• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Faces (Forked: Its the terminology that kills me...)

Cadfan

First Post
Actually, it means, "you think you're better than me so I don't like you." I know plenty of elitists who aren't actually better than me in any way, shape, or form.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Just to cut in, I don't think anyone in this thread has said "new faces are bad." Seriously, stop throwing out crap that hasn't been said and then going "HEY LOOK MY ARGUMENT AGAINST WHAT NEVER HAPPENED IS AWESOME!"

What HAS been said is that new does not always equal good. That it's conditional. What has been said is that new = new, and that sometimes it's good, and sometimes it's bad. Once more, look at the video game industry - it's never been bigger, it's been growing hugely, and it's setting itself up to crash. How much good did it's growth do? Again, rampant growth isn't always good. It's also called cancer.

Also, I don't care how much good stuff you like. If you like Larry the Cable Guy, you have horrid taste in my books :]

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
There's no such thing as bad taste, only different taste than yours. If we got a whole lot of new players who all have "bad tastes" in our minds, then it's really use who have the bad taste.

I counter with what one of my Calculus professors so enjoyed saying whenever she asked for the class to respond to a multiple choice question by a show of hands: "And once again, the majority is wrong!"

Best part of that class. :p

Klaus

First Post
#4 for me and i like being called an elitist. Or insinuated that i'm elitist. Elite is the best, the most intelligent, the most competent, the best. If someone calls me an elitist it means that they know I'm better then them. Who am i to argue with that sort of compliment?

I don't know if you're aware of it, but "elite" and "elitist" aren't synonyms.

Elitism: The belief that certain persons or members of certain classes or groups deserve favored treatment by virtue of their perceived superiority, as in intellect, social status, or financial resources. (American Heritage Dictionary)

Elite: The best or most skilled members of a group. (American Heritage Dictionary)

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
#4 for me and i like being called an elitist. Or insinuated that i'm elitist. Elite is the best, the most intelligent, the most competent, the best. If someone calls me an elitist it means that they know I'm better then them. Who am i to argue with that sort of compliment?
Nobody is accusing you of being an elite vocabularian.

B-)

Invisible Stalker

First Post
New faces are a great thing. I love the enthusiasm.

Its the older, experienced players who do things like roll their eyes at someone else's character, or call a plotline cheesy, or try to play a personal metagame against the dungeon master, or ruin the mood by constantly signaling that they're too cool to enjoy the things the other players are finding fascinating, or have presuppositions that only particular fantasy archetypes are acceptable in D&D and anything influenced by popular culture is beneath them, or... well, I could go on for a while. Older, experienced players with the wrong attitude are a plague on the hobby and I hate them with the burning fires of a thousand suns that are, themselves, also on fire.

Bring on the new players. Their energy and clumsy enthusiasm is worth a million times more than jaded proficiency.

You win the car, the washing machine and the piggy bank. :D

RFisher

Explorer
New faces mean more money going to FLGS and publishers which means more games get produced and we have places to buy dice and find new friends.

In the gaming industry as in everything to stop growing is to start dieing.

The FLGSs are already dying or getting creative. ’Cause the challenges of being a brick-and-mortar retailer these days are big enough on matter what you’re selling.

We can buy dice online.

We can find new friends online or through age-old networking.

How many of us really have any need for any more games? At this stage, is more games what the hobby needs?

How many of us would really notice that much if the industry died? At this stage, is the industry more good for or more detrimental to the hobby?

I don’t know the answers, but I’m not sure sure they’re as clear-cut as they used to be.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Exactly, just like the people who call a certain politician elitist because they went to a better school, started a better business, and know better then them how to run something. Its basically saying "oh your better then me so i dont like you".

I get what you're saying, and it can be awfully hard to deal with non-elitist people when you're in the elite. If you tire of the conversation here, I welcome you to mosey over to CircvsMaximvs. We know how to properly treat the elitist gamer.

Remove ads