New Content or Better Content?

Kzach

Banned
Banned
With the introduction of the Bladesinger class I'm left shaking my head at the thought-processes going on inside WotC. Did we really need this new class? It can be replicated pretty closely within the current system so it's not like it was filling any sort-of desperately needed niche. And even if it was, did we really need it any way?

WotC has how many people left working on 4e that were there at its advent? Mearls is the only one I can think of, off the top of my head. They've thinned down their creative departments so much that I'm left wondering just who is doing any work on anything at the company.

So when they introduce a whole new class, I'm a bit deflated because it means work has gone into that, that could've been put into the billion and one other things I'd rather see happen, like fixing the assassin, or updating all the monster statblocks to MM3 format, or fixing any number of balance issues, or working on the functionality of the Monster Builder.

Instead we get a new class which brings with it entirely new balance issues that will have to be addressed, not to mention all the support material it will require.

So, my question to you is, "Would you rather see new content, or would you rather they fixed all the current content?"

Shawn_Kehoe

First Post
I think most people would prefer new content when they buy a book. Balance fixes and errata should be free-of-charge ... and for the most part they have been. And while it might be helpful if WotC were to dedicate all of its energies into throughly addressing all existing rules issues, that would pretty much kill their revenue stream in the meanwhile.

blalien

First Post
You know what else would be fun? Having a good attitude. Maybe you could actually try this class and find out that you love it. Or maybe some other people really like it and Wizards can't be spending every ounce of energy making you, in particular, happy. Wizards is working on a lot of things right now, and maybe you'll really enjoy the next thing they reveal. Isn't that a pleasant thought?

One day, Nasreddin Hoja was riding his donkey to go to the market, followed by his son who was marching on foot. A stranger saw them and told Hoja he was cruel and a bad father for riding the donkey and letting his child go on foot. Hoja, ashamed, had his son ride on the back of the donkey while he himself dismounted and they continued their way to the market. After a while, they met another person who mocked Hoja for walking on foot and having his son ride, since his son was a young boy and didn't have any problems going on foot while he was old and tired. Nassredin thought he was right, so he climbed back up on his seat, and now they continued their way to the market, both riding. Not too far away, people started calling them names and denouncing their cruelty towards the poor animal, for riding both at the same time while having it carry the stuff to sell at the market. So, Hoja and his son dismounted, and they continued on foot. Soon enough, they met some other people who were laughing and pointing fingers at them and mocking them for their stupidity, having a pack animal and not riding but instead going on foot... So Hoja turned on his son and said: See son? It is absolutely impossible to please the public opinion, so just do what YOU think is right and get done with it!! And so, he climbed on the donkey as he had from the start, and let his son walk on foot...

Ketjak

Malicious GM
One day, Nasreddin Hoja was riding his donkey to go to the market, followed by his son who was marching on foot. A stranger saw them and told Hoja he was cruel and a bad father for riding the donkey and letting his child go on foot. Hoja, ashamed, had his son ride on the back of the donkey while he himself dismounted and they continued their way to the market. After a while, they met another person who mocked Hoja for walking on foot and having his son ride, since his son was a young boy and didn't have any problems going on foot while he was old and tired. Nassredin thought he was right, so he climbed back up on his seat, and now they continued their way to the market, both riding. Not too far away, people started calling them names and denouncing their cruelty towards the poor animal, for riding both at the same time while having it carry the stuff to sell at the market. So, Hoja and his son dismounted, and they continued on foot. Soon enough, they met some other people who were laughing and pointing fingers at them and mocking them for their stupidity, having a pack animal and not riding but instead going on foot... So Hoja turned on his son and said: See son? It is absolutely impossible to please the public opinion, so just do what YOU think is right and get done with it!! And so, he climbed on the donkey as he had from the start, and let his son walk on foot...
I love a good donkey show.

blalien

First Post
I always thought the story ended with the old man and the little boy carrying the donkey on their backs. Then they break their backs and die.

Mengu

First Post
With the introduction of the Bladesinger class I'm left shaking my head at the thought-processes going on inside WotC. Did we really need this new class? It can be replicated pretty closely within the current system so it's not like it was filling any sort-of desperately needed niche. And even if it was, did we really need it any way?

Yes, we did need it. The controller role is still rather nebulous. By my reckoning, the Bladesinger is the best definition for what a controller might be doing. Hunter was the latest closest thing, but Bladesinger blows that out of the water. You can focus fire *and* control. That's currently the best kind of team playing controller there is, and I can be on board with that concept as a new definition for control. Invokers got some of that goodness with powers like Thunder of Judgment, but not near enough to the mark.

So, my question to you is, "Would you rather see new content, or would you rather they fixed all the current content?"

I would rather they do both. I love seeing content like the Bladesinger, it's pretty much what I've been wanting for the controller. I tried out the Hunter, and I've been fairly pleased with it, but I was unhappy with my inability to help the team focus fire, whenever I wanted to "control" a target. I'll be happy to try out a Bladesinger as soon as it hits the CB.

I also want some of the shortcomings of existing classes, races, items, etc. get fixed (and I mean fixed, not patched).

Like many a consumer, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

And someone give UngeheuerLich xp for the Nasreddin Hodja story for me. I apparently need to spread the love. You can't please everyone all the time, but you *can* please some of the people some of the time.

Dice4Hire

First Post
What we need right now is new content, but all in the adventure or campaign setting areas. I would love to see an Astral Sea Campaign setting for epic level characters, with details on the gods and their myriad plots.

That would be cool.

New classes are not really needed, but new options for old ones would be great.

Remove ads