new feat - scout companions

Kahuna Burger

First Post
This is a suggested feat to allow players of druids or rangers to have scouts rather than a meatsheild for their animal companion. There's a few adjustments that should probably be made, for instance, death of a companion during 'possession' should probably have consequences for the druid, possible damage to mental stats.

Feat: Scout Companions
Prereqs: Animal Companion, druid level (equivalent) 3+
Benefit: Instead of the normal animal companion, the druid (or ranger, etc) can have several smaller companions. None of the animals can be larger than size tiny, nor can they have a CR of greater than 1/4. These companions progress by the following table instead of the standard animal companion progression.

Code:
Class Level*Total HD*Dodge Bonus*Wis/dex Adj.*Bonus Tricks*Special
3rd–5th         2          +1          +1          1          Link, homing
6th–8th         4          +2          +2          2          Share Memories
9th–11th        6          +4          +3          2          Evasion
12th–14th       8          +5          +4          3          Empathic link
15th–17th       10         +7          +5          3          Sense Link
18th–20th       12         +8          +6          4          Possession
Animal Companion Basics: Use the base statistics for a creature of the companion’s kind, but make the following changes.
Class Level: The character’s druid level. The druid’s class levels stack with levels of any other classes that are entitled to an animal companion for the purpose of determining the companion’s abilities.
Total HD: The total HD worth of companions the druid can have.
Dodge Bonus: each companion gains this dodge bonus to AC.
Wis/Dex Adj.: Add this value to all companions’ Wisdom and Dexterity scores.
Bonus Tricks: The value given in this column is the total number of “bonus” tricks that the animal knows in addition to any that the druid might choose to teach it (see the Handle Animal skill). These bonus tricks don’t require any training time or Handle Animal checks, and they don’t count against the normal limit of tricks known by the animal. The druid selects these bonus tricks, and once selected, they can’t be changed.
Link (Ex): A druid can handle her animal companion as a free action, or push it as a move action, even if she doesn’t have any ranks in the Handle Animal skill. The druid gains a +4 circumstance bonus on all wild empathy checks and Handle Animal checks made regarding an animal companion.
Homing (Ex): The companions can make a wisdom check (dc 5 +1 for every mile they are separated from the druid) to return to the druid from where ever they have ranged.
Share Memories(Su): By holding the companion and making a Wild Empathy check (DC 12 +1 for each hour that has passed; cannot take 10) the Druid can experience the memory of an event which the companion wishes to alert her to. This communion takes 5 minutes and the druid is considered stunned while sharing memories. The experience is as the companion remembers it and thus it is unlikely that the druid will be able to understand any spoken conversation, though she would know if people involved were talking.
Evasion (Ex): If an animal companion is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.
Empathic Link (Su): While within one mile per druid level, the druid can, as a standard action, sense any companion’s general state and location. With a successful wild empathy check (DC 10 + 1 per mile away), she can command her companion to respond to one of its known tricks. If a companion is currently searching or guarding, it can alert the druid that it has found something by succeeding at a wisdom check (dc 10).
Sense Link (Su): While within range of the empathic link, the druid can share the sensory input of any of her companions. The druid is considered stunned during this time and can also use her Share Memories ability through the link.
Possession (Su): By succeeding at a concentration check (dc 15 +1 per mile distance), the druid can temporarily possess one of her animal companions. The druid is considered stunned during this time as regards actions taken with her real body, and the companion/druid is staggered. The animal cannot speak, but can gesture, act and cast spells (if they can be cast in animal form).

LogicsFate

First Post
I like it, I always kinda missed the large grouping from 3.0, (so many ravens)

Two quick questions
The druid loses it old companion, correct?
And do all the animals learn the same tricks?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
LogicsFate said:
I like it, I always kinda missed the large grouping from 3.0, (so many ravens)

Two quick questions
The druid loses it old companion, correct?
And do all the animals learn the same tricks?
For the first, yes, these companions replace the 3.5 mega meatsheild.

Forthe second, I'm not sure. I can certainly appriciate the simplicity of doing it that way, but if you have both flying, crawling and possibly burrowing companions, it might not make sense for them all to do the same tricks...

Bront

The man with the probe
I like it for the most part, I'm more worried that it's underpowered with the only 1/4 CR and Tiny, I'm thinking it might work just as well with up to 1/3 or 1/2 CR and small, especialy since you have to sink a feat into it, and the critters don't get more HP/HD themselves, you just get more of them.

The Possetion is a bit strangely worded. I understand the druid's normal body is stunned when he's possessing the animal, but what happens to the animal itself? It's staggered? Why?

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Bront said:
I like it for the most part, I'm more worried that it's underpowered with the only 1/4 CR and Tiny, I'm thinking it might work just as well with up to 1/3 or 1/2 CR and small, especialy since you have to sink a feat into it, and the critters don't get more HP/HD themselves, you just get more of them.

well, I specificly want them to be useless in a fight.... ;) the srd animals that match these criterion (iirc) are bats, cats, owls, ravens, monkeys, lizards, rats, toads and weasles. I'm concerned that there's nothing that can track in there, but otherwise I like the range.... not that I'm gonna argue if people want to improve it. :cool:

The Possetion is a bit strangely worded. I understand the druid's normal body is stunned when he's possessing the animal, but what happens to the animal itself? It's staggered? Why?
"A staggered character may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can she take full-round actions)." the idea was that the druid is "puppetting" the animal and does not have full natuaral control.

Bront

The man with the probe
My big worry then is that this feat actualy lowers the power level of the animal companion, since it is useless in combat, and with wildshape, the Druid can do many of the things he is sending his scouts to do as well himself by the time he can do them with the scouts.

I think you need to bump up the power level a bit. Remember, they still won't be that usefull in combat since they don't gain BAB/HD, only dex/dodge bonus.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Bront said:
My big worry then is that this feat actualy lowers the power level of the animal companion, since it is useless in combat, and with wildshape, the Druid can do many of the things he is sending his scouts to do as well himself by the time he can do them with the scouts.

I think you need to bump up the power level a bit. Remember, they still won't be that usefull in combat since they don't gain BAB/HD, only dex/dodge bonus.

well, the two advantages the scouts have is that a) there's more of them and can be constantly ranging from the party, and b) they really are just animals, and thus athigher levels will not be detected via detect magic, true sight or any similar wardings.

I really don't want them to be useful in combat. but I could move up the advancement of the communication abilities, and perhaps give the druid the ability to impress an image on the companion (i.e. watch for this man, or this species)

Edit: perhaps just allow the druid to use Speak with Animals, only with her companions, for a number of rounds per day equal to her druid level.

Remove ads