• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neo Paladins: The Martyr

FnordBear

First Post
Herein you will find my first review for ENworld. I would like to preface this by stating I was sent a complimentary copy of this book.

Contents of the Zip:

Neo Paladins: The Martyr comes in a zip file containing two PDF copies, one for on-screen viewing and one for printing. Also included is a pair of RTF files, one with an easily copy/pastable (is that a word?) version of the Martyr and a RTF copy of the SRD Paladin for refference. No complaints here at all, I truely wish more PDF publishers would do this.

Interior Design:

The PDF is layed out in a crisp and professional manner reminisant of high quality print products. The use of borders are is kept low-key and serves to highlight rather than detract from the text. The tables are formated well and easy to read. There are 2 interior illustrations highlighting the class (one a nice piece by Elmore!) and a third piece of full-color art for the cover. My only complaint here is that I felt the cover art was not acctualy as good as the interior art (thats what you get for having an Elmore for interior art!)

Concept and Execution:

The concept of Neo Paladins: The Martyr is to offer up a variant Paladin progression. This progression substitutes the raw combat ability of a paladin for better ability to heal. The class also has the nice touch of having a clearly defined code of conduct allowing a fairly good guideline for the Martyr's behavior and avoiding some of the mess that can occur with Paladins and thier moral issues.

The stock Paladin tends to have a Holy-Roller® or crusader vibe to it. Not so with the Martyr, if anything the Martyr comes across as a subtle but capable individual, strong in thier faith and dedication to heal the hurts of the world. Where the Paladin is presented as an outward focused character, that is his mechanical abilities and flavor are focused on directly changing the world about them, the Martyr is more of an inward aspected character. This inward focus come across most prominantly in the flavor of the class indicating that the power of a Martyr comes not nessicarily with blind devotion to a deific presence but to a self-assured faith that need be proven to no one.

Overall I find the Martyr to be flavorful class and filled with pure roleplay opportunity. No complaints here.

What I Liked:

Paladins have always been a favorite of mine and I have always been a fan of Martyr-styled characters. Now I can play both in one easy package and so can you!

What I Dont Like:

The concept and execution of the Martyr is well done, however I personally would apply this concept as a completely new base class rather than shoe-horn it in to the Paladin mold with variant class abilities and features.

Overall:

I like it. I plan to use it. If your game needs a character class focusing on self-sacrifice and strong faith without being a holy-roller then you better buy this PDF.

Remove ads