D&D Movie/TV New D&D movie details? Vecna?!

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I doubt this - in a way: Take WOW nightelves, e.g. they are clearly modeled after drow and known to probably far more people than D&D, and I think I can remember that they purposely made their skin look distinctive purple or violet, not dark brow nor black, just to avoid any issues by connecting them somehow to RL black people.

(Why do I have to think of Chinese goblins now? Must be some mental association of me with Star wars Nar Shaddar or so :p)

This is true... but the Night Elves are the good guys, so no reason to get upset by this.

But yeah, the whole "We have several races of elves... and the super evil one just happens to have the darkest skin tone," is not exactly smart.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is true... but the Night Elves are the good guys, so no reason to get upset by this.

But yeah, the whole "We have several races of elves... and the super evil one just happens to have the darkest skin tone," is not exactly smart.
Yep. Best solutions IMO are to just either not feature Drow in a film, and leave them for later, or to feature Drow but feature at least one Drow that is from a non-Llolth worshipping culture. Not just a “one of the good ones” token, but someone from a culture that is nocturnal, worships the moon or whatever, etc. If you then also have Evil drow, it is now quite clearly a cultural divide, and can’t be mistaken for “the dark skinned guys are genetically evil”.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
How about making all elves - surface, drow, whatever - black or purple or whatnot?
I make my Drow nearly transparent-skinned. Because of, I'm sure you understand, the "Underground dwellers" aesthetic. Their skin is extraordinarily pale-transparent, and their eyes are over-large with larger retinas to absorb more light in dim and dark environs.

But sure, why not?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases