New GM with new players. Best adventure?

DragonMan

First Post
T1 - The Village of Hommlet - a shorter adventure, but a really good town setting to use as a campaign base.

Oh, I loved the Village of Hommlet, though I DM it using version 1. After my players ran through the written material as is. I repopulated it with new monsters, and had new critters in the nearby forest.

Sylko

First Post
Thank you all for your thoughtful and thorough responses! I've downloaded so many modules and am reading them on my train commute. This also makes me want to join another group again! I originally went on the internet in 1996 to look for groups to play with and I'm fighting the urge to spend my workday on this site! I'm happy my kids want to play (3 girls and annoy) and am hoping to start them off enough to continue to play with other groups.

Vaprak001

First Post
Ha, I haven't been back to this forum for months (been a bit consumed by work), but I loved reading this post! I'm in almost exactly the same situation, 4 kids between the ages of 2.5 and 7, of which the elder three girls are fascinated with daddies books filled with dragons, swords and elves! As I started aged 7 (back in 1979) I thought I'd give them a try to see how they liked it. I have all editions except 4E, which felt like a huge betrayal to me, yet deliberated for a good 2 minutes as which to use. The answer was all of them! They're too young to really understand the mechanics fully so I use the 1st edition to hit tables as the basis but the rest is largely fudged. AC to them is qualitative, leather is "better than nothing", plate is "really hard to hit". Weapons are "huge" swords, "nimble like light-sabres", "fists like iron" etc. One daughter wanted to be a Magic-User and Cleric but couldn't understand why she had to divide her HP's - viola quick 3E adaptation fixed the issue. The result is they are loving the story-based adventure I'm running and not getting bogged down with what I'm doing behind the screen.

As for which module/ adventure to use - it had to be the original B2 Keep on the Borderlands! Very easy to adapt from basic rules to my home-blend, with simple tasks and concepts for their age. For alignment, one of my daughters has just written "goodies" - that's fine for our game. Perhaps over the coming years they'll become rules lawyers and I'll be found out, but by then I hope they'll love the game and my job will be done!

If your kids are slightly older I think A1-4 are fun, with some moral issues to wrestle with regarding slavery. As mentioned I3-5 are great because the Egyptian theme is something they can probably relate a bit to through school. T1-4, or the GDQ series are a bit heavy on symbolism and played properly should get really 'evil' so I'd avoid these unless your kids are a lot older and mature.

Anyway, good luck, I hope it goes well and keep us updated!

Cheers,
Vaprak

Dorian_Grey

First Post
Yeah 2nd Edition is exciting. I recently got back into gaming over the past year and a half - 5th edition online game. Was getting a bit bored as were other players so I offered to DM a 2nd Edition module I've been sitting on for years. This past weekend? 7 players showed up. More then EVER showed up for a 5e game. It was awesome. And everyone was gung ho and enthusiastic. We had so much back and forth going on it was great.

Almost had a TPK but that's ALSO what makes 2nd Edition so fun. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share because I had a blast. Best weekend in a long time!

Remove ads