New feat idea: Trap Sense

Kalendraf

Explorer
One of the players in my group suggested a feat that would allow rogues to have a chance to detect traps much as elves detect secret doors. I haven't seen a feat like this in any of the core books or d20 supplements. Here's what I have come up with:

Feat: Trap Sense
Pre-req's: Intelligence: 15+, Rogue level: 9+, Search ranks: 12+, Disable Device ranks: 6+, Craft (Trapmaking) ranks: 6+
Whenever a rogue w/ this feat passes within 5' of a trap, the DM rolls secretly to determine if the rogue detects the trap automatically. If the rogue's search check detects the trap, then he is automatically aware of the trap.

Is that balanced? I figure only mid to high level rogues should be able to take this to reflect experience with a variety of traps. And they need to have focused on locating those traps (search) as well as be familiar with disabling and making traps.

I suspect after taking this feat that some rogues may get a bit lazy in searching, figuring they have a good shot at auto-detecting. Players running elves seem to get that way with secret doors currently. The trick as a DM to avoid making "giveaway" rolls is to either roll often (dummy rolls), or have a list of pre-rolled numbers to consult. The other benefit from this is that they won't bother rolling every 5' move and waste precious gametime either.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Kalendraf

Explorer
Possible modification

FYI, the player and I are currently in discussion on this, and he likes everything except the requirement of 9 levels of rogue. He has a reason - he wants to take the Arcane Trickster prestige class and doesn't plan to have more than 6 levels in rogue when he does this. His suggested change is to make it available to rogues of level 6 or higher, but offset this by making the disable device require 12 ranks. I'm still considering the implications of this, but will probably allow it.

My original thinking was that only a pure rogue w/ enough experience would qualify, and multi-class characters simply lack the focus. However, I didn't consider the implication of certain prestige classes. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Geoff Watson

First Post
I suggest adding a Feat pre-requisite (Skill Focus: Search) or something like that.
Another idea is to give a penalty on the 'auto-searching' test, say -5, so he still has a reason to actually search.

You could also make it a 'Rogue Special' that they can pick at 10th, 13th, 16th or 19th level.

The Arcane Trickster is really powerful, so you don't need to feel sorry for the player if he misses out.

Geoff.

Last edited:

twjensen

First Post
Feat guidelines

If you look at the guidelines for making your own feats in the DMG, it says that specific class levels generally make poor pre-reqs. They even backpedal a bit on the two feats that are in the PHB which require a specific class (Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec.)

Better is to require things that *generally* only a rogue will have (+12 search, +12 spot, etc..). That way, PrCs that are essentially rogue replacements still qualify. If +12 search doesn't narrow it enough for you, how about skill focus (search)? That means the player needs to use 2 feats to have the automatic trap sense.

In fact, I think I'll use that IMC!

Trap Sense as written except pre-reqs:
Pre-req feat: skill focus (search)
Search: 12 ranks
Disable Device: 6 ranks
Craft (trapmaking): 9 ranks

BTW, Also dropped the int pre-req and boosted the craft (trapmaking). I don't like feeling pressured as a DM into letting players have more than 24 points on point-buy. (But Mr. DM! I want <feat> or <PrC>! And now I won't QUAAALIFYYYY!) Making the pre-reqs all things that anyone *could* get means the player has to decide if it's really worth it all on his own. (and an int 15+ still makes it easier to get all those ranks in craft (trapmaking))

Crothian

First Post
Dropping the Level requirement and adding in a Skill Focus Search is probably the best way to go. Also note, you don't need to specifically put this on the Rogues choice of special things because one of their choices is any feat.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Crothian said:
Dropping the Level requirement and adding in a Skill Focus Search is probably the best way to go. Also note, you don't need to specifically put this on the Rogues choice of special things because one of their choices is any feat.

I meant that maybe it should be a rogue special INSTEAD of being a feat. It seems like a really powerful ability, so it should be hard to get.

Geoff.

Crothian

First Post
Geoff Watson said:

I meant that maybe it should be a rogue special INSTEAD of being a feat. It seems like a really powerful ability, so it should be hard to get.

Geoff.

That makes more sense and I like that even better then being a feat.

silasfly

First Post
i probably wouldn't take it

If I were actually a rogue (in real life) then I would love this feat, as it would save me a LOT of searching time. But if were role-playing a rogue I probably wouldn't want to take it. It saves time for the rogue, but not the player. For example, if a player has his rogue take this feat, and then has the rogue walk through a room, taking 10 on Search checks the whole way, that player has basically made the feat obselete. And it didn't take any longer (real-world time) and didn't require any extra work by the DM or player. Plus, if my rogue relies on this feat for Search checks, he'll never find loot or secret doors.

But I admit it is very cool to have, flavor-wise. I would just want to get another one for secret doors.

Remove ads