• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New FAQ

kenobi65

First Post
Voadam said:
I seem to recall a 2e spell called silver beard that was specific to dwarven priests (of Clangeddin Silverbeard). . . I think it was in an FR book, Demihuman Deities or Prayers from the Faithful. It might be updated for 3e in Magic of Faerun, but I'd have to check.

It's in Spell Compendium (and I think it was in Complete Divine before that)...it's now a paladin spell.

Adso

First Post
green slime said:
And... Is the following really a Frequently Asked Question?

Pit of alchemist fire aside, questions about dwarven beards, their importance, their rate of growth, etc., ad nauseam, are frequently asked questions. And they are some of our more normal questions about the fluffier side of D&D. :heh:

So, here’s the story. This particular question was slated for the fluffier “Ask Wizards” online column, but through error (or maybe love of dwarf questions by our mischievous Web gnomes) it was answered in the online Sage Advice column. It then wound its way into the FAQ.

So yes, it’s actually a FAQ, but not of the sort that usually shows up in the FAQ. Weird, eh? :eek:

Adso said:
So, here’s the story. This particular question was slated for the fluffier “Ask Wizards” online column, but through error (or maybe love of dwarf questions by our mischievous Web gnomes) it was answered in the online Sage Advice column. It then wound its way into the FAQ.

That's certainly a roundabout way to get there.

As an aside, since it seems you have at least a bit of knowledge about how the FAQ is updated, can you tell us what the best way is to actually get some of the FAQ corrected? There are a cuople of really painful answers in there that desperatly need to be changed, but a number of us over in the rules forum have utterly failed at getting responses so far.

It's great to see someone else from WotC post now and then.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Adso said:
Pit of alchemist fire aside, questions about dwarven beards, their importance, their rate of growth, etc., ad nauseam, are frequently asked questions. And they are some of our more normal questions about the fluffier side of D&D. :heh:
So does that mean that dwarven beards are by definition fluffy? I always pictured them as coarse and stiff. :p

Remathilis

Legend
actually, I find it nice to see a FAQ question that doesn't resolve around a killer build, killer DM, or Obscure Rule of the Week. Good job.

(and I think it was probably an April question...)

Adso

First Post
Deset Gled said:
That's certainly a roundabout way to get there.

As an aside, since it seems you have at least a bit of knowledge about how the FAQ is updated, can you tell us what the best way is to actually get some of the FAQ corrected? There are a cuople of really painful answers in there that desperatly need to be changed, but a number of us over in the rules forum have utterly failed at getting responses so far.

It's great to see someone else from WotC post now and then.

Not as roundabout as you may think! :heh:

As for me, I have been an EN World lurker for years. You don't have to post a lot to find these forums enlightening.

As for getting stuff changed in the FAQ, we tend not to change things without pretty serious discussion, but we will look at things that seem particularly strange, argue about them, has them out, and then fret when these discussions take time out of our pretty busy workday.

I would be grateful if you would post some links to the subjects.

Of course, keep in mind that we spend the majority of our time coming up with stuff for future product. I know the fans get frustrated when we don't seem to deal with issues in the current living game, but the fact is we are a forward thinking bunch in R&D; dreamers looking at the next book or project on the horizon. Have some patience with our speed at taking a close look at the state of the current living game…we take wide turns.

Thanks!

Arkhandus

First Post
Thornir Alekeg said:
So does that mean that dwarven beards are by definition fluffy? I always pictured them as coarse and stiff. :p

Then your dwarves have been using the wrong conditioner! :p

Theodus Brightbeard and Gerak Stoneriven never suffer a scraggly, rough beard! And neither should your dwarves! :lol:

Always exercise proper beard-care!
*This message brought to you by the Dwarven Committee for Fair Beard Treatment*

Aaron L

Hero
There was a cantrip in 1E that made beards grow. I could easily see dwarves having a spell that repairs/regrows damaged beards. Some kind of divine beard healing spell. "Restore Light Face-Fuzz" could cure 1d8 + caster level points of beard damage. Or a cantrip or orison could just regrow beards completely.

Maybe a Restoration spell will fix it? Regeneration, surely. Heck, you could have dwarven beard damage be counted as Charisma ability damage :p

And was this question REALLY in the FAQ??!! If so then it either has to be some kind of joke, or they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for FAQ questions.

Remove ads