New Horizon Development | Coming Q1 2020

Now that I'm working on chapter 3 of the campaign featured in the core book, I figured I would make this chapter as versatile as I could. By the time you reach this point in the campaign, your hero will likely be almost maxed out and likely in the quest to obtain the top classes and abilities. Chapter 3 can be played in any order, this is where you really get to go and explore the world to its fullest. You aren't bound by one main event that keeps you within a certain continent. Even though the previous two chapters don't prohibit players from going exploring the world in its entirety, but the odds you'll get your character killed are about 150% higher. Chapter 3, will push players to the limit with random quests you may partake to fight the toughest foes in the world. All with its own rewards!

Here is an example of the first quest you'll find in chapter 3. This could be your 10th, or 30th if you wish so. Quest #001, is a follow up of a very special event you witness while sailing the Arcadian sea in chapter 1. Meet the Spitzfraun race. An outer worldly alien race inspired by the show Ancient Aliens. Laugh Now

The Spitzfraun name comes from the combination of the German words, Spitz and Frau. Or pointy, Mrs. the letter N, was then added so it would create a name you can't find anywhere else but in the world of Ezora. The Spitzfraun is an all female NPC race from the world's moon, Xanadu. Hence the name Xanadulian Spitzfraun. Laugh Harder

What they're doing in Ezora still a mystery!

pg.155-Chapter3_2.jpg

Let's say one of these aliens KOs your hero. The three turn rule goes by, and your character is permanently dead. What now? All your hard work gone!? Yes, kind of. But before you rage quit, you should have known better to keep some restorative items or spells in stock. It's not the GMs fault your PC died. New Horizon is designed to give players the ultimate challenge. This isn't a walk in the park, enemies are unmerciful. Thanks to the family tree system, you'll get another chance to continue. Not as your character, but as his or hers offspring (aka child). The little bastard, will pass through a genome filtering process which will add and subtract some key stats from his mommy and daddy. You'll begin anew from level 1, but stronger. By the time the kid reaches top level, he or she will be stronger than their parents were! And so on, and on...

You can start your family tree as early as chapter 1, or as late as chapter 3. This will keep players from having an emotional breakdown when their heroes get crushed in the game. Remember to pick your foes wisely, the game is designed to be unforgiving...

pg.28-FamTree.jpg

Due to the high amount of controversial content you may find in the NH core book, I've gone ahead and drafted a label to paste in the sales page in November.

rating.jpg

During chapter 3, there's a secondary objective in a quest. These "objectives" are completely optional. I thought about building a small tournament system for 1-on-1 battles. It's a good way to earn rewards at any time, while practicing through all of the combat mechanics available in the game. Players could even face teammates in the last few rounds of the tournament, this should make things very interesting for some. Once more, most of the events featured in chapter three can be played parallel to the previous chapters in the book.

pg.161-Chapter3_8.jpg

I've spent this week working on Quest #002 | Chapter 3, of the New Horizon: all-in-one core book.
By now you've already seen the game is mostly based around knights and mythological beasts. But that's not all the game has to offer, during the campaign you'll experience a lot more than just aimless combat. There's many things you can do, including NPC interactions with all sorts of outcome.

Today I bring you one page of Quest #002. If you got to this point in the quest, it was because you chose to keep going. There's no such thing as making you do it. The game gives you many liberties. Ludens 2.0, is a complete system overhaul from the original K&L, and to be honest it's hardly backwards compatible. Some may see NH as 3e, others could see it as a reboot. It won't be up to me to say what it is, you must experience it yourself.

The quest is set in Kenjiwah, a spinoff of Japan and China combined. (Mostly Japan)
You travel there on vacation, to enjoy the coast in this tropical paradise. Kenjiwah residents have a very strong code of honor, more than any other nation in Ezora. You're offered the option to participate in a tournament about to take place, you don't have to. You meet some flirtatious asian style girls there, they are happy to see so many foreigners in their country, you could also get massage therapy that will temporarily boost spirit. But there's some drama! A wealthy Kenji lord, Oroshi Nobunaga, is set to marry 4 virgins by the names of Fukimi, Saori, Naomi, and Fook-Yu.

Their families gifted them in exchange of status. The ladies aren't happy about it, and two consider committing harakiri. Whether you choose to help them out or not is entirely up to you. But if you choose such path, then you must crash the wedding ceremony and challenge Nobunaga for a duel. By defeating him, you get to keep his katana, a rarity forged by the renown blacksmith Krem O'hul. The quest doesn't end there, the ladies can't go back to their families! Will you help them escape the island? Could love blossom from this tragic oriental based parody drama? They feel like they owe you their lives, and are willing to cook and clean for the party. However, you know you can't bring them along with you in your dangerous journeys. If you tie the knot, you could buy a home and even bear children (your successor), although that will cost you up to 1/2 of your weekly earnings.

As you can see, the game will bring you a lot of suspense, drama, gore, and much more. There's more to New Horizon than just "Knights & Legends" and you'll enjoy it.

The page below still has to go through editing, and it's just a preview. :)

pg.164-Chapter3_11db2972d7986a7aa4.jpg

Edit: I've replaced the image with a newer version featuring a sharper edit to the katana artwork.

Last edited:

Chapter 3 | Quest #003

The first part of the quest, sets focus in summoning players to Elmora. There, they'll unveil the secret behind the ancient obelisk. The abyssal world, will open up infinite possibilities to those who take advantage of the adventure building system featured in the book. You're no longer bound to just one world!

pg.171-Chapter3_18.jpg

A plan for a free OGL-style license is being drafted. You could build and sell your own adventures if it becomes concrete.

However, "checks" will be put into place at the game's official website, once it's redesigned. This will help validate products done in good faith.
Protecting buyers from abuse, and avoiding past events, where few people tried to use my IP without permission.

Expect to hear more about the licensing process in the near future! The full steps will be included in the book. After all, you can't write an adventure without owning a legal copy of the core book. That would mean you'd have to enter your purchase receipt number along with your licensing inquiry. That doesn't apply for classic K&L! It has its own paid non-exclusive licensing in place, and it will remain that way.

New Horizon, brings the excitement back to the table with a newly formatted all-in-one, standalone, tabletop RPG. If you aren't familiar with the Knights & Legends universe, NH is the perfect starting point. You'll be introduced to a freshly redesigned core system, and experience a bloodbath in combat with severed limbs, impairing debilities and illnesses, along with the brand new, parry & counter combat maneuver, which will reduce your foes to cinders.

The new family tree system, like never seen before, takes your character to their roots. You control your destiny. If your character dies, or becomes too old to fight, their offspring could takeover their role. Now you can build an entire bloodline of your favorite characters, and ease the pain.

banner1.jpg

NHcollage.jpg

The game introduces a new level system, redesigned skills, spells, and armory. The new level system enables countless new character customizations to take place. No two heroes will ever look alike! All of this was made possible, thanks to the feedback and support of fans.

The campaign setting, guarantees to keep players hooked until the very end of their journey. Wait, is there an end? Craft your custom adventures anytime you'd like, and keep on going! Slay frightening beasts of dark mythology, including but not limited to, Ghouls, Goblins, Chimeras, Hydras, Griffins, Succubi, and even the almighty Archdragon itself. These are just some of the many exciting and unique new things awaiting in this original dark fantasy adventure.

For licensing inquiries, please visit the game's website.

As seen here: NH Early Release Details – NEW HORIZON BY FELIX, J.

Thank you for your interest in New Horizon! It came to my attention some people out there, were a bit puzzled to see the game release 3 and a 1/2 months early. I don't blame them, let's clarify things up!

Understanding sudden changes of plan in game development: Being an Indie developer has it's advantages, I wrote the 180 page game book all by myself, and all artwork was licensed from independent artists. The deadline was originally set to Q1 2020 which means the game was going to debut at some point in January 2020. However, some factors made me change my mind, and I decided to release the game early. By early, it doesn't mean rushed or unfinished. It means less content than planned.

Everything comes at a cost: In my case, as an Indie developer that's been in the tabletop industry for roughly a year and half. I realized something, it's not about how many pages a game book has, but its content. New Horizon, is a complete experience as it is. The game's current index page is displayed below. Originally the game was going to have 224 pages, with a retail price of $14.99. Keeping in mind those 44 pages would be entirely dedicated to the fourth chapter. But the game already felt very much complete, and the fourth chapter felt like a cheeseburger too many. It leaves you wanting more, but in the good sense of the word.

pg.2-Index-791x1024.jpg

Supplements are planned to start kicking in around February 2020. Some will be free, and others will cost significantly low prices. New Horizon is a very unique experience, and I'll do my best to keep customers happy with their purchase. The game retails for $9.99, and can be found exclusively at DTRPG. In response to some concerns of not enough content being displayed, I went ahead and addressed the problem by releasing a whole lot of content out there. I can surely understand $10.00 could be a small fortune to some, specially when you have a family and a home to maintain. It was with that thought in mind, I made the decision to cut chapter 4 out and make the book available to the public for significantly less.

It's a win for everyone! As an independent game designer I benefit from certain freedoms other "Pros" don't, and I try to make the most out of it. I thank you for checking out New Horizon, and please keep an eye out for exciting new things in the near future.

Remove ads