D&D (2024) New equipment list

jasper

Rotten DM
I think the equipment list should be updated to include Greater Potion of Healing. Also I think Spelljammer should have its own equipment list. What should be added to the list and deleted?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I'd like to see mechanically dfistinct equpment lists for darksun FR & eberron from the start rather than an equipment lit for FR & "your the gm you fix it" after the baseline is set too high in one area or another. Cantrip wands & eternal wands rather than just innate too

R_J_K75

Legend
I'd like to see mechanically dfistinct equpment lists for darksun FR & eberron from the start rather than an equipment lit for FR & "your the gm you fix it" after the baseline is set too high in one area or another. Cantrip wands & eternal wands rather than just innate too
Yeah I like to see some setting diversity in the new books from the get go. As I've said quite a few times the core books dont have be the traditional 3 cores at 300+ pages. They could do shorter books at a lower price point. Equipment from specific settings for instance. Same with races, classes and backgrounds. Who knows what it would look like, but I think there is a lot of things they could do to restructure the format of the core books. OTOH, I'd also be happy if they expanded the size of the 3 cores and sold them at a higher price point where needed. If they are unwilling to break from tradition here Im going to question if Im even interested in this next edition.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I'm another one who would remove the existing healing potion from the general store list, so I'm not really on board with adding more magic items to it.

I'd also be interested in seeing LESS specificity in weapons. I miss the old Normal Sword - whatever the aesthetic design, a culture's primary blade weapon did 1d8 damage. It's how we originally got the longsword and scimitar, which were mechanically pretty much identical until the WorC days began.

But following from there, I'd like to see a return to weapon mastery as well, so a character could develop specific skills and maneuvers with a given weapon, which might appease those who want more differences in design. After all, in the real world you can do things with an axe you can't do with a sword, and vice versa.

In my games having greater healing potions on the list would make sense but our campaigns tend to have easily available low level magical items. I can see why others might not want that.

I would have an ordinary items/equipment list and a separate one with a heading like "Variant Rule: Common Magic Items". That variant list would have your healing potions, the stuff from Xanathar's, and a few setting specific things like the wands from Eberron. Include the setting they originate from as a hook and easy way for a DM to say you can use the list but nothing from DS, Spelljammer, etc. Setting books could then build off this list and remove anything from other settings.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I’d like t he equipment list to be modular.

Playing a medieval-esque sword and sorcery? That’s what the base equipment list is there for. Playing a Forgotten Realms-like high-fantasy setting? These items are also available. Play an Eberron-type magiteck setting. This third list got you covered.
Ideally, such lists should be in the relevant setting books, though.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Honestly rather than have prices for any magic items (potions, scrolls, magic items, spellcasting) in the PHB, I'd rather see a section in the DMG with guidance on how to price (and make available) such things, for both buying and selling. The players should never be able to point to text and say, "Actually, that's supposed to be worth X."

Remove ads