• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Neverwinter Nights worth it?

KenM

Banned
Banned
You know that NWN for mac will NOT have the toolset? That really sucks. I think Bioware screwed the mac users with that one.

Dr. NRG

First Post
Speaking as a business type working for a software developer, I can tell you that you should be happy that they did anything at all for Mac. The economics of the situation make it a questionable call that they'll come out ahead as is. Adding tool functions is simply a lose-lose for them.

NRG

Jaligard

First Post
Well, they've canceled the tool functions. No module-building for me.

Now I have to rethink whether I want to buy the game or not, but it may be a moot point if my machine is not capable of running the game (very possible).

I was looking forward to making my own modules. Now I'm stuck with modules other people make and I really have no idea what to expect. Since i don't know anyone with the game, I can't actually check out modules or anything.

Welverin

First Post
KenM said:
You know that NWN for mac will NOT have the toolset? That really sucks. I think Bioware screwed the mac users with that one.

I do believe it is Macplay who is doing the actual porting and there fore ther decision.

As Dr. NRG said with the way things general work Mac users are lucky to be getting it all. My brother told me this weekend that the IWD and BG2 expansions will not be ported.

Jaligard

First Post
They sent the Toolset to a different group to port, but it turns out it will take about a year to do, so they axed it.

As Mac users we tend to get most of the good games, but usually later. I don't feel lucky at all when someone ports half a product as I have people fighting to get my money as is.

[rant]What really sucks is when some company decides to port a game to the Mac years later (Everquest) and bases the decision for the sequel (Everquest 2) on how well the Mac sales for the first do. It's especially bad when they make a Mac version incompatible with the PC version (again, Everquest).

Why would anyone spend money on a game with five-year old graphics to play on a world-wide network, but not with any of the thousands of people who are currently playing the game?

And when sales for Mac Everquest tank, they'll nix any plans to make Everquest 2 for the Mac as a bad business decision, when the actual bad business decision was porting an out-dated incompatible product to the Mac in the first place.[/rant]

Blizzard does dual releases and they do just fine with their Mac games.

I don't feel lucky at all. But now that there is no toolset, I have a more difficult decision to make. But someone out there will want a piece of my money, so I'm not too worried.

Breakdaddy

First Post
mmu1 said:

Huh? Morrowind was playable for me on a 1.5 year old computer, so I imagine it'd run great on a top of the line machine. Of course, like with most games these days, the "minimum requirements" are a complete joke...

Not to go too far OT here but my 1.4 gigahertz athlon with radeon 9700 video and 1 gig of pc2700 DDR ram SMOKES on morrowind. Usually 60-70 FPS at 1024x768 in crowded areas with distance guage cranked to about 90 percent.

Dark Jezter

First Post
I do love Neverwinter Nights, and consider it to be one of the best PC games released in 2002. I'll give you a real brief rundown of what I liked and didn't like about it.

What I Liked: A mostly-faithful translation of the 3rd Edition D&D rules. Incredibly addictive multiplayer mode if you have friends who also own the game, and it gets even better if you have a DM. The sound effects and music are very good, and the Aurora Toolset allows unlimited potential for custom campaigns and modules. With new modules coming out all the time, you could be playing this game for years and not run out of stuff to do.

What I Didn't Like: The single-player campaign is rather dull, with most of the quests boiling down to "Retrieve this item and deliver it to this NPC". The single-player campaign is also linear, and you don't have many choices in what you can do. Of course, I've probably just been spoiled by the Baldur's Gate games, which had excellent single player campaigns. Another (small) gripe is that NWN's graphics engine is a little dated, but that's something I can easily live with.

There are the pros and cons. If I were to rate NWN, I'd give it a B+. It suffers a little from the lackluster single player campaign, but the multiplayer and customizability options more than make up for it. I consider this game a must-own for D&D fans (or RPG fans in general) who like multiplayer games.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Forgive the off topic-ness

Thanks, elandys. Robert E. Howard is one of my favorite authors, and his Conan stories were what resparked my interest in the fantasy genre a couple of years ago. So, I felt it was only natural to mention him in my signature. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads