New Ghostbusters Afterlife trailer

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
At least they also give an "Audience Score." Not that it's any more accurate, as trolls can seriously screw over that rating, but it tends to indicate something if the two ratings are wildly dissimilar.
Its true, you can get good reads on where a film stands by the cross examination. Low critic score but high audience usually indicates a poorly executed film that has a lot of emotional investment by a dedicated fan base. Sometimes, that is appealing if I'm one of those fans. Either way, its good to know what type of experience I'm in for.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
Its true, you can get good reads on where a film stands by the cross examination. Low critic score but high audience usually indicates a poorly executed film that has a lot of emotional investment by a dedicated fan base. Sometimes, that is appealing if I'm one of those fans. Either way, its good to know what type of experience I'm in for.

Indeed, I actually find the interaction of the two useful, as I can divide the movies into quadrants. (Ninths if you count the middle of the range.) Artsy message movie? Cheesy popcorn fun? Overall well-done audience-pleaser? Just a bad movie? More info than just 'good and bad'.

GreyLord

Legend
I normally trust audience scores FAR more than Critic scores.

A prime example is when the Mummy came out (decades ago). Critics razed it, gave it lower scores. Audiences LOVED it.

I enjoyed it tremendously...wondered what was wrong with the Critics.

Similar thoughts have popped up sometimes today, it seems the Critics are very, very, wrong in many instances. It amazes me how they can all agree on some movies where the audience absolutely does not agree with them (Especially when critics say something is terrible, but audiences absolutely love it). It just tells me that Critics tend to have terrible tastes compared to the general public...

:eek:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I treat critics and reviews as just another form of entertainment. They are just some rando's opinion, after all, and they usually don't match my own. They're fun to read (or watch; I follow a couple of reviewers on YouTube).

I'm dubious about audience ratings, though. For the most part they are pretty reliable, and I trust them more than I trust critics to match my own preferences and tastes. BUUUUUT. I've also seen the "mob rule" mentality really take over on certain movies and websites, and contaminate the audience rating pool. The more controversial the movie, the worse it seems to get (take the previous Ghostbusters move, for example.) So if a movie has thousands upon thousands of votes, all of them on opposing ends of the spectrum and within a week of each other...yeah, probably not going to put much stock in those audience ratings.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Some folks are fine with a simple thumbs up or down. The context of the criticism matters to critics and aficionados more. Different strokes'...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I normally trust audience scores FAR more than Critic scores.

A prime example is when the Mummy came out (decades ago). Critics razed it, gave it lower scores. Audiences LOVED it.

I enjoyed it tremendously...wondered what was wrong with the Critics.

Similar thoughts have popped up sometimes today, it seems the Critics are very, very, wrong in many instances. It amazes me how they can all agree on some movies where the audience absolutely does not agree with them (Especially when critics say something is terrible, but audiences absolutely love it). It just tells me that Critics tend to have terrible tastes compared to the general public...

:eek:
I find it weird the way your refer to “Critics” with a capital C like they’re some kind of monolithic entity. I’ve very rarely seen a film where every critic agreed. Critics are like any other columnist — you find the ones you like, whose interests and tastes seem aligned with yours. Or not. But they aren’t some weird Borg collective with a single thoughtmind.

Argyle King

Legend
I find it weird the way your refer to “Critics” with a capital C like they’re some kind of monolithic entity. I’ve very rarely seen a film where every critic agreed. Critics are like any other columnist — you find the ones you like, whose interests and tastes seem aligned with yours. Or not. But they aren’t some weird Borg collective with a single thoughtmind.

I believe that to be true.

However, here in the US, there are times when it appears to be true [that there is a hivemind] whenever certain actors and/or certain opinions on social/political issues are involved.

Even when it's an issue upon which I agree with the critics, it's difficult to not see bias when literally every critic review rates something "100%," yet the audience score sits at "26%."

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
I believe that to be true.

However, here in the US, there are times when it appears to be true [that there is a hivemind] whenever certain actors and/or certain opinions on social/political issues are involved.

Even when it's an issue upon which I agree with the critics, it's difficult to not see bias when literally every critic review rates something "100%," yet the audience score sits at "26%."

A lot of the politically charged things get review-bombed (reviews submitted by people who haven't seen the thing in question but will submit a review for political reasons).

Ryujin

Legend
I found a different way of handling it. If critics seem to be universally panning a movie, I put it on my "must watch" list. I'm rarely disappointed.

Remove ads