[Netflix] Shadow & Bones

Well . . . yes, but that's not the point of the YA classification. It's to designate stories aimed at teenagers.

You're right, that good YA is equally entertaining to not-young adults as well. It often gets an unfair rap as not-serious fiction or kiddie stuff.

YA, as a genre or classification, is inconsistent with what is "appropriate" for young adults . . . you're also right that some of the stories get pretty racy and/or violent, but avoid graphic depictions of either.

But still, labeling something as YA means you're aiming it at teen readers and you're saying it contains appropriate content for teens.
YA really does get an unfair rep. I read both YA and adult fantasy. I read adult fantasy as a teenager, as well. Lately, I've actually been reading a lot of YA.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
"I see now that dismissing YA books because you’re not a young adult is a little bit like refusing to watch thrillers on the grounds that you’re not a policeman or a dangerous criminal, and as a consequence, I’ve discovered a previously ignored room at the back of the bookstore that’s filled with masterpieces I’ve never heard of.” - Nick Hornby

Ryujin

Legend
YA really does get an unfair rep. I read both YA and adult fantasy. I read adult fantasy as a teenager, as well. Lately, I've actually been reading a lot of YA.
Unfortunately, YA is frequently used as a dismissive term. It makes for a handy shorthand, as when using Punk, Ska, or Heavy Metal to describe a piece of music, but shouldn't be used dismissively.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
The story diverges enough that you'd probably want to read the first book first. Or at least the last third of the book; season 1 veers a bit off those rails.

You'll also have to deal with Mal being a complete doucebag. God, Book!Mal sucks so much.

Oh yeah, and the book versions of Alina and Mal are not half-Shu and half-Zemeni, respectively; that's new to the show as well, in case you get confused they stop bringing that stuff up.

Kaz, Inej, Jesper, Nina, and Matthias aren't in these books either; they're from a sequel series Six of Crows

MarkB

Legend
No doubt. It also emphasizes the difference in privilege the Grisha have over the common folk and soldiers which is important to the story. But let's be real, Ravka is losing a war where their enemies don't have Grisha, just guns. So make as many bullet proof outfits as you can, get them on your front line troops, and kick the Fjerdan's teeth in.
The bulletproof outfits are made by Fabricators, who are Grisha and under the General's control. He doesn't want them outfitting the regular army - that would just make the Second Army even less important than they were already becoming. And even if he were overruled, there probably aren't enough of them to create such outfits in large enough quantities to make a big difference.
The stag doesn't store power, it amplifies power. The Darkling doesn't need it to amplify his own shadow magic, as he is already incredibly powerful. He doesn't seek the stag until he learns of the sun summoner, Alina, and wants to use the stag's bones to be able to control both his own and Alina's powers simultaneously.
I think he just didn't think the stag existed until he learned that Alina had dreamed of it and drawn it. His mother was keen enough to keep him ignorant of it that she conspired behind his back to kill those who were going to tell him of its existence, because she feared that with its amplification he would become too powerful for anyone to oppose.

Remove ads