• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dark Sun Info - Free Tyr and the Mountains of Athas

Fitting those life-shaped items into the Primal Power Source seems fine, as we can have something that's primal that doesn't resemble your typical primitive or tribal imagery.

catsclaw227

First Post
My group is talking about hopping over to Dark Sun when it comes out. I wonder what level they'll want to play. At our rate, we'll only be like 10th level for our Scales of War game. I imagine we'll get a 1st or 2nd level module for it as well.

Aren't the campaign guide and the player guide being combined in the same book? If so, I can't see how they could put a 1st level adventure scenario in it as well.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
Aren't the campaign guide and the player guide being combined in the same book? If so, I can't see how they could put a 1st level adventure scenario in it as well.
There is going to be a starter adventure in the book, and there will be a published standalone adventure for PCs levels 2 to 5.

Korgoth

First Post
My group is talking about hopping over to Dark Sun when it comes out. I wonder what level they'll want to play. At our rate, we'll only be like 10th level for our Scales of War game. I imagine we'll get a 1st or 2nd level module for it as well.

Out of curiosity, if someone were to try to start running 4E Dark Sun starting with no 4E materials, what is he supposed to have? Like 3 PHBs (I, II & III) and 3 DMGs plus the DS specific books? It seems like at this point there's a huge investment required for folks who would want to start.

Out of curiosity, if someone were to try to start running 4E Dark Sun starting with no 4E materials, what is he supposed to have? Like 3 PHBs (I, II & III) and 3 DMGs plus the DS specific books? It seems like at this point there's a huge investment required for folks who would want to start.
I think the first 3 Core Rules will suffice to make sense of the rules system. And a DDI subscription wouldn't hurt. Character Builder is downloadable 5 times per month with the same account.

vagabundo

Adventurer

It is hard to say before the setting comes out, but I would guess that the Core three (I) books would be enough. And as mentioned above DDI would be a great help - it is several shades of awesome for game prep anyway.

The way the 4e exception mechanics work I'd say you could backport the system to 3e, and even previous editions, quite easily if that was your thing.

Klaus

First Post
Isn't it amazing how a couple of images serve as shorthand for a campaign? Mentioning "halfling Macchu Picchu" and "moai" was enough to add tons of flavor to a side of Athas I never really liked much.

Danzauker

Adventurer
I like the refitting of life science into the primal source. Has flavour. And leaves to the DM taste to leave the "sci-fi" feel of old times or not.

I also like a lot the effort they are giving to rationalize many of the "assurdities" of the setting (yes, I know we're talking fantasy, but I also like to have some logic into it).

Stil, I hate the fee Tyr assumption... oh well.

Besides, since they are giving rationales to the setting assumptions, I'd like to see how they explain why the first free city in a man's memory span is not stormed over by the other sorcerer-kings a couple of days later, if not just to tell the lesson to their citizens: "do not try this at home, because THIS is what happens next". ;) ;)

vagabundo

Adventurer
Isn't it amazing how a couple of images serve as shorthand for a campaign? Mentioning "halfling Macchu Picchu" and "moai" was enough to add tons of flavor to a side of Athas I never really liked much.

Very true and I did always wonder why the SKs just stayed in their dust bowl and did not try and take the Forest Ridge. I guess I skimmed the ringing mountains part - or failed my Dark Sun Knowledge check.

Now I'll have to try and sell it to my players; they are traditionalists, but I think the gladiatorial combat might sway them.

Wik

First Post
Besides, since they are giving rationales to the setting assumptions, I'd like to see how they explain why the first free city in a man's memory span is not stormed over by the other sorcerer-kings a couple of days later, if not just to tell the lesson to their citizens: "do not try this at home, because THIS is what happens next". ;) ;)

I can give you a few reasons:

1) Going to war is problematic. Remember, in the original text, it is assumed the SK's war with each other, but these wars are more like minor skirmishes. To actually go in and INVADE another City-State, even one without an SK, is dangerous. Especially since Tyr is a very large city-state - only Raam is larger. And Tyr is the best-armed state in the region, since they have access to Iron Weapons. Any war against Tyr, even if Tyr is poorly organized, will weaken the army of the invader enough that they could find their own position endangered by the other five SKs.

2) The loss of Kalak is a good thing, anyway. One less super defiler means there is more for the ones that remain, and less competition. I imagine no SK looked at Kalak's death and felt it was a huge loss.

3) Arrogance. The SK's are the height of power. They see an SK fall, they do not thing "Hey, this could happen to me". They instead arrogantly believe it was because of Kalak's foolishness, and that their own position is much stronger. And, they likewise believe that a city-state NEEDS an SK, and that Tyr will probably implode within a few years or decades. I imagine the goals of all six SKs have some variation of "have agents in Free Tyr, so that when the experiment fails, we can pick up the pieces for personal profit".

4) Iron. Tyr supplies the Iron to the region. Without Iron, things fail. You cannot mine other materials. Farming becomes even harder. Eventually, without iron, you cannot enforce your rule upon your subjects. Essentially - disrupt the iron trade for too long, and you lose, even if you win the war.

5) Profit. Namely, what's the profit in invading Tyr? Sure, you get the iron, but you're going to cut off access to that iron before you get it (which will make the other five SK's hate you). There are no real economic benefits to Tyr beyond the iron that you don't have at home - it's in a desert, too. And probably a distance away. Athas is not a land of empires - it is a land of city-states, and no one has the means to rule multiple states. It is best to play things from the shadows.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads