• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New article - Elves, Eladrin and Drow. Oh, my!

Falling Icicle

Adventurer
Wormwood said:
It really looks like 4e is backing away from 'each race gets a pantheon' thinking---and once you strip out the needless racial divide, Gruumsh and Talos are pretty much the same guy.

As critical as I have been of some of the 4e fluff changes, I actually agree with this. I didn't like having hundreds of different gods (FR, I'm looking at you). And I didn't really like each race having an entire pantheon.

I was at first very much against the idea of Eladrin replacing high elves, but after reading this article, I'm warming up to the idea a bit. After all, I can always just call them "high elves" if I want to.

I do feel like pointing out though that this reminds me alot of the Elves in WoW. The eladrin strongly resemble the high/blood elves (who adore arcane magic above all else), while the elves resemble the night elves (they even worship a moon goddess). That said, I don't really have a problem with this, as I like the elves in WoW. :p

The Little Raven

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
I do feel like pointing out though that this reminds me alot of the Elves in WoW.

Reminds me of a lot of the stuff I read in the Complete Elves Handbook back in 2nd edition, except without the glaring "ELVES ARE TEH RULEZ0RZ!!!11" slant of the text. We already had the magic-loving grey elves, the feral wood elves, and the moon goddess consort of Corellon.

Doug McCrae

Legend
The drow are a brilliant concept, the borg of D&D.

I love that they will finally have a workable PC version, without LA. In fact I'm gonna have to buy Forgotten Realms 4e now. Damn those Wizards of the Coast with their clever sales tricks, splitting up the good stuff.

The Little Raven

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
So I take it Drow aren't going to be in the MM anymore?

As a monster, yes. As a race, probably not if the FRCS is the first place to present them as PCs.

In normal D&D, drow are villains, while in FR (because of Drizzt and his ilk), the good drow concept has a larger foothold.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Falling Icicle said:
So I take it Drow aren't going to be in the MM anymore?

Very clever way to make everyone buy the new FR campaign book, WotC...

I may be wrong, but stat-wise, the Drow of FR is perhaps slightly different.

Now, the good drow is ever a rarity... very, very rare, even in FR. Unlike what the haters may say, it's a chance in hell to find an eilistrean.

Rechan

Adventurer
The Ubbergeek said:
Now, the good drow is ever a rarity... very, very rare, even in FR. Unlike what the haters may say, it's a chance in hell to find an eilistrean.
Cough Skullport temple of Eilistrea cough.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads