New GSL Announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
By "mutual exclusivity" I mean, different versions of the same product cannot occur at the same time.

So, basically, is this statement correct?

If you have a current 3e product released with the old license, and you wish to upgrade it to 4e, you can no longer sell the 3e version of the product, correct?

lurkinglidda

First Post
Alzrius said:
So in other words, if I print "The Book of New Rules" under the OGL, I can't also print "The Book of New Rules" under the GSL, correct?
Correct. One or the Other.

<snip> I think it would have been easier - and more publisher-friendly - to just keep it to not having the GSL and OGL both be present at the same time in the same book.
I think it's pretty publisher-friendly that we have a GSL period! :cool:

Will there be some sort of clause to allow publishers to print 4E versions of existing 3.5 books before the GSL is released?
No one can print 4E books before the GSL is released.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
lurkinglidda said:
No one can print 4E books before the GSL is released.

I phrased that badly (and went back and edited it for that reason just as you responded. D'oh!).

I mean, if an OGL book is/was released before the GSL finally does come out, will it still be held to the same rule of not being allowed to have a GSL version?

lurkinglidda

First Post
JohnRTroy said:
So, basically, is this statement correct?

If you have a current 3e product released with the old license, and you wish to upgrade it to 4e, you can no longer sell the 3e version of the product, correct?
In my best impression of Phil Hartman doing an impression of Ed McMahon:

You, sir, are correct.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
lurkinglidda said:

You, sir, are correct.

Does this apply to .pdfs?

In other words, if Green Ronin were to do a print product called "Death in Freeport" for 4E, could they no longer sell the 3.0 version in .pdf?

Lizard

Explorer
lurkinglidda said:

You, sir, are correct.

Since the OGL and the GSL are separate, how does that work?

Is there language in the GSL which says, "If you create a new product based on an older work released under the OGL, you may no longer sell the older product as a condition of accepting the GSL"?

That's pretty...far reaching.

It's aking to a EULA which reads "If you use Microsoft Word 2007 to edit a document written in Open Office 2.0, you may no longer edit that document with Open Office."

It might be legal -- I believe you have the right to offer someone any terms you want, and they can accept or reject them as they see fit -- but it's a bit extreme.

How does that work with products never released in older versions? Let's say I have a world I'd like to adapt for both Pathfinder and 4e. Are you saying, basically, "Pick one -- if you release a 3x product, you CANNOT release (as a seperate product) a 4e version"? Or am I minsunderstanding you.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I honest think it applies to PDFs, why wouldn't it?! Both are products for sale. I even suspect it will apply to freebies.

In other words, no dual-stat systems--either commit to 4e or stick with 3e, no "on the fence". Say for instance if Monte Cook wanted to go to 4e, all 3e stuff he converts must be taken off the market.

Lizard

Explorer
JohnRTroy said:
I honest think it applies to PDFs, why wouldn't it?! Both are products for sale. I even suspect it will apply to freebies.

In other words, no dual-stat systems--either commit to 4e or stick with 3e, no "on the fence". Say for instance if Monte Cook wanted to go to 4e, all 3e stuff he converts must be taken off the market.

Define "Converts".

"Arcana Even More Evolved"
"Ptolus: The Next Generation"

What is a "conversion" and what is a "setting update" or "new book"?

Lidda says they've found all the edge cases. I guess we'll know when we see the license text. I know the public debate on comment on the original OGL/STL helped make them a lot stronger and more comprehensive. I have a bad feeling the way the GSL will handle edge cases is "If, in the sole discretion of WOTC, a product is in violation, it is."

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
JohnRTroy said:
Say for instance if Monte Cook wanted to go to 4e, all 3e stuff he converts must be taken off the market.

Bear in mind that, from what Linae has said so far, this is only true for direct conversions of books. Monte could write a product called The Book of Expanded Might and have it contain large sections of 3.5 material converted to 4E. It just can't be any of his previous books with only a mechanical update.

At least, that's how it seems from the statements we've had thus far.

Lizard said:
Lidda says they've found all the edge cases. I guess we'll know when we see the license text. I know the public debate on comment on the original OGL/STL helped make them a lot stronger and more comprehensive. I have a bad feeling the way the GSL will handle edge cases is "If, in the sole discretion of WOTC, a product is in violation, it is."

Now that's a scary thought!

At least that would only apply to GSL products, leaving the OGL a safe harbor. But yeah, if WotC has sole discretionary powers over what does and does not count as an "updated product" (or similar language) then things could get very ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases