• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New Action Type for more cooperative battles

mellored

Legend
I definitely like the idea, but I think you over complicated it.

Once per round, you can add or subtract 1d4 from a d20 roll made within 60' of you. You can do this after you see the results, but before any effect takes place. If this is used multiple times of the same roll, only the highest added and highest subtracted apply.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer

Once per round, you can add or subtract 1d4 from a d20 roll made within 60' of you. You can do this after you see the results, but before any effect takes place. If this is used multiple times of the same roll, only the highest added and highest subtracted apply.

Personally, I think that's too cold and mechanical for me. I want to present my players options that have a narrative component or visual built in, as well as new ways to use the resources they have in service of others.

Satyrn

First Post

That seems too uncomplicated to me.

I got sold on Tactical Metamagic

mellored

Legend
Personally, I think that's too cold and mechanical for me. I want to present my players options that have a narrative component or visual built in, as well as new ways to use the resources they have in service of others.
fair, more narritive driven would be better.

But I would still have it be a separate resource pool. Something you can only spend on allies, and thus not spell slots or spell points.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
fair, more narritive driven would be better.

But I would still have it be a separate resource pool. Something you can only spend on allies, and thus not spell slots or spell points.

Sorry, but on that point I disagree. I see spell slots, sorcery points, action surge, and all those limited use class abilities as resources. And as resources, I don't see a problem if there are multiple ways to expend a resource. The resource still gets expended. It's not like there's a separate pool for BFA sorcery points and regular sorcery points. If a player doesn't want to use their resources to help their allies, then they still have Battlefield Mobility, Running Interference, and whatever other new BFAs I can come up with.

jasper

Rotten DM
[MENTION=277]jasper[/MENTION] Hex only affects ability checks. Does nothing against Saving Throws.

And yes, I agree that players can talk tactics and should. But if you have new players or ones that don't really know how to do that, the mechanics don't really support a team work dynamic. There are roles, and people stick within their roles. This is a way to mechanically support working together.

As for the Tactical Action Surge (I believe that is the one you were asking clarification about with the tank), everyone would get advantage until the Fighter's start of their turn. Action Surge is a powerful ability. If a fighter is willing to forgo their normal benefit to use it, I believe the new benefit should be equal to the sacrifice, since a fighter gets a max of 2 action surges per short rest by level 20.
No was not asking for clarification. Simple put, there are plenty tactics in the game currently so why ask more. Also you CANNOT force some people to think tactically. And others can take control of a table have the group acting like super ninja jarheads.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
No, you can't force people to do anything. But my experience is that the 5e combat system is not very dynamic or engaging. This does add a level of complexity, and provides more mechanical support for team work without stealing the spotlight.

Players are having double movement.
If monster s don't have it too, hit and run tactics will become deadly and boring.
If your allow tactical move for monsters, the position management will become a mess.
Too much interrupt for my taste.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It's an interesting idea. It's got me thinking of using Reactions that would trigger off your Allies actions, rather than your enemies (like PM, Sentinel, Mage Slayer etc do).

There's room for quite a few feats or abilities that could begin Like "When an ally within 30ft of your takes the Attack Action on their turn you can use you reaction to..." or the Cast a Spell action, or the Dodge action and then your reaction could be used to Attack, cast a cantrip or spell from a limited list or certain spell level or below, shove or grapple a target, and/or grant advantage or disadvantage. It could be fairly simple but still allow a lot of fun combos.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Players are having double movement.
If monster s don't have it too, hit and run tactics will become deadly and boring.
If your allow tactical move for monsters, the position management will become a mess.
Too much interrupt for my taste.

Obviously any change to a system, such as adding a whole new action type, is going to have an impact on many things. If for no other reason than it challenges the status quo. As I've mentioned above, whatever the players can do, the DM can do as well. The reason I included the movement component is because if you see an ally in need of assistance, it doesn't do a whole lot of good to have an action that could help them if you can't get to them in the first place.

Also, in battle, if you are a more fragile type of character (rogue, wizard, ect), you generally are not going to just stand there while a massive orc runs you down and stomps you. It's not realistic. But by the mechanics, that is exactly what a rogue or wizard must do since they can only act on their turn.

Does this style of combat make it more likely of people chasing someone all over the map? Sure. But Smart players/enemies will change tactics in such circumstances. They may decide to escape the battle and lay a trap that prevents players/enemies from moving around like that.

Also, I kind of look at it like a card game. In my experience, games like Exploding Kittens, Magic the Gathering, Yugio, they all have interesting interrupt mechanics. In my experience, such interrupt mechanics are interesting and add elements to the game that would not be present without them. They make a player wait, paying attention until the moment is right, and give them an opportunity to strike. Sure, D&D has that in the form of reactions, but those often require specific circumstances to use. This gives players a new action type that allows them to follow the battle, staying engaged, and look for the moment they can help out. And unlike a reaction or a more direct attack option, this mechanic does not remove the spotlight from the other player who is currently up in the initiative order.

Remove ads