• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) (+) New Edition Changes for Inclusivity (discuss possibilities)

Status
Not open for further replies.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yes, writers sit down all the time and start writing without any idea of what should be in the novel. No plan, no theme, no guide other than put words on the page hope you get Shakespeare.
You wouldn’t demand an author to know exactly what characters will be in the work years before they plan an sitting down to write it, though. Nor is anyone here an author D&D .

Remathilis

Legend
You wouldn’t demand an author to know exactly what characters will be in the work years before they plan an sitting down to write it, though. Nor is anyone here an author D&D .
So basically, no one should speculate on a piece of media that doesn't exist yet. Got it Rian.
d6c0ec451c918274d0722d51788dd36d.jpg

Aldarc

Legend
I would propose that further pursuing arguing my analogy will likely not be particularly fruitful. It may help to pause and reformulate the actual argument with each other rather engaging a tangent of a tangent.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So basically, no one should speculate on a piece of media that doesn't exist yet. Got it Rian.

Mod Note:
Someone just got a week-long ban in the thread.

Maybe, just maybe, you want to show just a little more discretion, and rather less snarkiness to your fellow board users in this thread going forward.

That goes for everybody - if you just can't be respectful in this discussion any more, now is the time to simply walk away.

Rushing right now, so still two pages back in my responses.

My issue with this is two-fold.

1) We are all humans anyways behind the sheet

2) Then what makes an Elf, Tabaxi and Halflfing different from each other? If removing the +2 Dex means that the elf is now indistinguishable from a human (and by the way, a variant human can trivially get a +2 Dex) then what makes the +2 Dex races distinguishable?
Well I feel that's fairly simple, the other racial traits you get from them. Which, to be fair, I did say you can pick an choose if you ask your DM, but I also said you have to ask your DM and maybe you could add a hard limit to how many you can grab from another race, like around 2 alternate traits or so. Remember this is just a non-game designer spitballing ideas, so don't expect them to be perfect and balanced.

Plus, there are things that Elves, Halflings, and Tabaxi do that aren't DEX-y. Simple example, but you could make a Tabaxi that's more of a lion than a jaguar, and you could say that Tabaxi gets +2 STR, +1 DEX. (heck, you could do this currently, if you have a player who wants to play a lion based tabaxi, just tell them to use the Bugbear's racial abilities. they fit pretty well, IMO.)

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It should be a process undertaken with extensive playtesting and community feedback. Any answer from one of us is wholly useless.
With that philosophy there's no point in discussing a lot of things that are discussed here on a regular basis.

We aren't designing 6e. It's a discussion about what sorts of things, feasible and unfeasible, we feel should be in 6e. It doesn't take playtesting and feedback for that.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I would expect an author of a series, say George R.R. Martin, to have had at least SOME idea of what will be in this next book(if it ever get finished), 20 years ago.

D&D is similar to a book series. We can guess from prior books in the series(1e-5e) what might be in 6e.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads