• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Nemesis Feat (Book of Exalted Deeds)

DwarvenDog

Explorer
I made a ruling last night on this feat. This is not a feat a player has chosen yet, but it's in the pipeline for his character build.

He's an urban ranger who wants to take Nemesis against a favored enemy/organization (to be determined). The extra damage is nice but the thing that really stands out is the ability to auto-detect your favored enemy within 60' (even pinpointing if invisible).

I ruled as follows: since this ability is specifically called out as a supernatural ability in the feat text, that's exactly how it should function. i.e. it cannot be dispelled but it can be suppressed in an antimagic zone. It takes a standard action to activate (countering the notion that it's a constant-effect). Nowhere in the feat's description does it make any mention, implied or otherwise, of a duration, so I ruled that this was an immediate effect, a binary thing, telling you either YES or NO for all creatures within range.

If your foe is invisible, you can detect/pinpoint it as a standard action. If the foe moves, you don't know this unless you use the ability to find it again. This drastically shifts the tactic away from:

Detect -> Attack

to

Other PC Readies Action -> Detect -> Other PC's Action takes place

I'm feeling just a little ambiguous about the ruling so I thought I'd take it up here and see if the feat has come up for others... and what judgment calls you may have made about it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads