D&D 5E New Homebrew Monsters - Enforcers

dave2008

Legend
hehe yeah this is the difficulty of translating a protaganist from a full story into a monster:)

For the Fate Shaper, effectively think of it as the old multi-verse idea. The Fate Shaper has an infinite well of them to draw from, so he can easily just switch to one where he zigged instead of zagged, and didn't take all that nasty damage from before. In effect, constantly replacing himself with another version of himself.

That said, even in my story there is a limit to how often he can do this (in the story he is actually drawing from his own soul...and so like any muscle it gets tired if you use it too often). So perhaps I could just put a simple 2/rest cap on it, to ensure it never goes completely nuts.
OK, that helps. From your description, it seems like something that should happen automatically and possibly be a trait and not an action. This makes it more powerful, but also easier to define CR wise. Maybe:

Reform Shelf (2/Rest). If the Fate Shaper is reduced to 0 hit points, it doesn’t die or fall unconscious. Instead it pulls a new body from an alternate reality (no action), all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, and it regains 200 hit points,

I realize this probably blows your CR budget, but it it seems to fit what you describe better. This guys are so unique I would suggest making them what you want and just seeing where the CR chips fall. You can of course adjust that based on how many HP it has and how many it recovers with Reform Self.

However, please note that both your and my version of Reform Self could fall victim to Chill Touch. If you want to prevent that, perhaps cantrip immunity, which I have used before.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Ack! I dropped my attack bonus at the last moment to allow me to add more damage, and now I remember why I had the attack in the first place, a +14 = +10 str + 4 proficiency. So I can go back, though that drops my damage back I'll have to look.
FYI, CR 13 is a +5 proficiency, so that should be +15 to hit and +10 to damage.

What about:

Physical Perfection. The World Soul automatically passes all strength, dexterity, and constitution saving throws. If there is an effect when these saves are passed, the World Soul does not suffer the effect. World Souls do not need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe. Additionally, it adds it Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution modifiers to its melee attack damage on a hit (included in the attack).

World’s Strength. The World Soul has advantage on all Strength (Athletic) and Dexterity (Acrobatics) checks and it can long jump up to 100 ft when using the Dash action. Additionally, unless the World Soul wishes too, it cannot be pushed or pulled.

Also, forced movement isn't a condition, that is why I included in world's strength. I limited it to pushes and pulls, as those are the only forced movements in 5e. However, if you wanted that ability to apply to teleports and banishment, it wouldn't. Not sure if that was something you wanted or not and of course a DM might not interpret those as forced movement. You could possibly also require the World Soul to be in contact with the ground, if that fits the flavor of your story.

Stalker0

Legend
Also, forced movement isn't a condition, that is why I included in world's strength. I limited it to pushes and pulls, as those are the only forced movements in 5e. However, if you wanted that ability to apply to teleports and banishment, it wouldn't. Not sure if that was something you wanted or not and of course a DM might not interpret those as forced movement. You could possibly also require the World Soul to be in contact with the ground, if that fits the flavor of your story.
Good point, I like the idea of it preventing forced teleports and banishments, I will add that in.

Reform Shelf (2/Rest). If the Fate Shaper is reduced to 0 hit points, it doesn’t die or fall unconscious. Instead it pulls a new body from an alternate reality (no action), all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, and it regains 200 hit points,

However, please note that both your and my version of Reform Self could fall victim to Chill Touch. If you want to prevent that, perhaps cantrip immunity, which I have used before.

Hmm, I think we are getting closer, though I do want action denial to play a part in the success of taking him down. So perhaps I make it a reaction...that way if a party successful denies reactions to the character they can cut through the ability.

By my strict reading, since we are saying "all effects it is suffering from end for it", than that would include chill touch as well. However if I DM wants to rule that chill touch works as a tactic I can get behind that, as the goal is for players to fight a little differently, and if a player gets rewarded for using a cantrip instead of a big attack to stop a bad guy that still does the job.

Stalker0

Legend
Alright made my updates!

1) Divine Mind: I went with most of the suggestions except for removing the Spell names and replace with language. Normally I would be all about that but the spell language is actually VERY LONG, and it would be quite a mouthful to put that in the stat block. Since there are two spells for the guy its the one enforcer that I expect the DM to look up some spells. Its not ideal, but neither is turing the stat block into a two pager.

2) World Soul: So I took a bit of the cap off this guy. In my story he is the strongest of the enforcers, so no reason not to bump up the CR (he is now offensive CR 19). I decided to push harder on the barbarian motif. For World's Strength, I gave him the 18th level barbarian ability indomitable might (so now his athletics checks at a 30). Instead of going for a minimum, I just made them a flat 30. This still gives him the feel of "absolute strength", but the lower max means there is still a chance a crazy strong barbarian PC might make it out of the grapple. At CR 19 that feels appropriate within flavor.

I also used your idea of adding con into to AC and damage, so I recalculated his AC and attacks. So overall he got a solid CR bump but I think it better captures the essence.

3) Fate Shaper: Ok so I took a page out of your mythic handbook, and went with that recovery model. However instead of getting stronger, he gets weaker by the loss of legendary actions. This represents the book flavor I wanted to keep (he gets tired from the use of that ability), and it is much easier to CR. It allows is a good way to showcase to the party that they are winning...otherwise it could be very discouraging to see the monster just "get back up". But once they see that's legendary actions have dropped....they know that they are winning. It also allows for the Divine Mind to recharge that ability, which is also something that the two could do in the story....which made them a particularly deadly combination.

I did add a +2 CR for battlemind on this one, since he gets a lot more out of a new legendary action than most enforcers do. I think this also properly reflects that a Fate Shaper is particularly dangerous when other enforcers are around to take advantage of the stuns.

4) I did a gender neutral pass on the text as well.

dave2008

Legend
Alright made my updates!

1) Divine Mind: I went with most of the suggestions except for removing the Spell names and replace with language. Normally I would be all about that but the spell language is actually VERY LONG, and it would be quite a mouthful to put that in the stat block. Since there are two spells for the guy its the one enforcer that I expect the DM to look up some spells. Its not ideal, but neither is turing the stat block into a two pager.

2) World Soul: So I took a bit of the cap off this guy. In my story he is the strongest of the enforcers, so no reason not to bump up the CR (he is now offensive CR 19). I decided to push harder on the barbarian motif. For World's Strength, I gave him the 18th level barbarian ability indomitable might (so now his athletics checks at a 30). Instead of going for a minimum, I just made them a flat 30. This still gives him the feel of "absolute strength", but the lower max means there is still a chance a crazy strong barbarian PC might make it out of the grapple. At CR 19 that feels appropriate within flavor.

I also used your idea of adding con into to AC and damage, so I recalculated his AC and attacks. So overall he got a solid CR bump but I think it better captures the essence.

3) Fate Shaper: Ok so I took a page out of your mythic handbook, and went with that recovery model. However instead of getting stronger, he gets weaker by the loss of legendary actions. This represents the book flavor I wanted to keep (he gets tired from the use of that ability), and it is much easier to CR. It allows is a good way to showcase to the party that they are winning...otherwise it could be very discouraging to see the monster just "get back up". But once they see that's legendary actions have dropped....they know that they are winning. It also allows for the Divine Mind to recharge that ability, which is also something that the two could do in the story....which made them a particularly deadly combination.

I did add a +2 CR for battlemind on this one, since he gets a lot more out of a new legendary action than most enforcers do. I think this also properly reflects that a Fate Shaper is particularly dangerous when other enforcers are around to take advantage of the stuns.

4) I did a gender neutral pass on the text as well.
Looks good!

dave2008

Legend
Great. So to go in your gallery, do I need to post them anywhere or change the format?
No, I will just link to them in the ToC. However, if you could post each in its own post in this thread without a spoiler that would be great. It makes it easier for people who are clicking on the links. Something like this maybe:

Divine Mind: For this enforcer, the gods bound a mortal mind to the heavens itself, unlocking divine power and the strength of absolute knowledge. Divine Minds are warriors guided by an intellect so great that they can practically see the future as well as the as the True form of their enemies. Their minds can shape the power of the divine into actual weapons and armor, or use it to heal wounds or harm enemies. A Divine Mind is constantly shifting on the battleground, one minute striking with a large blade, the next firing long range arrows...and then shifting into defensive shields to resist attack. But if attacks fail, the Divine Mind can call upon its greatest and most terrifying weapon, the ability to reshape the mind itself.

Divine Mind
Medium humanoid (enforcer)

Armor Class 22 (Plate +1, Shield +1)
Hit Points 180
Speed 30 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
15 (+2)15 (+2)15 (+2)30 (+10)20 (+5)20 (+5)

Skills: *See Intelligent Insight
Saving Throws: *See Mental Perfection
Senses Truesight 100 ft., passive perception 19
Challenge 13 (Offensive

Battlemind. For every additional Enforcer in the encounter, the Divine Mind gains a legendary action, and its CR increases by 1.

Mental Perfection. The Divine Mind automatically passes all intelligence, wisdom, and charisma saving throws. If there is an effect when those saves are passed, the Divine Mind does not suffer the effect.

Open Mind. The Divine Mind automatically sees the thoughts of any creature within 100 ft, as if they failed a saving throw against the Detect Thoughts spell. Effects that block the spell block this effect.

Intelligent Insight. The Divine Mind has advantage on all attacks and has a critical range of 18-20. The Divine Mind has advantage and a +4 bonus on all ability checks and possesses a perfect memory.

Arsenal of Light. The Divine Mind can summon any armor, shield, or weapon, and can freely switch between them at any time (statblock provides some standard options, and assumes the best armor and shield). Such weapons are magical, deal radiant damage, and ignore the Damage Threshold of objects and creatures. The equipment disappears if it leaves the Divine Mind’s hand.

ACTIONS
Multiattack.
The Divine Mind makes 2 attacks, any combination of Greatsword, Halberd, or Longbow.

Greatsword, Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 7) radiant damage. The Divine Mind may take a -5 to the attack roll and add +10 damage.

Halberd. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d10 + 7) radiant damage.

Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range: 600., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) radiant damage. This attack ignores half and 3/4 cover.

REACTIONS
Double Shield Defense
: When an attack is made, but before the result is known, the Divine Mind can summon two large tower shields, granting +5 to AC to themself and any adjacent ally. This bonus lasts until the Divine Mind takes another Action or Legendary Action.

Halberd Defense: Whenever a creature moves within 10 ft of the Divine Mind, the Divine Mind may make a Halberd attack.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The enforcer can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The enforcer regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Angelic Attack: The Divine Mind may make a Greatsword, Halberd, or Longsword attack
Pillar of Divinity (Costs 2 Actions): The Divine Mind summons a pillar of light with a 5 foot radius anywhere within 60 feet. Any ally (including the Divine Mind) that enters the pillar during their turn or starts their turn in the pillar heals 14 (4d6) damage and gains the effect of a Greater Restoration.

Any enemy instead takes 14 (4d6) radiant damage, and an enemy undead of CR 3 or lower must make a DC 18 wisdom saving throw or be destroyed. The pillar lasts until the ability is used again or the end of the Divine Mind's next turn.
Divine Memory (Costs 3 Actions): The Divine Mind casts Modify Memory (9th level, DC 18)

PS It would be nice if the enforcer lore was its own post too.

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Divine Mind: For this enforcer, the gods bound a mortal mind to the heavens itself, unlocking divine power and the strength of absolute knowledge. Divine Minds are warriors guided by an intellect so great that they can practically see the future as well as the as the True form of their enemies. Their minds can shape the power of the divine into actual weapons and armor, or use it to heal wounds or harm enemies. A Divine Mind is constantly shifting on the battleground, one minute striking with a large blade, the next firing long range arrows...and then shifting into defensive shields to resist attack. But if attacks fail, the Divine Mind can call upon its greatest and most terrifying weapon, the ability to reshape the mind itself.

Divine Mind
Medium Humanoid (Enforcer)

Armor Class 22 (Plate +1, Shield +1)
Hit Points 180
Speed 30 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
15 (+2)15 (+2)15 (+2)30 (+10)20 (+5)20 (+5)
Skills: *See Intelligent Insight
Saving Throws: *See Mental Perfection
Senses Truesight 100 ft., passive perception 19
Challenge 13 (Offensive CR 14, Defense CR 12)

Battlemind: For every additional Enforcer in the encounter, the Divine Mind gains a legendary action, and its CR increases by 1.

Mental Perfection: The Divine Mind automatically passes all intelligence, wisdom, and charisma saving throws. If there is an effect when those saves are passed, the Divine Mind does not suffer the effect.

Open Mind: The Divine Mind automatically sees the thoughts of any creature within 100 ft, as if they failed a saving throw against the Detect Thoughts spell. Effects that block the spell block this effect.

Intelligent Insight: The Divine Mind has advantage on all attacks and has a critical range of 18-20. The Divine Mind has advantage and a +4 bonus on all ability checks and possesses a perfect memory.

Arsenal of Light: The Divine Mind can summon any armor, shield, or weapon, and can freely switch between them at any time (statblock provides some standard options, and assumes the best armor and shield). Such weapons are magical, deal radiant damage, and ignore the Damage Threshold of objects and creatures. The equipment disappears if it leaves the Divine Mind’s hand.

ACTIONS

Multiattack
: The Divine Mind makes 2 attacks, any combination of Greatsword, Halberd, or Longbow.

Great Sword: Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (2d6 + 7) radiant damage. The Divine Mind may take a -5 to the attack roll and add +10 damage.

Halberd: Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (1d10 + 7) radiant damage.

Longbow: Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, range: 600., one target. Hit: 11 (1d8 + 7) radiant damage. This attack ignores half and 3/4 cover.

REACTIONS

Double Shield Defense
: When an attack is made, but before the result is known, the Divine Mind can summon two large tower shields, granting +5 to AC to themself and any adjacent ally. This bonus lasts until the Divine Mind takes another Action or Legendary Action.

Halberd Defense: Whenever a creature moves within 10 ft of the Divine Mind, the Divine Mind may make a Halberd attack.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS (3)

Angelic Attack:
The Divine Mind may make a Greatsword, Halberd, or Longsword attack

Pillar of Divinity (2): The Divine Mind summons a pillar of light with a 5 foot radius anywhere within 60 feet. Any ally (including the Divine Mind) that enters the pillar during their turn or starts their turn in the pillar heals 14 (4d6) damage and gains the effect of a Greater Restoration.

Any enemy instead takes 14 (4d6) radiant damage, and an enemy undead of CR 3 or lower must make a DC 18 wisdom saving throw or be destroyed. The pillar lasts until the ability is used again or the end of the Divine Mind's next turn.

Divine Memory (3): The Divine Mind casts Modify Memory (9th level, DC 18)

Stalker0

Legend
World Soul: This enforcer's body was bound to an entire world, granting it unparalleled physical power. Feeding off the world's energy, a World Soul needs no nourishment, and never tires in its duty. The World Soul has a strength unrivaled, the strength of the world itself.

To fight a World Soul you must also fight the ground, for it erupts at the slightest command. Never tiring, they are relentless until they have met their goal.

World Soul

Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 200
Speed 50 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
30 (+10)20 (+5)20 (+5)15 (+2)15 (+2)15 (+2)

Skills: Athletics (*See World’s Strength), Acrobatics +10
Saving Throws *See Physical Perfection
Condition Immunities Prone, Exhaustion
Senses Tremorsense 500 ft., passive perception 12
Challenge 16 (Offensive CR 19, Defense CR 13)

Battlemind: For every additional Enforcer in the encounter, the World Soul gains a legendary action, and its CR increases by 1.

Physical Perfection: The World Soul automatically passes all strength, dexterity, and constitution saving throws. If there is an effect when these saves are passed, the World Soul does not suffer the effect.

One with the World: The World Soul ignores difficult terrain.

Unending Power: World Souls do not need to eat, drink, sleep, or breathe. When the World soul takes a long rest, if it is touching the ground, it need only rest for 1 minute to gain the benefit.

Absolute Immobility: When the World Soul is touching the ground, unless it wishes, no effect can move it from its current position. This includes teleportation and banishment effects.

World’s Might: The World Soul always has a result of 30 on any strength check, and can long jump up to 100 ft when using the dash action. World Souls add their constitution modifier to their unarmored AC and melee attacks (included in statistics).

ACTIONS
Multiattack
: The World Soul can make two attacks: Any combination of Seismic Strike and Grapple.

Seismic Slam: Melee Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 19 (1d8 + 15) bludgeoning damage and the target must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone

Grapple: The World Soul begins a grapple with a target of any size within 5 ft.

Erupt Earth: The World Soul chooses a 10 foot radius piece of ground within 120 ft. All creatures in the area must make a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw, take 19 (3d12) bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. The area becomes difficult terrain.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS (3)

Indomitable Grip:
Make a Grapple or Seismic Slam attack

Hammer Throw: One grappled creature is thrown 60 feet and knocked prone. If a thrown target strikes the ground or a solid surface, the target takes 21 (6d6) bludgeoning damage. If the target is thrown at another creature, the creature must succeed on a DC 19 Dexterity saving throw or take the same damage and be knocked prone.

World Binding: A target within 300 ft must succeed on a DC 19 Strength saving throw or its flying speed (if any) is reduced to 0 feet for 1 minute. An airborne creature safely descends at 60 feet per round until it reaches the ground for until 1 minute.

Earthquake (Cost: 3 Actions): The World Soul uses the Erupt Earth action, except the area is changed to a 100 ft radius around the World Soul.

Stalker0

Legend
Fate Shaper: For this enforcer, the gods bound the mortal...to itself. Gaining complete control over its own life, the Fate Shaper is able to reach back into its past and alter any choices it has ever made. By making the best possible choices, the Fate Shaper becomes the perfection of the mortal form, carrying the best stats that a mortal could hope to achieve. In addition, a Fate Shaper's position is simply the result of a past choice, one easily changed. This allows a Fate Shaper to change position easily and endlessly.

While the Fate Shaper cannot alter the fates of other creatures, it can use its power to deny them choice at all... turning creatures into stunned vegetables.

To fight a Fate Shaper is not to fight 1, but 1000 lives. Constantly shifting and reforming, any damage the Fate Shaper feels is but a momentary inconvenience. As such they fight fearlessly, often rushing around the edges of battle, willing to absorb attacks meant for their allies, knowing that in a slightly altered life, they will take no damage at all.

Fate Shaper

Armor Class 17 (Leather Armor)
Hit Points 100
Speed 30 ft.

STRDEXCONINTWISCHA
20 (+5)20 (+5)20 (+5)20 (+5)20 (+5)20 (+5)

Senses blind sense 200 ft., passive perception 15
Challenge 13 (Offensive CR 9, Defense CR 16)

Battlemind: For every additional Enforcer in the encounter, the Fate Shaper gains a legendary action, and its CR increases by 2.

Alertness: The Fate Shaper gains +5 to initiative and can’t be surprised.

Fate Sight: The Fate Shaper can tell if any creature within 200 ft is alive or dead.

Protected Life: The Fate Shaper is immune from any effect that instantly kills it, reduces its maximum hp, or prevents healing.

Arsenal of Destiny: The Fate Shaper can create chains instantly and at will. These chains disappear if a person who has been grappled in them is freed.

Reform Self: When the Fate Shaper is reduced to 0 hitpoints and possesses legendary actions, it doesn't die or fall unconscious. Instead, all conditions and effects it is suffering end for it, it regains 100 hp, permanently loses 1 legendary action, and can immediately take the Slip action. An effect or rest that can remove 1 level of exhaustion can return a legendary action lost in this way.

ACTIONS
Multiattack
: The Fate Shaper can make two attacks: Chains of Fate twice, or Slip and Chains of Fate.

Chains of Fate. Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d6 + 5) bludgeoning damage. If the target is Large or smaller, it must succeed on a DC 16 Strength saving throw or is grappled (escape DC 16), wrapped in chains. A grappled target is stunned until released from the chains. Another creature can free the target from the chains using the same check.

Slip. The fate Shaper magically teleports, along with any equipment it is wearing and carrying, up to 60 feet to an unoccupied space it can see.

REACTIONS
Slippery Defense
: When the fate shaper is the target of an attack, it can use its Slip action to teleport and the attack is automatically a miss.

Sentinel: If an attack targets an ally within 60 ft of the Fate Shaper, but before the attack is rolled, the Fate Shaper may use his slip ability to move adjacent to the target, and become the new target of the attack.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS (2)

Chains
: The fate shaper can make one Chains of Fate attack.

Fate Shift: The fate shaper can use its Slip action.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases