• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Character Builder from WotC!

JoeGKushner

First Post
Oh, yes. The calm and reserved reaction we saw from everyone when they announced Dark Sun and Essentials weren't going to be in September's CB update was a wonderful thing to see. :lol:

Almost as wonderful as seeing all of those perfectly paitent and saintly people defending WoTC by claiming that WoTC was never legally responsible to do so and all this talk of WoTC eating babies was getting out of hand. ;)

Hussar

Legend
Almost as wonderful as seeing all of those perfectly paitent and saintly people defending WoTC by claiming that WoTC was never legally responsible to do so and all this talk of WoTC eating babies was getting out of hand. ;)

"Legally responsible"? How so?

Sure, it would be great for them to update the offline CB, but, how are they legally responsible for doing so?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
"Legally responsible"? How so?

Sure, it would be great for them to update the offline CB, but, how are they legally responsible for doing so?
He won't be able to answer you. He's been suspended for his continuing rudeness in this and other threads.

Please treat other members with respect, folks, even when you don't agree with them.

Nytmare

David Jose

Granted, the extent of my law knowledge is limited to what I've gleaned from "Law and Order", and I was away from the game when any of this might have happened, but if WOTC said something along the lines of "Essentials and Dark Sun will be in the character builder eventually, just give us time to put it in." and then waited a couple months to say "Surprise! We didn't tell you WHICH Character Builder we were going to put it in! Haha!" isn't that at least akin to fraud?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Granted, the extent of my law knowledge is limited to what I've gleaned from "Law and Order", and I was away from the game when any of this might have happened, but if WOTC said something along the lines of "Essentials and Dark Sun will be in the character builder eventually, just give us time to put it in." and then waited a couple months to say "Surprise! We didn't tell you WHICH Character Builder we were going to put it in! Haha!" isn't that at least akin to fraud?

An argument could be made for that, given that they did receive money from persons for the period between that announcement regarding the CB1 and the release of the CB2. After all, at least SOME of those people renewed their subscriptions with that promise in mind.

However, a simple refund is probably all they're likely to get.

renau1g

First Post
They have given refunds for those people who've asked from what I've read so if people were taken in by that, they can get their money back.

Hussar

Legend
Just a note here about the whole "WOTC Defender" schtick.

I've seen a number of comments to the effect that people are defending WOTC no matter what. And, sure, that might be happening, although, given that I've now seen Pirate Cat AND MerricB blast WOTC for the online CB, I really don't think that's terribly true.

However, even in this thread, we've seen detractors making all sorts of really unsubstantiate claims - WOTC is going to use the online CB to steal your IP, WOTC is going to charge extra for this, WOTC is going to hold your character hostage, now WOTC is legally bound to provide an update to the offline CB - that it becomes very hard not to defend WOTC.

I couldn't really care less about WOTC or the DDI. I'm not a subscriber, nor am I likely to become one in the foreseeable future. But, it does bother me, although I'm not sure why, when I see claim after claim saying how awful WOTC is for things that, in my most charitable view, are mistaken criticisms.

It's not about defending WOTC, it's about trying to find a bit of balance in the criticisms and providing a bit of counter-argument against what I truly feel are very mistaken criticisms.

Now, if you want to blast WOTC for shoveling a crappy product out the door in the online CB? Go for it. They completely deserve that from where I'm standing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It's not about defending WOTC, it's about trying to find a bit of balance in the criticisms and providing a bit of counter-argument against what I truly feel are very mistaken criticisms.

Now, if you want to blast WOTC for shoveling a crappy product out the door in the online CB? Go for it. They completely deserve that from where I'm standing.

Huzzah for Hussar!

Remove ads