• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New D&D Terminology

Nebten

First Post
"Nova:" everybody unloads their dailies, typically during a boss fight. I'm sure this has been around for awhile, but seems to come up now more with 4th edition since the weapon users have abilities they can "nova" instead of just the spell casters unloading their moster powerful spells as soon as they can.

"Tap the Die" This one I've been told comes from the southern states (FL to be exact) during RPGA games. It means the PC knows the DC of the skill already and doesn't even need to roll it to make it ( ie Tumble checks or Concentration checks).

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
I'm pretty sure "nova" comes from the old Marvel Superheroes game from TSR (the FASERIP version). The most powerful attack was Human Torch's Nova ability, but after going Nova he was weak and/or unconscious. I think it just stuck in the culture.

A player in my former game coined the term "Ghetto Crit." That's when you roll maximum damage on a normal (non-critical) hit.

I was about to point you to this thread from last year: http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/251433-new-term-ghetto-critical-hit.html But then I realized you were the one that created it. *shrug*

As a consolation prize, I give you this thread, with an alt definition of "ghetto crit": http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/274130-1-hp-remaining-again.html

Argyle King

Legend
"Nazgul Strike" This is when the party
surrounds a helpless enemy and they all simultaneously coup de grace.

"C--k Meat" Rolling a Nat 1

"Big Bob" When you roll a Nat 1 and tie with someone else who also rolled a Nat 1, and then you roll a second Nat 1 for the roll off.

"Shake Hands With The Naga" This is a term for doing something ridiculously stupid or dimwitted. It was inspired by one of the players saying he wanted to shake the hand of a Naga.

"CHAlord" & "Taclord" Terms for the two Warlord Builds presented in PHB1.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
"Tap the Die" This one I've been told comes from the southern states (FL to be exact) during RPGA games. It means the PC knows the DC of the skill already and doesn't even need to roll it to make it ( ie Tumble checks or Concentration checks).
Why "tap"? :-S

@Nebten:

Also, the term "mini-chess" to describe 4E's tactical combats, found here.

Last edited:

A

amerigoV

We call it a suburban critical after someone took (humorous) offense to the term ghetto critical.

Woah buddy! I find that offensive as one who lives in a suburb. I suggest Nazi crit, as that is the only group left that we can make fun of and demean without offending anyone.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Certain monsters have an ability whish imposes the following condition:

"the target cannot use encounter attack powers, daily attack powers, or utility powers (save ends)."​

We have shorthanded that into "You are f***ed, save ends."

Doubly humiliating to see it written on the white-board.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads