New Dark*Matter: d20 or Alternity?

I've been itching to run a Dark*Matter game for years, and might actually have a chance to this summer. I'm confused as to what to do, however, especiallly after the recent thread on Alternity and OOP games, and reading through my original copy of Dark*Matter (Alternity rules).

I suppose it's really up to my players, and what they're willing to play and learn, but what arguments are there for both using old Alternity rules (I've got the rulebooks) or using the new rules (I'd have to convert D*M or plunk down money on the d20 version, which seems silly when most of the fluff is probably exactly the same)?

I like the idea of differing degrees of success, something I'm not really sure if d20 modern supports that well (doesn't really work in D&D), but I'm not super familiar with all of the Alternity rules, and I know my players might be apprehensive about a new game system (the selling point of d20 modern is basically "D&D, but with guns, so less to learn"), but honestly d20 modern is new to them too, even if it is 'familiar.'

If I go the d20 route, is there a decent way to convert Alternity stats to d20 Modern stats?

So what should I do, folks?

Thanks!

A2Z

Explorer
Trevalon Moonleirion said:
I've been itching to run a Dark*Matter game for years, and might actually have a chance to this summer. I'm confused as to what to do, however, especiallly after the recent thread on Alternity and OOP games, and reading through my original copy of Dark*Matter (Alternity rules).
Do you happen to have a link to this thread? :eek:

If your player's are up for it I'd say try Alternity. It might be fun for a change. If they aren't to enthusiastic about a new rules set go with D20. Both are pretty good I think. I preferred the Alternity damage system and the fact that your BA bonus equivalent was just another skill but D20 Modern is just so easy to pick up if you're familiar with D&D.

rowport

First Post

I suppose it's really up to my players, and what they're willing to play and learn, but what arguments are there for both using old Alternity rules (I've got the rulebooks) or using the new rules (I'd have to convert D*M or plunk down money on the d20 version, which seems silly when most of the fluff is probably exactly the same)?

I like the idea of differing degrees of success, something I'm not really sure if d20 modern supports that well (doesn't really work in D&D), but I'm not super familiar with all of the Alternity rules, and I know my players might be apprehensive about a new game system (the selling point of d20 modern is basically "D&D, but with guns, so less to learn"), but honestly d20 modern is new to them too, even if it is 'familiar.'

If I go the d20 route, is there a decent way to convert Alternity stats to d20 Modern stats?

Thanks!
Hey, Trev!

I had the Alternity version and loved it, so I also picked up d20 D*M when it came out last year. You are right that most of the text is identical, so in that sense it is redundant. But, I expect it will save you a fair amount of conversion time if you want to use d20 Modern rules. FWIW, the production value on the book is excellent; if you did not already have the other book I would recommend it fully without hesitation.

I am personally awaiting my copy of Delta Green to run a fun mash-up of d20 Future, d20 D*M and Delta Green with Call of Cthulu. My group is almost religiously committed to d20 rules, so using anything else would be too tough of a sell. (Hey, maybe I will run a GameDay session, too!)

Ranger REG

Explorer

Thanks!
That's up to you. Since I never had any interest in TSR's Alternity I have no preconcieved notion to compare the old version of Dark*Matter with the d20 Modern version. At the moment, I like d20 Modern, so having the new Dark*Matter sourcebook is worthwhile for me. Since I know the gist and nuance of the d20 System mechanics and sub-systems -- I like to tinker with the rules -- I can make adjustment when porting over stats and mechanics from other sources like 3e D&D.

Maybe I will just go out and buy the d20 book. It is less work to learn, and I'm sure I could figure out some sort of "degree of success" thing that'd work to my liking for D20. Alternity does seem like a fun system, though. I guess it really all depends on my players.

But since I'm bumping--are there any decent conversions from Alternity stats to D20?

Buying the d20 book only takes care of the core setting stuff, and not any of the extra supplements I have (and especially the very sexy looking "The Killing Jar" module that I have.)

Cithindril

First Post
I have to say that Alternity is a great system and I'd really recommend giving it a go. The D*M setting was one of my favorites for the game. Some of the many things I like about Alternity:

- varying levels of success depending on dice rolls as you said
- armor as damage reduction vs increase to hit difficulty
- bell shaped probabilities from the use of 2 dice for most rolls (control die plus situation-dependent die)...extremely good and bad results are less likely than average...unlike the linear probabilities in D20
- breakdown of damage into stun, wound and mortal pools with increasing action penalties as damage increases (again this goes to the realism of the game...even a schmuck with a gun can be a threat if he gets a lucky shot)
- skill-based character advancement really allows you to customize your character concept

The Alternity game still has a very strong fan base and a very active and friendly website here:

http://alternityrpg.net

and here:

http://alternityrpg.net/onlineforums

You can find a great deal of player-created game resources and an outstanding discussion forum at that link. Once again I can't praise Alternity enough...hope you stop by the website and give it a shot!

PEACE!
:D

RobJN

Adventurer
Trev, you may want to loot the WotC d20 web enhancement from the Menace Manual, which is a step-by-step rebuild of an Alternity monster into d20.

Combined with the old "Dungeons to Drivespace" article from Dragon, I've found the Menace Manual's web enhancement to be invaluable in crossing the Monster Manual over into Alternity...

Good gaming!

Rob

Rob, that's AWESOME.

And of course this is all for naught as I've found out one of my players isn't really even into Dark*Matter-esque genres. Someday, I'll find a group. Someday. lol.

masshysteria

Explorer
And of course this is all for naught as I've found out one of my players isn't really even into Dark*Matter-esque genres. Someday, I'll find a group. Someday. lol.

Bummer. I say you run it for the rest of the group under the premise that it is a one-shot. And when they start raving about how awesome it was, that player will feel left out and then you can step in and say, "Okay guys, Bob here wants to give Dark Matter a try. I saved your character sheets, so lefts give it another go." Before you know it, you can make it a regular part of your gaming routine.

With that said, my vote is for the Alternity system. d20 Modern is just too over the top and too self-aware. Also, if you start getting into magic and psionics, the Alternity system has some great magic traditions built in that add to the feel of the setting.

Finally, thinking back to when I paged through the d20 Modern Dark Matter book, I believe it is missing the Raw Recruits adventure that was in the back of the Alternity Dark Matter book.

Remove ads