• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E New and Different Dragons! Forest/Green Dragon!

JRoss

Villager
I've come in late, so TL;DR with the responses so far.
OP, what you've described that you want makes me want to ask if you've ever looked much at Asian dragons? Or, have you looked at a qilin/kirin?
They're, in my mind, a lot more interesting. More associated with nature.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've come in late, so TL;DR with the responses so far.
OP, what you've described that you want makes me want to ask if you've ever looked much at Asian dragons? Or, have you looked at a qilin/kirin?
They're, in my mind, a lot more interesting. More associated with nature.
Kirin are cool, but aren’t dragons. Eastern Dragons are also cool and worth including in the game, but aren’t what I’m looking at here.

Gadget

Adventurer
Nice thread. I too have often felt that there was something lacking from D&D Dragons; though I admit it may be a case of familiarity breeding contempt. I've always thought of Dragons as more forces of nature, or the ultimate manifestation of Greed, Lust, or Destruction. Was it 4e that had Catastrophe Dragons? Anyways, I'd like to see them moved further from big bag of HP with a breath weapon.

One thing I'm not overly fond of is slapping wizard/sorcerer levels on a dragon. While it certainly does give them more options--and I think dragons should be magical--I don't like the spellcaster in scales this usually results in. Dragons should be different from wizards, and should not be bound by mortal magic in the same way. I've said it before, but the way 4e handled this was great, though not always perfect. It was sad to see 5e return toward the method of adding PC classes to monsters in order to make them more interesting.

So, I work at a toy store and Safari LTd has this amazing line of dragon figurines. I love the flavour of them. The 'Arctic Dragon', for instance, is a cross between a dragon and a polar bear. There's a 'Thorn' dragon that would be perfect in a forest - although, they have a really cool Forest Dragon too.

I'll leave a link so you can peruse the images. It should give you lots of neat ideas.

Edit: Disclaimer: some of the dragons are really cheesy. Peace Dragon and Love Dragon, for instance....

edit2: some of my more favorite ones in the line are:
Arctic
Earth Dragon (the design is cool: wings that are dark blue with starts so they look like the night sky and feet that look like roots)
Cloud (I just like the concept)
Desert (cool design: looks like a giant scorpion)
Jungle (Neat Concept)
Stag (Love the concept: to me, a kind of a guardian of forest idea. )
Steampunk (Giant Robot Dragon)
Fog (Overall, there's a neat Elemental theme here: cloud, ice, fog, earth, shadow, Fire, Lava etc...)

Last edited:

So, I work at a toy store and Safari LTd has this amazing line of dragon figurines. I love the flavour of them. The 'Arctic Dragon', for instance, is a cross between a dragon and a polar bear. There's a 'Thorn' dragon that would be perfect in a forest - although, they have a really cool Forest Dragon too.

I'll leave a link so you can peruse the images. It should give you lots of neat ideas.

Edit: Disclaimer: some of the dragons are really cheesy. Peace Dragon and Love Dragon, for instance....

edit2: some of my more favorite ones in the line are:
Arctic
Earth Dragon (the design is cool: wings that are dark blue with starts so they look like the night sky and feet that look like roots)
Cloud (I just like the concept)
Desert (cool design: looks like a giant scorpion)
Jungle (Neat Concept)
Stag (Love the concept: to me, a kind of a guardian of forest idea. )
Steampunk (Giant Robot Dragon)
Fog (Overall, there's a neat Elemental theme here: cloud, ice, fog, earth, shadow, Fire, Lava etc...)
And I am pretty sure the gnome dragon (Safari Ltd. - Gnome Dragon by Safari Ltd. 100068 - Dragons) is the source of the gnome/kobold feud. The desert dragon (Safari Ltd. - Desert Dragon by Safari Ltd. 10128 - Dragons) is totally epic.

And I am pretty sure the gnome dragon (Safari Ltd. - Gnome Dragon by Safari Ltd. 100068 - Dragons) is the source of the gnome/kobold feud. The desert dragon (Safari Ltd. - Desert Dragon by Safari Ltd. 10128 - Dragons) is totally epic.
Yeah, I love the Desert Dragon

Each dragon has a description too:
Residing only in arid, uninhabited deserts, the Desert Dragon is feared by all who travel the endless scorching sands of the world’s great deserts. Its armored scales and powerful pincers have ensured its survival to the present day.
  • Scientific Name: Draco desertum
  • Characteristics: From a distance, the Desert Dragon might resemble an overgrown scorpion, but the fierce, reclusive creature certainly qualifies as a member of the dragon family. In fact, it has the hardest scales of any dragon, along with one of the most powerful bites.
Not super Original (I mean, how many times do you need to use the word desert in one sentence?) but, as I said, great for getting ideas.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I've never thought of fully redoing all the dragons - cool idea.

It's always felt odd in 3.5/PF and now 5e that four of the Chormatic dragons line up with four of the energies, but that sonic/thunder was left out. I'd ponder making their roar be their breath weapon.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I've never thought of fully redoing all the dragons - cool idea.

It's always felt odd in 3.5/PF and now 5e that four of the Chormatic dragons line up with four of the energies, but that sonic/thunder was left out. I'd ponder making their roar be their breath weapon.

Hmmm...maybe a cave dragon with a thunderous breath weapon?

Remove ads