• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Netflix' remake of House of Cards

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Not sure if this belongs in movies, TV, or what.
The short version: very, very, very disappointing. So much potential wasted.

Longer version: the excellent novel written by Michael Dobbs (Margaret Thacher's Pretty-faced Hatchet-boy) was adapted to TV by the BBC in 1990. Some minor changes were made, but the plot, characters, and background were based on Dobb's own experiences working for British Parliament. Two sequels were written over the next five years. Ian Richardson made the title character an icon with his magnificent performance. There was subtly, fun acerbic humor, and a strong narrative driving the story every forward. While some of the facets were a little nasty, the characters were true to who they were.

Netflix' version is based on the first story, and has Dobbs and Davies (the BBC's producer) on as "Executive Producers" whatever that means. However, like most translations from British to US, it looks better on paper. The Netflix series has no grasp of US politics, is plodding, boring, and totally lacking in a coherent direction or plot. It seems like Netflix is trying to copy a page from HBO by making a series about a bunch of dirty, unlikable, and utterly despicable people doing as many vile things to each other as possible. While it might entertain the teenagers and tweeners by seeming edgy and exciting, this show has no actual intellect behind it. It is dull. The only way it can work is if the main character is an utter genius (which he clearly isn't) and everyone else is an utter boob. Did I mention the story takes bloody forever? There is at least one entire episode that could (and should) have just been cut.

So, if you are at all tempted, watch Netflix's version, to see if you can derive any entertainment from that. Then watch the BBC version to see what it could and should have been like. Oh, the BBC version (all three stories) takes less time than the 1 Netflix story.

Frank Hall

First Post
That is disappointing news. I was hoping that it would at least be decent since it would mean a new direction for shows and a new outlet for creators. It will suck if they get disheartened with this one.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That is disappointing news. I was hoping that it would at least be decent since it would mean a new direction for shows and a new outlet for creators. It will suck if they get disheartened with this one.

It's actually very good - well worth checking out. Don't let one person put you off!

Wednesday Boy

The Nerd WhoFell to Earth

I think the return of Arrested Development on Netflix will be successful and will show the viability of this new outlet, regardless of how well House of Cards does.

I've only watched the first two episodes of House of Cards, but so far so good (although I believe that John Larroquette would have made a better Francis Underwood than Kevin Spacey). I have not seen the original series.

AR

sabrinathecat

Explorer
There's a nice quote in To Play The King about crawling through a pipe full of sewage. That's how the Netflix version made me feel. You could cut 8 episodes from the NF version, and maybe actually have a story and plot.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's a nice quote in To Play The King about crawling through a pipe full of sewage. That's how the Netflix version made me feel. You could cut 8 episodes from the NF version, and maybe actually have a story and plot.

You can keep repeating it, but I'm still going to disagree. I found it to be pretty good.

It isn't the same as the original, no. That's a good thing - I've already seen the original. I wouldn't want it to be the same.

sabrinathecat

Explorer
I was expecting different. With this cast, I was also hoping for something I would find good.
This wasn't something I enjoyed. Maybe it is more in keeping with modern US expectations. Maybe I am just totally out of touch with this reality now.

Remove ads