New edition of Dark Heresy/40K rpg is called..Imperium Maledictum.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
I'm cautiously optimistic.

That said, while I have all the FFG Dark Heresy books and most of their other 40K books, I'm ashamed to say that I've only played a 40K RPG once (really enjoyed it!) and have never gotten to run one. Given my vast library of other unplayed/underplayed RPGs, I don't see myself running a game/campaign in the near future, either... but I'll hopefully get there someday!

Oh, and despite my 40K RPG library, I'm also ashamed that I've never had time to immerse myself deeply in the lore of the setting.

May still pick up the book if the reviews are good, as perhaps starting on the ground floor with a new edition might kickstart my desire to run a game/campaign (I know most of my players would totally be on board to play a Dark Heresy game).

I do like the emphasis Imperium Maledictum is placing on investigations. And who knows... maybe I'll mash that up with Free League's upcoming Blade Runner RPG to create my own special brew?

Emirikol

Adventurer
My players really love 40k and have read many of the books. I've always been a Fantasy guy myself, so it's a chance to sit back and be a player.
If it injects more roleplay and ditches the SHEER WEIGHT of other character building rulesets I'll be thrilled.

darjr

I crit!

Crusadius

Adventurer
A game having a focus on intrigue and investigation suggests there may be systems in the game to support these things, perhaps these systems being just as detailed as the combat system. In any case I am interested.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Based on the Cubicle 7 product blurb and the current societal zeitgeist, I also can't help but wonder if the main premise will be that "citizen PCs" uncover the many totalitarian lies upon which the Imperium is founded, and then take action to subvert it. I think that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: The title of the game, i.e., "accursed/damned empire," also indicates up front that the Imperium of Man itself is far from a bastion of good. Conversely, the title "Dark Heresy" suggested that the evil was primarily external. The latter will of course remain the dominant in-game propaganda, but I wonder if Imperium Maledictum will place more emphasis on the former as the basis for campaigns going forward.

Then again, I'm sure the die hard GW adherents on these boards will chime in if current GW lore provides additional insights into the direction C7 might take with the RPG. My knowledge is superficial at best.

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Based on the Cubicle 7 product blurb and the current societal zeitgeist, I also can't help but wonder if the main premise will be that "citizen PCs" uncover the many totalitarian lies upon which the Imperium is founded, and then take action to subvert it. I think that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: The title of the game, i.e., "accursed/damned empire," also indicates up front that the Imperium of Man itself is far from a bastion of good. Conversely, the title "Dark Heresy" suggested that the evil was primarily external. The latter will of course remain the dominant in-game propaganda, but I wonder if Imperium Maledictum will place more emphasis on the former as the basis for campaigns going forward.

Then again, I'm sure the die hard GW adherents on these boards will chime in if current GW lore provides additional insights into the direction C7 might take with the RPG. My knowledge is superficial at best.

WH40K's always assumed both sides are evil, so this wouldn't be anything new.

Being actually able to do anything to make the Imperium of Man less grimdark seems at variance with the basic premises of the setting, but then maybe they're playing with them a little. Keep in mind the totalitarian lies actually have a point in-setting, i.e. the extermination of psykers produces an astronomical beacon necessary for navigation and heretics can open gates full of demons and turn your unit into tentacle blobs. The point is the alternatives are even worse (also an argument of real-life totalitarian and otherwise oppressive governments, of course...)

aramis erak

Legend
I'm cautiously optimistic.

That said, while I have all the FFG Dark Heresy books and most of their other 40K books, I'm ashamed to say that I've only played a 40K RPG once (really enjoyed it!) and have never gotten to run one. Given my vast library of other unplayed/underplayed RPGs, I don't see myself running a game/campaign in the near future, either... but I'll hopefully get there someday!

Oh, and despite my 40K RPG library, I'm also ashamed that I've never had time to immerse myself deeply in the lore of the setting.

May still pick up the book if the reviews are good, as perhaps starting on the ground floor with a new edition might kickstart my desire to run a game/campaign (I know most of my players would totally be on board to play a Dark Heresy game).

I do like the emphasis Imperium Maledictum is placing on investigations. And who knows... maybe I'll mash that up with Free League's upcoming Blade Runner RPG to create my own special brew?
It sounds exactly like the pitch for Dark Heresy...
Which was fun to run.
Of the FFG cores, I preferred Rogue Trader, as it enables characters from all cores except black crusade...

Remove ads