Nentir Vale Map - Pete Fenlon Style

Big Mac

Explorer
Anyway, the nice thing about this map is that I can keep expanding it. My plan is eventually to work my way south and east, and perhaps even cover areas like Moonstair, Sarthel and the Dragondown coast.

Feedback would be very much appreciated. :)

I found this thread after Knightfall mentioned your map at the Nentir Vale forum at The Piazza.

Thanks for sharing this map. If you intend to go south and east, I would definately recommend checking out the gigantic map that WotC had made for the Conquest of Nerath game.

It's been more than two decades since I wrote those. Glad to know that someone enjoyed them :) At the time, I was ICE's youngest writer. I can't say that anymore :)

As for going off map, I'm wondering if I should move towards Mithralfast/Dragondown coast, or if I should move south towards Sarthel/Therund/Moonstair. I'm not sure if I will simply expand the map, or if I should take a clip of the lower part of the map, and then start a new one and stitch it together at a later point.

Any thoughts?
I haven't used CC, but my general experience doing a lot of maps at different scales for a setting is you're better off doing a larger scale map of the whole region you might ever map, and then focusing in on specific areas and making separate smaller maps for each one, possibly but not necessarily in adjoining quads. Personally I opted to just focus in on areas I needed detail on and leaving the rest at larger scale simply because I find it easier to come back and add in more detail later vs trying to lay it all out right away.

Really nice. Is it possible to make a player version that looks like the original LotR maps?

It shouldn't be TOO hard to do with GIMP or PS. The best way would be to have the PSD file, or whatever the original format was, then you can add a layer on top and 'paint out' things you don't want to show up. Depending on how much it is it could be more or less work. Depending on how things are organized on layers it could be reasonably easy.

When I make maps in GIMP I set up layers so that all DM stuff is in certain layers, and all player stuff is in other layers, then you can generate a PNG or JPG file from that for each one. I have done the painting out thing though at times, or you can paint in DM info on top of player info, etc. Layers are the main thing.

Agatheron

First Post
When you say a player version, I am assuming one that is simply not marked? I have about 3 different versions that I've created, one fully labelled, one with no labels at all, and one that I have partially labelled according to what my players already know. So in a sense, it's already done. :)

Remove ads