New 44-Page Elements of Magic (Revised) Preview!

Kemrain

First Post
Some questions that I haven't seen asked yet... My apologies if I missed one.

Is there a way to get Spell Resistance? I'm lookingto make an item that'd grant a Drow's racial abilities, but I have no way to do SR with the teaser. Is it even supported? Oh, and how would the roll work?

This may seem stupid, but, using a 0mp effect, with a Gen of 1, means it costs 1 MP and 1 cantrip, right?

Using what I've read in this thread, I've been piecing together a Magic Item creation system for use in my current campaign (doubt anyone buy my GM would call it balanced, but..) and I've started to run into a slight problem. I'm looking to create effects that you don't have in your spells. Now, I've been finding spells that are 'close enough' that they fit, flavor-wise, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to deal with this subject.

This one HAS been mentioned, though I didn't see an answer... How do I create a light effect? Infuse Fire?

- Kemrain the Curious.

Verequus

First Post
Kemrain said:
Is there a way to get Spell Resistance? I'm lookingto make an item that'd grant a Drow's racial abilities, but I have no way to do SR with the teaser. Is it even supported? Oh, and how would the roll work?
You have to use Abjure Force - many effects aren't detailed in the teaser, so I don't recommend to create spells using a work-around - simple because of the need of redesign with the proper effects.

This may seem stupid, but, using a 0mp effect, with a Gen of 1, means it costs 1 MP and 1 cantrip, right?
You get a Cantrip effect probably with a duration of 10 minutes, as long the effect isn't instantious like the Evoke [Element]-lists. And you have to pay 1 MP because of the Gen 1.

Using what I've read in this thread, I've been piecing together a Magic Item creation system for use in my current campaign (doubt anyone buy my GM would call it balanced, but..) and I've started to run into a slight problem. I'm looking to create effects that you don't have in your spells. Now, I've been finding spells that are 'close enough' that they fit, flavor-wise, but I was wondering if you had any suggestions on how to deal with this subject.
Like I mentioned above - wait for the end product, then most problems are gone. Except that the item creation rules aren't detailed in EoM, but in Lyceian Arcana, the next product in line. (Although the rules already exist, but no one saw them (fully) except playtesters, I suspect. The only two things are really known, are: 1. Price depends only from MPs. 2. Save DC depends only from MPs, not from caster level.)

This one HAS been mentioned, though I didn't see an answer... How do I create a light effect? Infuse Fire?
No, through Create Light.

I hope, the answers are sufficient.

Dude, you answered it for me! That's so cool.

But yes, to clarify one point, you only spend a cantrip usage if the total spell's cost is 0 MP. If there's any other enhancements, its no longer really a cantrip, so you just spend the appropriate MP.

Can you give me some idea to what types of items you want to create? I might be able to give answers.

Kemrain

First Post
RangerWickett said:
But yes, to clarify one point, you only spend a cantrip usage if the total spell's cost is 0 MP. If there's any other enhancements, its no longer really a cantrip, so you just spend the appropriate MP.

Thank you! this has been bothering me for a few weeks now.

Can you give me some idea to what types of items you want to create? I might be able to give answers.

As I said in my earlier post, I'm looking for a magic item that will grant most all the racial abilities of a Drow, while leaving the wearer a member of their own race. It was figured that, under the normal rules, it would cost appx 6k XP, so I figure it'll be a hefty item in any system.

Here's a list of the proposed effects, thus far:

+2 to Dexterity, +2 Saving throw bonus against enchantments effects, Darkvision 120', +2 to Will saves against spells or spell like abilities, Spell Resistance 11+ Character Level, Darkness at Will, Quickened Levitate at Will, and a tongues ability with Drow and Undercommon.
(Drow spell like abilities are a little different in my campaign, so there are the changes.)

I was also looking at having a pair of swords enchanted with Wind Effects.

Looking to cobble together 1d6 Wind damage, +4 to disarm attempts, and +2 to Ac against physical missiles due to a wind effect. When dual wielded, I want them to function as swords of apeed (one extra attack on full attack), a +4 bonus to AC against physical missiles and a +2 bonus to AC against physical melee attacks due to wind effects, and a +2 bonus to Reflex saves. A very unique pair of blades, with very unique abilities.

How might I go about fairly describingthose effects with EoM?

- Kemrain the Interested.

Is there anyway to reverse the damage of dying via evoke time? I mean, while its true to that maybe the player won't mind if his character is older if he doesn't suffer any major penalties, but what about the character's feelings? People do roleplay and try to get into character. I mean, Rip Van Winkle can't be happy about that ten year sleep he had, who would be? Also, I don't think any player would be happy to let the GM bring about such a sudden change with no hope of repair. Just a few conventiently located evil mages with Evoke time showing up will reduce the PCs to feeble. It can be worse than the instant death effects Ranger Wickett seems to oppose, but even that has True Resurrection and Heal Life.

Kemrain

First Post
Blue mage for hire2 said:
Is there anyway to reverse the damage of dying via evoke time? I mean, while its true to that maybe the player won't mind if his character is older if he doesn't suffer any major penalties, but what about the character's feelings? People do roleplay and try to get into character. I mean, Rip Van Winkle can't be happy about that ten year sleep he had, who would be? Also, I don't think any player would be happy to let the GM bring about such a sudden change with no hope of repair. Just a few conventiently located evil mages with Evoke time showing up will reduce the PCs to feeble. It can be worse than the instant death effects Ranger Wickett seems to oppose, but even that has True Resurrection and Heal Life.

How about Heal Time?

- Kemrain the Young.

Oh, and I'm a little bit confused as to why you would ever choose Evoke Void or Evoke Mist. I ever understand Sonic to objects, Force to those annoying intagible creatures, Acid to Trolls and other regenerating creatures, Life to Undead, Shadow to.....blot out the light, oh! and Sunwryms! but, what about Mist and Void, scalding steam sounds nasty, but which are you going to use against the Ice troll, Evoke Mist or Evoke Lava? And Void is cool, and might have some useful side effects, but I'm not sure what the psuedo-antimatter would be best against.

Remove ads