D&D 3E/3.5 New D&D 3.5 Character class (spellcaster)

Housemaster3000

First Post
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Im looking for what people think of the Arcane adept, and what i could do to make it more ballanced, or features that would be better with it. any opinions to do with the class in general are welcome. even insults, but keep those to a minimum please.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]
I have finally unbroken the spellcasting.... instead of using a spellcraft check, which can easily be broken, we are going to make a caster level check, where the dc is based off your arcade adept levels.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Arcane adept[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Arcane adept is a new spellcasting class that uses innate magic like the sorcerer, but us a focus to channel their energy into the effects they want. He has also learned how to concentrate magical energy over time, rather than focusing it each day.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]HD: d4 [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AB: 1/2 of level.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Saves: Good Will save, Poor Fort/Ref. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Skill points: 2+Int mod per level.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Class skills: Appraise, Concentrate, Craft, Decipher Script, Knowledge (all), Profession, Spellcraft.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Proficiency: Simple weapons, no armor or shields. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Starting equipment: 3d4x10 gold pieces. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Spell points[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Arcane adept receives a number of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]spell points[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] per day, with which he can cast spells with. The Arcane adept always starts with three Spell points (even at level zero if that is the only level). At first level they gain enough points to cast a level 1 spell. Every other level after that, they gain enough points to cast another spell of one level higher. On all even levels, they gain as many points as they gained the previous level. In order to gain the points when you gain a level, you must first meet the intelligence requirements of the next spell level. The intelligence requirement is 10 + the spells level. The spell points added up are on the chart. [/FONT]
LVL | Spell points (unmodified)​

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1 5[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2 7[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]11[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]4 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]15[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5 22[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]6 29[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]7 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]40[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]8 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]51[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]9 67[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]10 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]83[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]11 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]105[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]12 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]127[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]13 156[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]14 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]185[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]15 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]222[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]16 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]259[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]17 305[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]18 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]351[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]19 407[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]20 463[/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Arcane adept gains the ability to hold an amount of spell points. The ability gains potency every 2 levels. At 1st, they can reserve up to their int modifier in spell points. At 3rd level they can hold 2 time there int mod in reserve. 3 times int mod at 5th ect. These points are held indefinitely. The amount of spell points you can reserve in 1 day is equal to your caster level. The Arcane adept must get rest as normal, and meditate for half an hour to add the spell points for the day.[/FONT][/FONT]​

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Spells[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Arcane adept uses his spellcasting prowess to Channel his Spells through his arcane focuses. When he casts a new spell, he must focus it through an arcane focus, and succeed a caster level check of the 10+Spells level+Minimum caster level+ Minimum caster*3 – level's in arcane adept of the character*3. (10+SL+Min CL+ [min cl-Character cl]*3) Instead of learning spells per level, the Arcane adept must make a spellcraft check To recreate a spell that was described to him, or cast near him(it is the same DC to identify a spell). The character trying to cast the spell must also have an intelligence equal to the spells level + 10. Thus casting a level 1 spell takes 11 int, and a level 9 spell requires 19 int. If they are to miss the check, they cannot make the check again till they have gained a level, or you can spend your maximum spell points reserve for your level to retry all previous failed attempts. Of the caster fails by more than 10, then they make a fortitude save of the roll on spellcraft. If they fail that, then the spell points lost turn into raw magic damage to the caster. A 1 is a fail no matter what your spellcraft is, but doesn’t necessarily incur the fortitude save. If they should succeed, then they add the spell to their Arcane focus.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Note:[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Spells are only from the Wizard/Sorcerer spell list. Metamagic feats can be added to a spell. Each time that is done, a new Channel must be created, and the spell is treated as the higher level for the purpose of Creating the new channel in the Arcane focus for the new spell cast in the future. [/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Familiar[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]The Arcane adept may obtain in the same manner as a Sorcerer or Wizard would gain a familiar. All the same abilities except that the Implement Mages familiar can act as a temporary focus for 2+your int modifier spells. Each uses is counted, and any level of spell can be used. You still must create a channel with a successful spellcraft check in order to cast it. Each failed attempt does count towards the day’s total. [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]

