idea is that gradually (and/or violently) an event occurs that brings magic and strange new creatures into the world of the Rome. Now, what I'm thinking I may do and would be the most fun for the players, is if it starts gradual and then becomes violent. My idea was that there was basically a plane of reality parallel to the world the story start out, and there were "leaks" that were bringing in various magical creatures. As well, these leaks were also affecting the inhabitants of the world by embuing people with magical power (thus how magic is introduced to the world). At first it be very limited; because the barrier seperating the two worlds is still quite strong.

In this world is where I think I'll have the game start out . It'll give the players time to adjust and learn about the world as well as possibly get attached. And then, after they have a few levels under their belt, it happens. "Something" (haven't determined what yet) causes the barriers to begin to fall and causing all sorts of magical creatures to come in. Perhaps the first time the barrier comes down, there's a Genghis Khan like Orc invasion that occurs and the Republic/Empire has to pull together a response as quickly as possible. Perhaps the party itself is in charge of delaying these orcs for as long possible until a Legion can come up and respond to the threat.

In any case... that's what I got going right now, and at this time, I'm just curious what ideas you all may have.

And if anyone is familiar with any media sources (books, games, movies) that incorporate fantasy elements into the Roman World (or Roman like era) I'd also be appreciative for that as well.

Aeradom

First Post
You mean like pinnacle entertainment's Weird Wars Rome for savage worlds: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/119321/Weird-Wars-Rome?term=weird+wars+rome

I'm actually not familiar with that though certainly something I will look at it. Though, mine is a universe where magic has just started to come into play, and the weird creatures aren't in full force. Eventually, they'll be a Cataclysm (or series of Cataclysms) that will result in full blown invasion between the realms. Have you played the game? What's it basically like?

Aeradom

First Post
I haven't played it, been eyeing it for some time now. If it's anything like their weird war 2 setting you can dial in how much you want.

At the very least it may give me some story hook ideas. I am thinking that the first time a rift forms, it'll be a massive influx of either Elves or Orcs that would be an invading force.

Aeradom

First Post
Hmmm, I am getting some parallels between your idea and shadowrun, though shadowrun is futuristic. Are you familiar with it?

Only by it's name. I know that it's basically D&D but with guns. I remember some friends talking about a game they ran, and wishing I had been involved with it (as I prefer guns to swords honestly). What's the general idea of that campaign?

Oh well! I'll probably butcher the intro as I only know 3rd edition and it's been quite sometime. It is 2060 and some time before there is a wave of births resulting in "brith defects" (elves, orcs, dwarfs, and the like), progressing from there people have started exhibiting magical abilities. Some magical places have resurfaced and dragons have taken over mega corporations. Technology have advanced as well. You can know jack yourself into a computer and walk through it. Cybernetics are rampart. People have taken to shadowrunning, where at night you do illegal dealings. Ranging from petty theft to corporate espionage.

Basically magic has come into the far future (especially with newer editions). The magical races are being reborn, people are making deals with dragons, but there are cyber samurai, and gangs. I hope that helps. If you have more questions I can always dig around my 3rd core book.

ccs

41st lv DM
The action begins in A.D.62 (+/-).
At this time there are no elves, dwarves, 1/2lings, gnomes, tieflings, dragonborn, etc. Maybe just stories of them in far off corners of the Empire or beyond its border. But not as playable races.
Divine & Arcane magic is not a thing.

The west coast of Italy is rocked by a series of heavy earthquakes over the course of several days.
Although more violent than usual (causing major damage to various towns/infrastructure/etc - that takes years to repair) , nothing much is really thought of the incident. Afterall, the areas always been subject to quakes and minor volcanic activity....

Some time after that (several months?) the "fun" begins.
Tales begin circulating of strange creatures roaming the country side.
At first this is laughed at. But but eventually the problem has to be admitted & a Legion of troops gets sent.
Monsters are confirmed to be REAL!
Meanwhile followers of the old gods (remember, this is only 63 A.D., but let's pretend Christianity spread a bit faster for plot purposes) start to manifest spell casting capabilities & other class powers.... Almost as if the old gods are aiding thier faithfull.
Multi-classing, re-training, & wholly new characters become options at this stage.

This continues for a # of years, increasing in scope.
Squads are sent to recover ancient Greek etc artifacts, consult oracles, etc.
Tieflings begin to be born in western Italy. They mature unnaturally fast....
Troops sent to remote ends of the Empire/map DO run into elves, dwarves, & such. Non-human PC races become options.

And then, in 79 A.D. all Hell - or more accurately Hades - breaks loose as the titans claw their way back into the material world through Mt. Vesuvius.
Monsters, Magic, & Gods have officially returned to the Roman Empire.

Aeradom

First Post
Oh well! I'll probably butcher the intro as I only know 3rd edition and it's been quite sometime. It is 2060 and some time before there is a wave of births resulting in "brith defects" (elves, orcs, dwarfs, and the like), progressing from there people have started exhibiting magical abilities. Some magical places have resurfaced and dragons have taken over mega corporations. Technology have advanced as well. You can know jack yourself into a computer and walk through it. Cybernetics are rampart. People have taken to shadowrunning, where at night you do illegal dealings. Ranging from petty theft to corporate espionage.

Basically magic has come into the far future (especially with newer editions). The magical races are being reborn, people are making deals with dragons, but there are cyber samurai, and gangs. I hope that helps. If you have more questions I can always dig around my 3rd core book.

You know, that did help in one respect. I do think I'm going to have the Romans adapting some higher technology to deal with the magical threat (by doing what the Romans did, picking the best of it and adapting it to serve the Roman expansion) See part of my problem right now is determining just WHEN in the timeline of things do I want it to take place. Like I seem to have 3 differing time periods that I can't quite decided what to go with:

The first and earliest, is what I think I'll call the "Time of Cataclysms" which is the period that begins with a slow trickle of magic and fantasy stuff coming into the world, followed by an epic event (like an invasion from another realm) which is the first large scale incursion.

The second time period is actually really cool in that basically in two parts where 1) the Republic moves to an Empire with the Party's help (or perhaps not depending) and has to deal with the Old Gods coming through the rifts to take back their world.

The third and final period is basically the fall of the Roman Empire (or at least the one where Rome is the Antagonist) and their tyranny has gone on long enough and now the subjugated races (both human and fantastical) rise up against Rome to win their freedom.

Ideally I could run all three I suppose, but I wonder which would be the most interesting to start off with...

Remove ads