Netbook of Archetypes

Lord Vangarel

First Post
Ok, further to the discussion on the main boards on simplyfying the creation on NPC's for DM's I'm starting the Netbook of Archetypes. I'm going to try and collate all the entries so we end up with a document which can be used to quickly generate an NPC for example, I want a 9th level knight, and it will fill in most of the blanks itself.

For those that didn't follow the other discussion an archetype can be any class or mixture there of and will show the development at various important stages.

To get us started here is my first entry:

The Mounted Archer

Whether on the vast tundra or in the depths of the forests the Mounted Archer can be a fearsome opponent. With the advantage of fast movement and never needing to close to melee range the Mounted Archer can attack and be away to a safe distance before you know what has hit you.

The Mounted Archer will concentrate ability scores in Dex. They likely wear little armour so Con would also be allocated a high score. Strength is another useful ability especially if armed with a mighty bow.

Human Warrior Progression

Level 1
Skills: Ride (4), Craft-Bowyer/Fletcher (2), 4 points remaining
Feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery
BAB: +1
Base HP: 5
Max HP: 8
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +0

Level 3
Skills: Ride (6), Craft-Bowyer/Fletcher (4), 0 points remaining
Feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot
BAB: +3
Base HP: 14
Max HP: 24
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +1

Level 6
Skills: Ride (9), Craft-Bowyer/Fletcher (7), 0 points remaining
Feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus
BAB: +7
Base HP: 27
Max HP: 48
Saves: Fort +5, Ref +2, Will +2

Level 9
Skills: Ride (12), Craft-Bowyer/Fletcher (10), 0 points remaining
Feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus, Far Shot
BAB: +7
Base HP: 41
Max HP: 72
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +3

Level 12
Skills: Ride (15), Craft-Bowyer/Fletcher (13), 0 points remaining
Feats: Mounted Combat, Mounted Archery, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus, Far Shot, Rapid Shot
BAB: +12
Base HP: 54
Max HP: 96
Saves: Fort +8, Ref +4, Will +4

The truly deadly Mounted Archers are those who progress as fighters. With their greater feat selection they can become a truly devastating enemy, difficult to defend against and capable of inflicting terrible damage while minimizing their opponents ability to attack them. I'll run through the Mounted Archer Fighter progression in the future.

That's it for now, tell us what you think, add your own, make changes. The more people contributing the better.

Last edited:

Remove ads