new flying constructs - Hawksaw and Skullwing

Devon

First Post
Hi, folks,

Here are a couple of flying constructs I made. Similar power level, but different roles. Hope you like them. Please let me know if you see any possible problems or errors.

- Devon

Hawksaw (Small Construct)
Hit Dice: 3d10 (16 hp)
Initiative: +2 Dex
Speed: 10 ft., fly 40 ft (good)
AC: 18 (+1 size, +2 Dex, +5 natural)
Attacks: saw +3 melee, tail +1 melee touch
Damage: saw 1d6, tail 1d6 electricity + shock
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/ 5 ft
Special attacks: tear, shock, rush
Special Qualities: construct
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +3, Will +2
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 15, Con --, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Climate/Terrain: any land or underground
Organization: solitary or gang (4 - 11)
Challenge Rating: 2
Treasure: none
Alignment: always neutral
Advancement: 4 - 6 HD (Small), 7 - 12 HD (Medium)

Hawksaws are small, flying constructs with buzz saws designed to incapacitate or eliminate intruders.

Hawksaws have a round, metal shell, the center of which is dominated by a vertical rotating saw blade, on either side of which is an eye and a mechanical wing. A long, prehensile tail dangles from behind, terminating in a two-pronged prod, whipping around, crackling with electricity. On the ground, the wings can fold to become rudimentary legs. The hawksaw can also cling bat-like to a wall or ceiling.

Combat:
A hawksaw flies in to attack directly, cutting with its saw blade and whipping with its tail until the victim is paralyzed or dead.

Shock (Ex): A hawksaw's tail is charged with electricity, and on a successful melee touch attack, the victim must also make a Fortitude save (DC 11) or be paralyzed for 1d4 rounds.

Tear (Ex): If a hawksaw's tail and saw both successfully strike a victim, then the saw is able to tear into the opponent, doing an additional 2d6 damage.

Rush (Ex): A grounded hawksaw can use its saw to tear across the ground at a speed of 40 ft., but it takes 1d2-1 damage every round it uses this ability.

Construction:
The hawksaw costs 16,000 gp to create, which includes 300gp for the body. A successful Craft (armorsmithing or weaponsmithing) check (DC 14) is required. The creator must be 16th level and able to cast arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 320 XP from the creator and requires shocking grasp, geas/quest, limited wish, and polymorph any object.

Skullwing (Small Construct)
Hit Dice: 3d10 (16 hp)
Initiative: +1 Dex
Speed: 10 ft., fly 30 ft (average)
AC: 15 (+1 size, +1 Dex, +3 natural)
Attacks: gore +2 melee, 2 claws +0 melee; or bite +2 melee, gore +0 melee
Damage: gore 1d6 + chill, claw 1d3, bite 1d6 + blood drain
Face/Reach: 5 ft by 5 ft/ 5 ft
Special attacks: blood drain, chill, immunities
Special Qualities: construct
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 13, Con --, Int 4, Wis 10, Cha 12
Climate/Terrain: any land or underground
Organization: solitary or gang (4 - 11)
Challenge Rating: 3
Treasure: none
Alignment: always neutral
Advancement: 4 - 6 HD (Small), 7 - 12 HD (Medium)

The Skullwing is a flying skeletal construct which drains blood, a disturbing amalgam of animal skulls.

The construct is made from a large, feline hip bone topped with the skull and neck of a large vulture or other bird of prey. From the hip sockets emerge a pair of leathery bat wings, and the construct's feet are a pair of smaller skulls with prominent canines, attached to the hip with interlocking vertebrae.

Combat:
The Skullwing dives into its opponents with its sharpened beak. When it cannot dive, it will attack with its beak and claws. To bring down difficult opponents, it will bring its claws together for a blood-draining bite, followed up with a gore attack from the beak.

Blood drain (Ex): When the horrible claws of the skullwing come together for a bite, it can drain blood. If the skullwing successfully strikes with its bite, the victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 11) or lose 1d3 temporary Con.

Chill (Su): The beak of the skullwing is infused with negative energy. On a successful melee attack, the beak does an additional 1d4 points of cold damage, and the victim must make a Fortitude save (DC 11) or lose 1d3 Dex from the chilling cold.

Immunities (Ex): Like skeletons, skullwings have cold immunity. Because they lack flesh or internal organs, they take only half damage from piercing or slashing weapons.

Construction:
The skullwing costs 16,000 gp to create, which includes 100 gp for the construction of the body. Assembling the body requires a successful Craft (armorsmithing or weaponsmithing) check (DC 13). The creator must be 14th level and able to cast arcane spells. Completing the ritual drains 320 XP from the creator and requires, geas/quest, limited wish, polymorph any object, and chill touch.

Devon

First Post
I was wondering if I should add a Hamstring attack to the Hawksaw's repertoire. Have it swoop down and clip a tendon or two, like in Song and Silence?

- Devon

Gish Makai

First Post
Thats just nasty. One query though: How does a construct fly? I'm not saying they can't but because of the weight involved.

Devon, if you can come up with a logical solution.....we may have opened up a whole new ball of wax here :)

Devon

First Post
how can constructs fly...

How does a construct fly?

Well, there's already precedent to support the Skullwing: the bonebat (Monsters of Faerun) is an undead bat, usually a familiar for necromancers. It flies, even without membraneous wings.

As far as the hawksaw, I was thinking of Modrons when I built it, and they can fly, despite being heavier and less aerodynamic. I was picturing a metallic modron sail wing, or perhaps something with metallic feathers.

Plus, there was the mechanical owl in "Clash of the Titans" (although that was undoubtedly a magical construct).

In addition, one oher thing which qualifies as a 'construct' is the Homunculus, which definitely can fly.

When it comes down to it, it's magic! If we need to, we can make the fly spell a requirement for creation. Throw in the bladder of a beholder or something.

So, to conclude, some logical solutions:
- 'fly' spell as a binding spell
- exotic animal parts in creation ritual (beholder's bladder, dragon wingbone, etc.)
- alchemical gases akin to helium

If we're worried about Challenge Rating we can easily factor the power of flight into the CR equation (which wouldn't make a dent in these two--they are in the lower rung of their CR).

- Devon

Gish Makai

First Post
OK...

I noticed that the Homunculus has an intelligence as a construct. Perhaps this is why it "knows" how to fly.

As for the rest Devon, as you stated they were other types other than constructs.

So I wonder, if you give the construct some sort of intelligence, could you give it more tasks than the simple construct gets?

Hmmm....worth looking into.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
hmmmm

*reads stats*

hmmmmmmm

I like :)

*swipe* (if you don't mind :p)

do you have a website for constructs such as these? they are PURRFECT for one of the kingdoms in my setting :)

Devon

First Post
do you have a website for constructs such as these?

I am adding a gaming section to my website, and I plan to post my creatures there, which would include the constructs. It'll take a short while (perhaps a week) before I've finished.

as you stated they were other types other than constructs

Yes, the price I pay for not bringing my game books to work with me. :)

I noticed that the Homunculus has an intelligence as a construct. Perhaps this is why it "knows" how to fly.

Perhaps. Constructs aren't, as I understand it, limited to a certain Int score. Is there a set of rules governing how many instructions they can handle?

I originally made my Chain Golem w/o any Int whatsoever, yet it was designed to be fast and able to deal with changing conditions.

if you give the construct some sort of intelligence, could you give it more tasks than the simple construct gets?

I would absolutely agree.

Thank you for your feedback so far.

- Devon

Gish Makai

First Post
Hey NP.

I also noted that the Shield Guardian has NO Int score as well. Perhaps we should just wait for that Constructs book to come out.

Last edited:

Devon

First Post
I finally got Encyclopedia Arcane: Constructs

I received a copy of "Constructs" yesterday, and it's been quite a nice sourcebook.

There is an option for Extra Limbs which includes wings, although anything other than a Simulacrum (ex: homunculus) with flight gets Poor maneuverability, so I am going to have to figure out an enhanced version of flight for those quicker, bird-like automatons.

Also, giving extra intelligence to constructs isn't really addressed. You can give one Speech, which gives it +3 to Int, or an 8 Int, whichever is higher, but making more intelligent golems and automata isn't addressed. Only simulacra, which are based upon actual creatures, seem to have the capacity for above-average intelligence.

The whole thing is set up with a base Cost Rating, which is increased as you add more features. You get more base abilities depending on which type you go for: Golem (few abilities, very tough), Automata (weaker than golems, but capable of possessing more abilities), and Simulacra (which is more like a template applied to a base creature, like Erica's Flesh Golem template), adding Cost Rating.

When you're done adding abilities, you multiply to get the body cost, total cost, and xp cost.

There's a system for determining the DC for creating each type. They have a base set of HD-related stats for various golem types: bone, wood, gold, adamantium, etc., as well as for automata. Simulacra, as before, are treated as templates.

Overall, it looks like a nice system, but I still need to playtest it. I'll be changing the creation requirements on a couple of my golems, but some abilities (like the Chain Golem's Flurry ability) will need to be spliced into their system for balance purposes.

I may have to add Extra Intelligence and Quick Flight as additional abilities, with their own Construction costs and requirements. If anyone who has the Constructs book is interested, I can post them, or we can perhyaps workshop these abilities.

- Devon

Remove ads