• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Neo-Red Box (4e Starter Set) in my hands!

Baumi

Adventurer
Can you tell us a bit about the second Level abilities like Weapon Finesse? Also is the Ranger included, if yes how does he work?

Bagpuss

Legend
Currently the website (dungeonsanddragons.com/codes) redirects to wizards.com/dnd, but the flyer does say "Offer available from September 7, 2010, until December 31, 2001", so perhaps the site isn't active yet.

Or perhaps since the offer closed 9 years ago you've already missed it?

Okay, the pregens must be all full of errors.
There aren't any pre-gens in the Red Box. There may, however, be errors in the "choose your own adventure" portion (such as the implication that dwarves have a movement of 6... but that also might be me misunderstanding something).

What are the evocation at-will powers?
This isn't full Essentials. This is the Starter Set. It might be useful to think of them as two separate products.

The classes are fighter, rogue, wizard, and cleric. They are not knight/slayer, thief, mage, and warpriest.

does the red box include the full essential rules
Definitely not. The DM book is 64 pages long and has to cover an adventure, some rules, some monster stats, and advice on being a DM.

Neo-Red Box seems to be its own pre- or proto-Essentials product.

The solo adventure: could it be easily adapted to a multi-player adventure? i.e. have the players build their characters together at the same time?
Eh... I guess if you don't mind a lot of flipping back and forth and passing the player book around.

I think the intention is, each person goes through the player book once to build his character, by himself. Then you get togehter, trick someone into being the DM, and you continue the adventure with whatever's in the DM book.

Can you tell us a bit about the second Level abilities like Weapon Finesse? Also is the Ranger included, if yes how does he work?
There's no Weapon Finesse that I can see. And there's definitely no Ranger. Remember: fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric.

The 2nd level powers are as follows -- going by the power cards only:

Fighter
  • Minor Resurgence, encounter (req: bloodied, trained Endurance; gain 5 temp hp)
  • Sudden Sprint, encounter (req: trained Athletics; move up to Con sq (as minor action), must end adjacent to enemy)

Rogue
  • Sudden Leap, encounter (req: trained Athletics; "You leap through the air, landing a number of squares away up to half your speed.")
  • Tumble, encounter

Wizard
  • Shield, encounter
  • Expeditious Retreat, daily (shift up to 2x speed)
  • Spectral Image, encounter (makes illusion of creature or object, Insight DC 16 + Int to "disbelieve")

Cleric
  • Bless, daily
  • Shield of Faith, daily
  • Resurgent Strength, daily (close burst 3; you or ally spend HS and gain +4 dmg until EoYNT)

Or perhaps since the offer closed 9 years ago you've already missed it?
Hyuk hyuk hyujk. Obviously I meant to type the expiration date as 2011.

My FLGS was supposed to get a shipment from the distributor yesterday but it was delayed. I might have my set as soon as this evening after work (fingers crossed).

vaultdweller

First Post
Thanks for the link! I'm working this weekend, but I hope to get enough time to read through the set and then write up my thoughts. I can say $20 feels like a great price for this set.
Do you have any pics that show the map more completely? I'm not terribly interested in the Red Box, but I'll buy any (reasonably priced) product with a good poster map.

When you opened the red box, did it release trained rats with tiny scissors who cut all your previous 4e books to ribbons?
I was very careful. I made sure to open in the Red Box in the safety of an industrial grade clean room, while wearing full protective equipment. Only after a thorough decontamination did I allow the Red Box into my house.

Unfortunately the advanced nanotechnology used by the Red Box daemons was able to go dormant on my suit, survive the decontamination process, and then re-activate upon sensing my 4e books nearby. They are now just a pile of sludge. *sigh*

Do you have any pics that show the map more completely?
If Phil hasn't already done this by the time I get home, I'll try to take some pictures. Assuming I can figure out this newfangled digital camera you kids are using these days.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads