New D&D movie in the works?

jinnetics

Explorer
I'd like to see a series of D&D movies with each one based on a dungeon. "Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft" and "Dungeons & Dragons: Tomb of Horrors." Maybe keep a consistent cast of party members, but the central character would be the dungeon itself.

No one thought Pirates of the Caribbean could be turned into a movie, but it took on a life of its own and was a huge success.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Personally, I always wanted to see a movie version of the Tomb of Horrors. Don't even mention anything about D&D in the title, just call the movie "Tomb of Horrors". Have a party of 8 or so adventurers (all human) go in, and have only 1 or 2 characters make it out alive. Have one of the characters be a traitorous thief or assassin. The promotions for the film could have a tag line like "Who will make it out alive?", "The deadliest adventure", or "Heroes don't always live."

Have you ever seen the Cube movies? ;)

Jack7

First Post
I don't know. If all a film had going for it was D&D then I wouldn't wanna see it, and I like D&D.

To me to be decent at all it would have to actually be about something, other than the game or components of the game. If it were just about the game or components of the game or aspects of the game or elements or monsters of the game or some random set of characters or character types then I could get much better in my own games. And a film about parts of a game just wouldn't sell to the general public, I suspect, anymore than it would sell to me.

No, it would have to actually be about something. Something much greater and more important than just the trappings of D&D and a game. Otherwise I just can't see the general public giving a crap or putting money in to see it.

Personally I'd skip the whole D&D part and just make a really good and interesting fantasy film that was actually about something and if necessary make allusions to D&D. And that ain't even really necessary. Not from the general public point of view, and you'd have to sell to them. Fanboys alone won't generate more than coke and candy money and a three week ride in a theater. Or it would just go straight to DVD on the bargain bin.

Eldorian

First Post
FWIW, Willow managed to do all of things that you claim make it impossible to film a D&D movie and it did them in about 120 minutes, which seems to be the average running length for a film today. I personally think that Willow also felt very D&D-ish.

I <3 Willow. Best fantasy move until Fellowship, and it's a better film than Fellowship if you don't want to dedicate the day to it.

Dire Bare

Legend
I think making a quality D&D movie is completely possible. And I'd love to see it.

I just don't think the folks who have the current license will be able to pull it off. Joel Silver has produced some great films, but his ratio of crap to great favors the crap.

Joel Silver (I)

At the very least, he's failed big time twice with the D&D franchise. And I liked the first movie more than I liked the second, although I wouldn't call either movie "good" or "rewatchable".

I wonder how much control, if any, does Hasbro/WotC have over the film rights? Can they revoke them? Probably not, or they would have already.

Jack99

Adventurer
I think making a quality D&D movie is completely possible. And I'd love to see it.

I just don't think the folks who have the current license will be able to pull it off. Joel Silver has produced some great films, but his ratio of crap to great favors the crap.

Joel Silver (I)

At the very least, he's failed big time twice with the D&D franchise. And I liked the first movie more than I liked the second, although I wouldn't call either movie "good" or "rewatchable".

I wonder how much control, if any, does Hasbro/WotC have over the film rights? Can they revoke them? Probably not, or they would have already.

Sorry, but I have to believe that a guy who can produce stuff like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Matrix (all 3 iirc), Predator and V for Vendetta can indeed produce a kickass D&D movie with the right script and director.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So much I could say, so much to reply to...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmxyj6iInMc]YouTube - R.E.M. - It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I...[/ame]

Dire Bare

Legend

I was able to watch the entire first film without my attention wandering off. I practically fell asleep trying to watch the second, it was so boring and poorly written.

The first D&D movie (IMO) had a pretty decent movie buried under poor direction. The acting (mostly) was okay to good, the production values were good, the screenplay was good, the cast was excellent . . . . but all of that ruined by a first-time director with no talent and the arrogance to skip film school and just buy his way into his first film. Which is one of the reasons I think most people hate the film so much!!! It had soooooo much potential squandered!

The second film was just terrible. Mediocre acting at best, crap production values, boring story, better direction but still not good . . . . the film just didn't stand out in any way other than the D&D logo at the beginning. And the weird face paint and hair dos of some of the characters, like the priest guy . . . shudder!

Obviously, my opinions don't mesh with the standard wisdom!!! :)

Dire Bare

Legend
Sorry, but I have to believe that a guy who can produce stuff like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, The Matrix (all 3 iirc), Predator and V for Vendetta can indeed produce a kickass D&D movie with the right script and director.

Great movies all! But look at the whole list . . .

I don't know, Silver has certainly produced some awesome and iconic films . . . it just doesn't seem like he's able to bring that magic to the D&D franchise. Hopefully he will pleasantly surprise me, as I don't think WotC can revoke the rights.

Remove ads