• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Negating damage negates effects

Jhaelen

First Post
If you have a power that deals fire damage, and then poison ongoing damage, no part of that power is not a fire effect, nor is any part of that power not a poison effect.
While that is correct, poison is still odd, because it's both a keyword and an energy type which I consider unfortunate.

It's irrelevant for interpreting the rules but unintuitive and hence a common cause for misconceptions.

DracoSuave

First Post
While that is correct, poison is still odd, because it's both a keyword and an energy type which I consider unfortunate.

All damage types have corresponding power keywords. But I'm thinking you mean 'poison is a keyword that indicates immunity vs poison works for both poison damage and non-damaging poison effects' in which case, meh.

It's irrelevant for interpreting the rules but unintuitive and hence a common cause for misconceptions.

On the other hand, immunity spells it out pretty blatantly.

Max1mus

First Post
So it sounds like damage and other effects are totally separate, but I'm still pretty confused about this poison thing. Thank you all for the help.

S

Sunseeker

So it sounds like damage and other effects are totally separate, but I'm still pretty confused about this poison thing. Thank you all for the help.

Here's how poison works.

You have an ability, it does the follwing
On hit:
Weapon damage as poison
Stun
Target takes ongoing poison 5.

Target has resist 5/poison.

Target gets hit by attack, he negates the first 5 damage of the hit.
Target is stunned(as he has no stun resistance)

Now, poison is a two-part thing. First, it applies. Target has resist 5/poison, which is only resistance to the damage. So onling 5 poison applies, the target now takes 5 poison at the beginning of every turn.

but wait! target has resist 5/poison. So every time the poison triggers at the beginning of their turn, 5 damage is dealt, and then reduced by 5. Meaning the target takes ZERO poison damage, but is still under the effect, and must still save against it(if they care to do so).

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Incorrect.

While you're correct in that immunity only deals with some aspects of a power, keywords are not themselves selective, and a power with a keyword applies its keyword to the entire power.

If you have a power that deals fire damage, and then poison ongoing damage, no part of that power is not a fire effect, nor is any part of that power not a poison effect.

While you may be technically correct, your explanation is providing precisely zero information on the problem at hand.

But I'm thinking you mean 'poison is a keyword that indicates immunity vs poison works for both poison damage and non-damaging poison effects' in which case, meh.

Good way to not clarify things at all!

Just for everyone who is now thoroughly confused:

'poison is a keyword that indicates immunity vs poison works for both poison damage and non-damaging poison effects' - True or false?

And does anyone have a complete list of the keywords and whether they affect damaging or non-damaging effects?

Max1mus

First Post
I was thinking the only way that someone has better "resistance" to a poisons non damaging effect was to have better saves. For instance a Dwarf's cast iron stomach. These of course would have to be effects that a save could end.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads