• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Dungeon Article

Lurker59

First Post
The new dungeon article "Cruel Shadows" has some interesting crunch interspersed throughout it and describes some monsters that will almost certainly be in the MM. The elite template for a soldier is described as +50% HP, +2 AC and Defenses. The "insubstantial" condition after a shadar-kai's Shadow Jaunt allows walking through solid objects. The ability is also described as not working for noncontiguous squares. If this also goes for Eladrins' Fey Step then a lot of complaints about the ability are relatively baseless.

Man I am getting doubled-up name fatigue MAJOR style. It has been going on for a while now, with 4E it seems to be getting worse. Can't they use a little imagination rather than a doubled-up word generator!
WotC said:
...Gloomdeeps...sorrowsworn...Bloodspear...Shadowfell...gloomblade...bloodragers...chainfighters...
Some are worse than others, I'm looking at you Gloomdeep, GLOOOOOM DEEEEEEEP to be said in a deep ghostly voice :\
Thankfully it is fluff (bye bye) because the article is a really neat short encounter background. Definitely worth either a go or, at least, some plagarism!

woooo bewaaare of theee gloooom blades in the glooooom deeeeep......

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Wow, Mach. I think that's a bit of an overreaction. I get your point, but really, who cares? I've never liked the character names in any module I've ever read, so I change 'em. Freaking out seems a bit extreme.

On the subject: Love the article.

Fitz

Nah, Fitz, I am not freaking out at all. As I said it is fatigue (not nerd-rage, a different thing) It is just so, well, lame. And a tad repetitive. I might not like lots of names in fantasy (and most people wouldn't like the ones I make up for my campaign) but at least they are creative. It is not as bad as naming everything like double-dutch: the Oomglay Avecays but it is close ;).

And since I am in a negative mode I though this was funny: "DC 20: The Gloomdeeps get their name from the fact that the caverns are darker than should be natural, even near the surface." errm how are 100% dark 0% light caverns 'darker than natural'? Are they 110% dark :p

Anyway it is a good article (and it is a WotC wide naming convention so not the articles fault) and I will certainly be using it. It is a good use of the alignment is fluff/unaligned is in of 4E:)

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Easy, when light is introduced into the caverns, ie: torch or sunrod. The amount of light they produce is diminished, as if the darkness is pushing back against the light. :p

LightPhoenix

First Post
mach1.9pants said:
Man I am getting doubled-up name fatigue MAJOR style. It has been going on for a while now, with 4E it seems to be getting worse. Can't they use a little imagination rather than a doubled-up word generator!
Some are worse than others, I'm looking at you Gloomdeep, GLOOOOOM DEEEEEEEP to be said in a deep ghostly voice :\
Thankfully it is fluff (bye bye) because the article is a really neat short encounter background. Definitely worth either a go or, at least, some plagarism!

I totally agree. Amongst all the major languages in the world, they couldn't come up with something more evocative? I know it's not original in the least, but I like to take different languages for different cultures and find names from them. At least the names sound more organic than the word-word naming style.

Graf

Explorer
a sometimes-cruel meritocracy
Is that the weakest line ever?

My grade school was an often cruel meritocracy.
Seriously, mince around much?

[edit: the adventure is fairly solid for what it is though. I looks like the fiddly bits in 4e are limited, which could prove to be illusionary but...]

Last edited:

WhatGravitas

Explorer
Looks interesting and useful. And seems like a good adventure hook for me - enough to flesh out on the fly, which makes it good for side treks and so on.

Some almost-crunch information, ideas, yeah I like this article.

Except for Underdark Dark-Under Gloomdeep.

Cheers, LT.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads