D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Pluvious

Villager
Yeah, I’m kinda surprised that WotC hasn’t gone the streaming route or even a series given the success of Game of Thrones and the relative dearth of great big screen Fantasy movies.

I think a well written series would be worth a watch

I recently watched "Witcher" on Netflix. I thought that was very good. Good fantasy from a book and video game series. I agree that a series to introduce people to D&D makes so much more sense.

gyor

Legend
Maybe humanoids from the underdark have got ecolocallitation, like bats and dolphins.

Other trick to about controversy about darkskins is easy, the drows are totally covered, with hoods and masks. Then if we can't see the color of the skin, but maybe only the leader, a albine, only fans will notice they are drows.

Or people can act like intelligence adults and not confuse African Americans or black folks with Drow, a fictional species of elves. I don't know, seems easier.

The amount of people worried about about the colour of Drow skin is a tiny, tiny amount of people that is not reflective of the general public. I have yet to see black folks leading protests over Drow in D&D or even care. They have real problem to deal with like racial profiling, not Drow.

You guys are winding your selves up over some silly stuff.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Or people can act like intelligence adults and not confuse African Americans or black folks with Drow, a fictional species of elves. I don't know, seems easier.

The amount of people worried about about the colour of Drow skin is a tiny, tiny amount of people that is not reflective of the general public. I have yet to see black folks leading protests over Drow in D&D or even care. They have real problem to deal with like racial profiling, not Drow.
Not really up to you, though, is it? Though I’m glad you’re here to speak on behalf of the black community. ;)

gyor

Legend
Not really up to you, though, is it? Though I’m glad you’re here to speak on behalf of the black community. ;)

I don't speak for the black community their actions, or lack of them on this issue do. Where is the out cry from the black community on this?

I do have half black relatives and never once have the Drow come up in conversation.

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
I don't speak for the black community their actions, or lack of them on this issue do. Where is the out cry from the black community on this? Post some links showing some outrage in the black community over Drow or admit they really don't care about this.

In fact is there even one person in this entire thread even black? Just curious, maybe I missed a post.

I found Graeme Barber/POCGamer's commentary on Chult & Tomb of Annihilation quite insightful. Graeme has been featured on the DragonTalk show, has a YouTube channel, and is involved in the wider RPG/convention community. He is also of mixed Kenyan descent.

He has a great – if lengthy – article from February 2018 on the problems posed by the drow: Elves We Need, and Elves We Don’t

My read was that he while he did briefly acknowledge that yes "racist tropes about dark skin and evil" are present with the drow, the lion's share of his analysis focused on wanting more nuanced drow lore that can adapt to various settings without locking them into being so tied to the demon lord Lolth. Far from getting hung up on the racist issue, he seems to lament the missed opportunities of more diverse storytelling with the drow and proposes some questions to help course correct. At least that was my read.

gyor

Legend
I found Graeme Barber/POCGamer's commentary on Chult & Tomb of Annihilation quite insightful. Graeme has been featured on the DragonTalk show, has a YouTube channel, and is involved in the wider RPG/convention community. He is also of mixed Kenyan descent.

He has a great – if lengthy – article from February 2018 on the problems posed by the drow: Elves We Need, and Elves We Don’t

My read was that he while he did briefly acknowledge that yes "racist tropes about dark skin and evil" are present with the drow, the lion's share of his analysis focused on wanting more nuanced drow lore that can adapt to various settings without locking them into being so tied to the demon lord Lolth. Far from getting hung up on the racist issue, he seems to lament the missed opportunities of more diverse storytelling with the drow and proposes some questions to help course correct. At least that was my read.

Looks like he's getting his wish, the Exandia Setting has a Drow Empire in Wildemount who have nothing to do with Lloth.

And their are Drow Communities that don't worship Lloth and Drow Blessed of Corellon Larethian who gain sheltered in Elven Temples from Lolth Worshippers.

And if every type of Elf can now be found on Evermeet, then that would include Drow both from Realmspace and other worlds and Planes.

This seems to be a reasonable compromise to me and something I support, I like making Drow less one dimensional and Monolithic and borderline monotheistic. Even MTOFs indictates that there are Drow Cities that do focus worship on Dark Seldarine Gods other then Lolth.

Coroc

Hero
I imagine people in general have never heard of drow.
I doubt this - in a way: Take WOW nightelves, e.g. they are clearly modeled after drow and known to probably far more people than D&D, and I think I can remember that they purposely made their skin look distinctive purple or violet, not dark brow nor black, just to avoid any issues by connecting them somehow to RL black people.

(Why do I have to think of Chinese goblins now? Must be some mental association of me with Star wars Nar Shaddar or so :p)

Remove ads