The cost in spell points of a spell is as follows:
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Take n to be the level of the spell. The cost = n + the previous spell levels cost. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]i.e. A 0th level spell costs 1 SP, a first level spell costs 2 SP 2nd =4 SP, 3rd = 7 SP, etc. A 9th level spell costs 46 SP.[/FONT]
The Required Intelligence to cast a spell is equal to the spells level + 10

Special ability
Sense focus = When an Arcane adept touches an object that they have created a channel through, they sense all channels through it, and there nature. In essence they sense the spells that can be cast through them as a free action.​

Bonus Feats:
Eshrew materials is a free feat at first level
6th= 1 bonus feat from Wizard Bonus feats
Every 6 levels after 6th, the arcane adept gains a bonus feat from the wizard bonus feats list.​

Arcane focus An Arcane adept Doesn’t use a Spellbook like a Wizard. They also don’t lock it into their brain like the sorcerer. They create a channel in which to send their energy through. The nature of this channel determines the effect. This channel can be a temporary one, allowing for the casting of the spell once with a successful spellcraft check. This channel can also be put through an Arcane Focus. The arcane focus holds the channel for future use. Due to the nature of this channel, no other activated magic besides other Channels can reside in the item. An arcane focus counts as a weapon, and must be treated as such, if it is a 2 handed weapon being used as a focus, then it requires 2 hands. Wands require 1 hand. Tiny focuses don’t take up weapon slots. Max 1 per finger, and/or limb. Wands and rings can be used in conjunction.
Item Size determines Max spell capacity(levels of spells totalled).​

Item size - Spell capacity
Tiny [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](ring, amulet, bracelet) [/FONT][/FONT]- 2
Small [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](Wand, Bracer, Helmet)[/FONT] - 5
Medium [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](Staff, Spear, Cloak)[/FONT]- 10
Large (something more than 75 lb) - 20​
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Huge (something over 200lb) -40[/FONT]

Item quality determines Max spell level the item can handle.
Item quality - Initial spell level
poor - 2
average - 3
masterworked - 5
Superior (10000gp) - 7​

max number of gems that can affect an item is determined by item quality aswell​

poor - 2​

average - 4​

masterworked - 6​

Superior (10000gp) - 8​

Gems increase the max spell level and spell capacity​
Gem worth Spell Level Spell capacity
1gp +0 +2
20gp +0 +4
90gp +0 +6
300gp +0 +8
700gp +1 +10
1,500gp +2 +12
3,000gp +3 +14
5,000gp +4 +16
10,000gp +5 +18
30,000gp +6 +20
60,000gp +7 +25
100,000gp +8 +30
300,000gp +9 +35
600,000gp +10 +40
1,000,000gp +11 +50
3,000,000gp +12 +60
6,000,000gp +13 +80
10,000,000gp +14 +100

This Chart guidelines the arcane focus’s potential for The max spell Level it can hold. As well as The spell capacity, which is used to determine how many spell levels it can hold. An arcane focus can be anything, provided it has sufficient value or size, or both.
Spell level is the highest level spell that can be focused through the item
Spell capacity is the number of spells levels the item can hold. The level of a spell takes up that number of spell levels. 1 take up 1. 2 takes up 2, ect

More Information
The Arcane adept can transfer a spell from one arcane focus to another arcane focus over the course of 1 minute per spell level. This transfer doesn't get rid of the original Channel, it just creates a copy of the channel.

Each Arcane adept does the spells differently, so if one Arcane adept tries to use another Arcane adept's arcane focus for a spell, it doesn't fully work, since they aren't sure what the right combination of energy needs to be sent through. As a result, the Arcane adept casts the spell at half caster level until they have studied the arcane focus for 1 hour, and succeed in the spellcraft check that he would have to have made to put it into one of his own arcane focuses. In this case, the Arcane adept didn't have to actually cast it, as he would have with his own arcane focus. The other Arcane adept can explane exactly how to send the energy through the arcane focus, since they do know exactly how. This takes about 1 minute per spell level, and the second Arcane adept can make the spellcraft check much more quickly than normal. This would also allow him to make a second spellcraft check on a spell if he failed when he tried to craft the channel himself.

An Arcane adept cannot create a channel in an arcane focus without Succeeding the spellcraft check, and actually casting the spell, even if he does it in an area that it would not hurt, or effect anything. He does have to successfully cast the spell to add it to one of his arcane focuses.
In order for an Arcane adept to Successfully cast a spell, he has to either have heard of it through description, seeing it, or thinking of the effect that he wants to generate, then trying to create that effect. Reading through a wizards spellbook can done if he can understand the text. That could help him think of ideas for spells. All the Arcane adept needs in order to learn a spell is a successful spellcraft check on any spell that they have read about, seen, or has heard about through description.

I would like to address a few of the rules concerning the metamagic feats and spontaneous spellcasting. Firstly, the Arcane adept is a Spontaneous spellcaster in the fact that he can choose where to allocate his spell points when he is in the heat of battle. The spells in the arcane focus are “prepared” for the fact that if one is prepared as a metamagicly enhanced spell, then it is cast as that enhanced spell.

The Arcane focus that the character creates dont regester as magical ,and cannot be magic items. The arcane focus must be through a nonmagical item. It would destroy the magic in a magic item, or would simply fail to cast (use the rules for dispelling magic items.). Dispelling an arcane focus while it is being used is a universal counterspell just as normal counterspelling.

Casting a new spell through the arcane focus, creating a channel, takes 1 round(it can be disrupted), no matter the spell. (minimum)

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Hawken

First Post
Way too complicated. I got about 1/3 of the way through it and then got bored with the details.

Not interesting at all. Too many different rules to have to learn just for a new class.

You want to do spell points, fine. Leave it at that. I couldn't even bother myself to try to understand the channeling stuff, foci, gems and other stuff. Why should I?

Reserve points? If they get a spare fuel tank, why not the wizard or sorcerer?

I can't figure out what you're trying to accomplish here either. What's the point of this class? Why should someone want to take it? Too many different things to learn and a new magic system is just a headache for DMs. I'd tell my player to take a hike if he asked me for something like this. And if a DM offered it, I'd just take a goblin warrior and be happy.

Seriously though, what's the point? Wizards get massive spell selection, while sorcerers trade versatility for more spells and psions sit somewhere in the middle having a balance of versatility and points to power their stuff. Where does this guy fit in? If a group needs an arcane caster, why would they choose this class over wizard or sorcerer?

Aus_Snow

First Post
For comparison: Spell Points (from Unearthed Arcana), and Legends of Sorcery (a comprehensive system for skill check- and consequence-based magic system for any class in d20 fantasy - the cover price is justified, IMO).

There are others aplenty, but those are probably worth looking at first, I think, because the first is 'official' and the second just excellent.

Anyway, your Arcana Focus ideas seem interesting. I'll have to read through them in more detail when I get a chance.

Housemaster3000

First Post
This class is much easyer to understand with the charts, but, sadly, i could not attach them.

im looking into the unearthed arcana for the spell points, and having the reserve points as the bonus(instead of bonus spells points per day), so that its not an overwhelming bonus of spell points.

the point of the character is to have a great amount of versitility, and spontanious casting. having all your spells in a wand, staff, and other misc objects is way different from a spell book. making a spellcraft check to cast your spell the first time, then being able to focus through that channel later is very useful. sorcerers have a hard time with quicken spell. the arcane addepts spells in the wands are considered prepaired, they just have to be activated, making the arcane adept able to uses such a feat efficiently.

the 2 main reasons i want to use the arcane adept are 1, spell points, and 2 no mangy spell book, and a good selection of spells.

the arcane focus gets expensive. i think that helps ballance out the versitility.

my current Arcane adept has 8 wands, a staff, 4 rings, and a mithril bracer all with gems attached to it coming out ot about 26000 gp value. thats level 10, and he doesnt have that many magic items. those wands, and such are his spell book. he has a lot more spells to choose from than a sorcerer, but doesnt get as many magic items because of it, cant cast as many spells per day (averaged). but he does get to cast quickened spells if he so chooses, and takes a full round action to cast the spell with the metamagic feat on it the first time.

i agree that it is very complecated, and i might take the spell points from the unearthed arcana. the spellcraft check system averages very well, and i checked it through excel.
i need to come up with a better chart for the arcane focuses though. it needs more play testing.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
the 2 main reasons i want to use the arcane adept are 1, spell points, and 2 no mangy spell book, and a good selection of spells.

If you like tables and magic point sstems, might I suggest Elements of Magic (revised) and the supplementary source Lyceian Arcana? Both are excellent works and currently available for less than $5.00 each over on RPGNow.com . Honestly, if you have $10 to spend I would pick those up in the next ten minutes and convert your games.

Note, there is nothing really wrong withyour system. But if youare heading down the roadI think you are going, you won't be satisfied until you've pushed your ideas to the limit. And you'll end up so close to EoM that you cansave yourself a bunch of headache and brainwrack by spending a simple $5.

As to your system, the thoughts are interesting. Personally, I would go the route of psionics myself. It seems that what youwant is a psion who follows magic rather than psionics.

MichaelK

First Post
I'm sorry, this class is completely broken.

By 3rd level you can easily cast wish or any other ninth level spell once per two days.

All you need to do is get a modifier spellcraft of 35 for one full round. Create the channel for the 9th level spell that you want.

Then (assuming INT 20) take your 29 spell points, spend another 7 (of 15) out of your Reserve and bam, one ninth level spell.

Oh, 4th level, sorry you don't get a reserve at 3rd.

Last edited:

Housemaster3000

First Post
I'm sorry, this class is completely broken.

By 3rd level you can easily cast wish or any other ninth level spell once per two days.

All you need to do is get a modifier spellcraft of 35 for one full round. Create the channel for the 9th level spell that you want.

Then (assuming INT 20) take your 29 spell points, spend another 7 (of 15) out of your Reserve and bam, one ninth level spell.

Oh, 4th level, sorry you don't get a reserve at 3rd.

Your right. im still working on stuff... and i think im going to make it a rediculs modifirer for when your trying to cast above what i wizard could. thank you for telling me. and im putting the spell points back to what i had it a few days ago.

and im changing the reserve points, so ill have it up there in an hour or so.

Hawken

First Post
having all your spells in a wand, staff, and other misc objects is way different from a spell book.
How so? It would actually seem to be a bit more dangerous. Spellbooks tucked away in dimensional bags or backpacks at the least are much safer and less sunder-able than a wand or staff in hand. Also, if you're storing your junk in a wand, what happens when you burn through all the charges of the wand and it disintegrates? Or when someone casts Disjunction on it. Can you channel or whatever through it if it is inert because of a Dispel Magic?

So, you want the best facets of the wizard AND the sorcerer classes but without their restrictions? There has to be a balance somewhere in your mix and right now I just don't see it. Its fine that you want to make a class that can do something the wizard or sorcerer cannot, but at the same time, it has to have some kind of drawback or mitigating factor that doesn't make it any more or less playable than any other class.

the arcane focus gets expensive. i think that helps ballance out the versitility.
No it doesn't. It punishes it. Wizards are damned enough having to spend money to gain new spells where NO other class has to do that. It would be more accurate to state that wizards have some versatility when it comes to magic (they do get 2 "free" spells each level), but for anything beyond that it is going to cost them time and money--and a whole lot more if anything happens to their spellbook! You're emulating that, only to a greater degree. Its a crap move forcing a class to spend money to be even minimally effective.

my current Arcane adept has 8 wands, a staff, 4 rings, and a mithril bracer all with gems attached to it coming out ot about 26000 gp value. thats level 10, and he doesnt have that many magic items. those wands, and such are his spell book. he has a lot more spells to choose from than a sorcerer, but doesnt get as many magic items because of it, cant cast as many spells per day (averaged). but he does get to cast quickened spells if he so chooses, and takes a full round action to cast the spell with the metamagic feat on it the first time.
You're missing the point. The wealth for magic items is there for a reason. And that reason is NOT to be good at your class. Its to have the resources and equipment you'll need to get through an adventure--separate from what you need just to pull off your class abilities. You're forcing anyone taking that class to spend money on things just to be able to use their class ability (spellcasting). That means that while they can cast spells, they are not going to have the gear or items they (or their companions) may need just to survive!

I've got to agree with Nonlethal here. Revised Elements of Magic is awesome--by far one of the best magic systems I've come across and I use it in every game where I can and my players love it! Its simpler, easier to learn than what you're proposing and it does it much better I think.

and i think im going to make it a rediculs modifirer for when your trying to cast above what i wizard could
Why don't you just rule that they can only cast X spell level when they are at Y caster level? Its better than skewing the skill DCs to silly levels.

Housemaster3000

First Post
How so? It would actually seem to be a bit more dangerous. Spellbooks tucked away in dimensional bags or backpacks at the least are much safer and less sunder-able than a wand or staff in hand. Also, if you're storing your junk in a wand, what happens when you burn through all the charges of the wand and it disintegrates? Or when someone casts Disjunction on it. Can you channel or whatever through it if it is inert because of a Dispel Magic?
Thank you for this. i will be addressing some more of these in the more information section. the spell channels being created are magical while they are being activated, other than that, they are inert. not something that can be dispelled.
The arcane focuses arent charge based. they use your characters energy to cast your spells.
So, you want the best facets of the wizard AND the sorcerer classes but without their restrictions? There has to be a balance somewhere in your mix and right now I just don't see it. Its fine that you want to make a class that can do something the wizard or sorcerer cannot, but at the same time, it has to have some kind of drawback or mitigating factor that doesn't make it any more or less playable than any other class.
The balance is that they get a smaller total number of spells that can be cast. the points added up for this character without bonus points are 463, and the translated points through the wizard is about 700 and sorcerer is about 1000 (without having the ability mod included, which i did look into aswell.)
they have less spell power, but more spell versitility. the ability to cast spells through items as though they were prepaired, therby allowing quicken spell, and all metamagic feats.
No it doesn't. It punishes it. Wizards are damned enough having to spend money to gain new spells where NO other class has to do that. It would be more accurate to state that wizards have some versatility when it comes to magic (they do get 2 "free" spells each level), but for anything beyond that it is going to cost them time and money--and a whole lot more if anything happens to their spellbook! You're emulating that, only to a greater degree. Its a crap move forcing a class to spend money to be even minimally effective.
Thats true, but it makes it easyer when you do run into another wizard... thats not the point though. The Arcane Adept is ment to be more versitile, and they can survive off mundain items for the spell use, or they can even create there own. The cost is in quality. they have to have a lot of seemingly mundain items (they dont seem magical except when casting spells) in order to get the spell versitility that they want.
the point is that this class is ment to have a couple things that make it not as appealing as the sorcerer or wizard.
You're missing the point. The wealth for magic items is there for a reason. And that reason is NOT to be good at your class. Its to have the resources and equipment you'll need to get through an adventure--separate from what you need just to pull off your class abilities. You're forcing anyone taking that class to spend money on things just to be able to use their class ability (spellcasting). That means that while they can cast spells, they are not going to have the gear or items they (or their companions) may need just to survive!
The ability to come up with a spell on the fly is huge, and needs something to make it balanced. i think the ability to see a wizard cast a spell, and then immulate it with a spellcraft check requires something huge to balance it, and less magic items would do it. they have some magic items, but theres will have to be less than the normal spellcaster, because they are not a normal spellcaster.
Why don't you just rule that they can only cast X spell level when they are at Y caster level? Its better than skewing the skill DCs to silly levels.
the point is that if they master spellcraft to a huge degree, then they can go 1, maybe 2 (i dont think so anymore) spell levels above normal, costing a whole lot of spell energy in compairison though.

why spend money on an alternate spellcasting when i can spend hours of my time creating my own, and thinking of ways to balance it? its fun. its like some people play wow for 5 hours... i look at statistics, and try to find balance in something that didnt exist.

