• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New article - Elves, Eladrin and Drow. Oh, my!

Irda Ranger

First Post
catsclaw227 said:
Drow paladins of Lolth. A paladin is not necessarily good anymore.
Yeah, we've known this for a while now. It's one of the reasons I prefer "Herald" to Paladin. The name "Paladin" is fairly strongly associated with law and good (for good reasons). I think a "Herald" is a neutral term that encompasses what the class is about. For instance, if "Herald of Gruumsh" is leading the horde marching on the city, you know you're in for a rough couple days/weeks/months.

catsclaw227 said:
I think an evil Paladin of Lolth sounds like an awesome NPC villian.
well duh! :D

HeinorNY

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
Yeah, we've known this for a while now. It's one of the reasons I prefer "Herald" to Paladin. The name "Paladin" is fairly strongly associated with law and good (for good reasons). I think a "Herald" is a neutral term that encompasses what the class is about. For instance, if "Herald of Gruumsh" is leading the horde marching on the city, you know you're in for a rough couple days/weeks/months.
"Champion" is also a good opiton ;)

Doug McCrae

Legend
Orius said:
I prefered 3e's fluffless approach to crunch
3e's crunch wasn't fluffless. Druids = Celtic culture, monks = oriental flavour, Eurocentric weapons chart, sci-fi spell names such as telekinesis, spell schools, arcane/divine split, Vancian magic, flashbang magic, certain spells assume the existence of the astral and ethereal planes, many monsters from European myth and folklore.

Rechan

Adventurer
Doug McCrae said:
3e's crunch wasn't fluffless. Druids = Celtic culture, monks = oriental flavour, Eurocentric weapons chart, sci-fi spell names such as telekinesis, spell schools, arcane/divine split, Vancian magic, flashbang magic, certain spells assume the existence of the astral and ethereal planes, many monsters from European myth and folklore.
Barbarian = a class with the assumed culture of savage or primitive. Sorcerer magic = draconic ancestry.

Knight Otu

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
From the article it seems that

Elves +2 Dex, +2 Wis (as we know)

Eladrin +2 Dex, +2 Int

Drow +2 Dex, +2 Cha (from the comments about their "presence")
Surely that means that there will be two more elfkin, waiting in the weeds - one for Strength, and one for Constitution. :p

Regarding the Drow as characters bit, I get the impression that the MM will give drow a player race write-up, but not any of the fancy stuff that the featured races get, such as racial feats, racial class powers, racial paragon paths, and the like.

erf_beto

First Post
I liked the fluff.

Also, have you noticed the bit about noble eladrin and their loyalty stuff? I've been wondering wheter a character can make a pact with a powerfull eladrin noble to become a warlock. This would be the fey pact, of course, and would probably work really well for a party of NOT-evil characters...

Warlock. Not. Evil. I like it :D

Orius

Legend
Simia Saturnalia said:
Except that D&D has often supported many many homebrews that look like Greyhawk , perhaps one of the reasons why it's the biggest RPG. That's where the complaint is, DMs want to use their own worlds that look like Greyhawk , not WotC's world, and now they have to house-rule extensively instead of the non-Greyhawk DMs.

All bolded text added by myself, but I believe that's a little closer to accurate.

You know, I used to sneer a bit at the cranky old grognards, but I'm beginning to feel a bit more sympathetic towards them.

Some of the ideas are good, but there's far too much implied setting for my taste. Maybe there's more "non-Greyhawk" DMs out there than people ripping of Gary's old game, but that doesn't mean they're people who want to play the very strongly implied setting of 4e either.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads