D&D 5E New Feats, Thoughts ?

Geoarrge

Explorer
Re: Spell Mastery-- Remember, ability prerequisites should always be odd, because there is basically no other reason to bump a score up to an odd number.

CapnZapp

Legend
That was written to mean you can use your stones endurance as a raction, any time you can use a reaction. :)
Don't understand what you mean.

Arcane Affinity: any particular reason for the class restriction?
(Oh, I realize your answer is "because only bards and sorcerers feel the crunch". Still, that is no reason not to offer it to wizards and warlocks as well)

Battlemage: far too strong; every full caster will want this
I suggest cutting out rerolling 1s as its own feat. Or rather, add existing UA feats such as Flames of Phlegethos to your game.
Making spell attacks of opportunity is neat, but needs to be combined with something less strong than +1 spell DC.
Basically, even a feat that gives just +1 spell DC is very desirable to spellcasters (after they've maxxed out their spellcasting ability). Not sure it's a good idea to offer it at all.

CapnZapp

Legend
In general, having high ability prerequisites is meaningless - every druid will have or reach a 17 Wisdom. The main reason for ability requirements is to restrict multiclass builds and off-kilter builds, and that job is done already at lower scores. In other words: there is a reason why existing ability score prerequisites are "low". You can keep a 17 req, but you should really have a good reason.

Beast Shape of the Summer Court
Strength of the Wild Hunt

Have you done any analysis if this is balanced? I mean, I'm the first to recognize how beast forms lose their appeal in the high single-digit levels, but a blanket green light on all monstrosities...? (Besides, isn't the Summer Court related to fey more than "magical beasts"?)

Also, how does wild shape work for the non-druid feat taker? At first blush, it seems the feat gives away the main reason you become a (Moon) Druid, so I really want to know what you mean here, and why I can't just be a straight Wizard with better wildshaping abilities than the regular (Moon) Druid?

CapnZapp

Legend
Tireless: a good thematic feat (while weak mechanically). Could probably use a power-up.
And get rid of the feat chain :) No such thing in 5e - nothing's broken by offering this feat to everyone.

Mage Slayer: any particular reason for the reprint? I mean, I don't see any differences to the PHB version?

Focus Mastery: a fine feat, though the second benefit probably needs sharpening up. I guess you mean that the first time you spend a charge in a day, no charge is actually spent? I'd avoid the "first charge" language, since that's potentially confusing.

Divine Champion: probably a good idea to mention "a second domain of your God's" so powergamers don't just cherrypick their domains. Taking a Hate domain for the goddess Sune is probably not what you intended here... ;) (That they now need to cherrypick their god is another matter!)

schnee

First Post
The spellcasting ones are way, way too powerful.

Arcane Affinity - Five extra spells, at any spell level, in spells known? The equivalent existing feat is Magic Adept, where when you take your own class, you get two cantrips and one first-level spell. This is D&D 3.0 level overkill.

Battlemage - Look at Elemental Adept. Treat any 1 as a 2, for one type of damage. On a Fireball, that adds 2, maybe 3 extra damage. This spell would turn any 1 into extra 3.5, so that's more than double the benefit, and it's on all damage spells. You want to stack a DC increase - which is literally nowhere else - and ALSO steal something from War Caster? This is way, way too much.

You need to put these on a list with existing feats, and think 'oh, man, I'm not sure which one I want' or else they're not balanced. If those were added to a game, no spellcaster in their right mind would pick up anything other than a) Resilient Con and b) these.

SmokingSkull

First Post
[MENTION=6791461]Amatiel[/MENTION] Alright, might want to reword that then. Something like:

*You can use your Stone's Endurance ability as a reaction even if a situation would deny you your reaction.

This way things like surprise and even abilities of monsters/spells etc. that would deny a reaction do not deny you your reaction for using that racial ability.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Just a piece of general advice, and something pretty much everyone forgets when coming up with their own feats. Feats are designed to have at least one feature that is usable in a general sense. I.e., if you look at feats like crossbow mastery and GWF, they each have a feature that can be used outside of crossbows and heavy weapons. I can't recall if it was Mearls or Crawford, but they said this was intentional, and core to how feats should be designed.

Satyrn

First Post
The metamagic feat. It just lets you select one of those options when you get to select a new metamagic to learn. Am I reading that right? If so, it seems so very weak - and provides no benefit when you take it.

And if so, I'd suggest just adding those in as additional options alongside those in the book, with no need for the feat.

But then, write a Metamagic Adept feat that works like the battlemastery feat Martial Adept. Have this feat grant a couple sorcery points and a couple metamagic options chosen from the sorcerer's metamagic options.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Have you done any analysis if this is balanced? I mean, I'm the first to recognize how beast forms lose their appeal in the high single-digit levels, but a blanket green light on all monstrosities...? (Besides, isn't the Summer Court related to fey more than "magical beasts"?)

Coincidentally I have done analysis of this for a plot arc in a campaign I ran. With a few exceptions (mostly humanoids that would be capable of spellcasting) it's fine. As for fey, all they fey are humanoid, and even non-humanoid creatures you'd think would be fey are monstrous.

Amatiel

Explorer
Tinkered with the feats, apprciate your input, made some changes, and added a couple. As for the druid, I origianlly wanted them to be able to add creatures like displacer beast and the like to their repitiore for some extra oompf. They get elemental at 10th, so i figured a similar ability at that level seemed reasonable. As magical beast is no longer a criteria, I thought monstrosity was the closest fit, but yes, I agree, it adds a lot of creature types I hadn't really considered. Needs some work :( LOL

Also, hadn't found the UA for racial Feats - thanks for the heads-up. Some nice stuff there. Good to see WotC adding some more flavour.

Remove ads