Hawken

First Post
You can argue all you want about how the outrageous costs of your gems justify what you want to do, but you're not going to get any competent DM to allow this class. Gems so valuable they throw the economies of countries into disarray aren't just found willy-nilly and the only things with 7 digit values are in the hands of gods and rulers of planes, not some 15th+ level adventurers trolling around the countryside for goodies!

Your class isn't viable for a plethora of reasons, which you're so far either overlooking, ignoring or hoping no one else will spot them.

1) There is no spell level limit per caster level for your class. An 8th level character could cast a 9th level spell and at 20th, they could cast 9th level spells 10 times a day! That right there is unplayable brokenness. The psion is the closest class to what you're wanting to do and they are limited by caster level in the level of powers they can use. Until you adopt that, don't bother with anything else.

2) You have no rules for adjudicating spells. Your class can come up with any spell they can think of on the fly with no rules in place for determining what level an improvised spell should be. This forces the DM to halt play whenever a player does this and arbitrarily decide a level of a spell without the chance or time to consider its applications or impact on the game. Way too much work/headache for any DM to want to bother with!

2.5) No class has the ability to create a power or spell on the fly. At best, meta-magic/psionic feats, and power point expenditures allow characters to modify existing powers, but new powers or spells don't get created without a lot of research (spending money), and never without some cost involved.

3) Forcing a player to spend wealth to improve/maximize their character's class abilities is broken. No class does this. Some spells have material components or XP components, but there are plenty of others out there that do not or only have a basic cost to get a focus.

4) Despite what you argue, these channel items you're talking about ARE magical. Ask any DM to run a game with this class and they are going to consider those items magical if they store channels that only a specific caster can use. You're just wanting magic items that are Dispel/Disjunction proof, yet you want the basic item cheap and simple enough that if they are sundered or otherwise lost, they are quickly and easily replaced.

5) Your point system is out of whack. You need to simplify your numbers and make sure they are proportionate or something. You really should have just used the point cost from the expanded psionics handbook and then scale your spell points based on that. Your system is kind of clunky and definitely NOT easy to remember; psionics, easy. Power cost there is power level plus previous level; so, a 1st level power is 1, 2nd level is 3, 3rd level is 5, etc. With yours, you have to consult the table or force yourself to memorize something you shouldn't have to memorize.

6) You're not wanting something that is different from Wizard and Sorcerer, you're wanting something that is better than both of them. That's not going to happen. Plus you're wanting to mix in that 4e orb, wand, staff crap that wizards have but without any of their restrictions either.

7) No class can cast a higher level power than what their level allows. You're wanting to let them do it for some spells 1 or 2 levels higher, but the mechanics allow for much more abuse than that when a character that can normally cast 4th level spells at best (8th level caster) can cast a 9th level spell.

8)
why spend money on an alternate spellcasting when i can spend hours of my time creating my own,
Because someone already did what you want to do and they did it better. Its called the Revised Elements of Magic. It works, its balanced without having to spend stupidly silly amounts of money on items and it is not any better than any other spellcasting class, only different.

The REOM rules allow for creation of new spells, but there are guidelines and restrictions in place that do balance it out--none of which you have incorporated into this class.

And to answer your question philosophically: Let's suppose you take 5 hours to create your system. REOM has what you want but its already tested and proven (and better) than what you offer, and they offer it for $5. But, we'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say that your system is just as good (for the sake of this point). That means that your time is only worth $1 an hour! I'm sure you think you're worth more than that, but your actions prove otherwise. That's why you spend money. Part of creating your own thing involves finding out of there is something else out there that already does what you want it to do--and that costs money. That's why you spend.

Remove ads